Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club. - Page 526

post #5251 of 7181
Update, looks like this new windowed version of the TJ08B-EW will be for sale and in stock in the US the week before Xmas.....so anyone wanting one a heads up. Looks like I'll be waiting the extra month for it.
post #5252 of 7181
So assuming keeping the stock size fan(but not necessarily the fan itself)combined with a 35MM thick radiator.........in the stock front location.....exactly how long of a video card can you run?
post #5253 of 7181
Having done about a month's worth of research, I can tell you there's pretty much only about 3 cases worth looking at if you're planning to run 2 graphics cards and want to maximize your air flow.

1. this case
2. Fractal's "arc mini" line: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/arc-series/arc-mini-r2
3. Lian Li's "PC-A04" http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-a04/ and "PC-V600F" http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v600f/ The v600 basically just has some LEDs and is more expensive, but they are basically the same case otherwise.

The price ramps up for each case in that order, but the Silverstone is the smallest case (although not the lightest, because it is made of metal).

The reason I liked the Silverstone the best is purely due to the front panel inputs and power buttons. I want to be able to place my case on my desktop, or onto a shelf with a low top clearance - the silverstone is the only case that allows that.

Also of note is that the silverstone is the only case that reverses the motherboard orientation, and as a result of that, the "window" (if you choose to mod one, or wait for the new design) is on the right side of the case instead of the left.

There are a few other things I like about the TJ08's design that the others are lacking - it has support braces for the heatsink and first video card. You can put an ssd and hdd into the bottom of the case and completely free up the air passageway to the processor.

The only thing that bothers me about the case is the space for a heatsink, and what you will have to do in order to fit a large one into it. Any heatsink that has a "push"-side fan will not allow hard drives to be mounted in the 3.5" bays. People are fitting those larger heat sinks into the case by either changing the orientation of the bay, not installing a HDD into them, or changing the fan to the "pull" side of the heat sink.

My own plan is to not install more than one HDD, and to put that HDD into the bottom of the case in the lower 3.5" expansion slot.

I'm planning to get the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler w/Dual NF-P12 Silent Fans. I know that you can fit a larger fan into it, but I don't think it will limit my overclocking much, and I think the 14 models are a bit overkill honestly.

Another note - you are going to need low profile ram. It's not talked about too much, but the issue is high profile ram can bump into either the heat sink or the 3.5" bays.

If you are planning to crossfire/sli, remember that most/all matx boards switch from PCIex16 to PCIex8 - this is pretty normal though and nothing to worry about.

I'm not planning to crossfire my board mainly because I will only ever have a single 1440p monitor. my desk doesn't have room for anything larger. So whenever it comes time to upgrade my graphics card, I'm just going to replace the existing one with something better.

Right now I'm looking at either the radeon 290 or the gtx 780. Of the two cards, the radeons are reporting that they run quite hot and a bit louder than the 780s, however they seem to be cheaper. I just noticed a Gigabyte 780 last week though that was quite reasonable in price, so I think those cards are going to come down in price by the time I get ready to buy one.
Edited by Leviathan25 - 11/19/13 at 5:38pm
post #5254 of 7181
Without the drive cage I don't think you'll have am issue with even the longest cards out there.

As for that window, isn't it sorta small?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @ 4.5ghz Gigabyte X99m gaming  Zotac amp extreme 980 ti  4x4gb Corsair lpx ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250gb Samsung 840 evo 500gb Custom loop Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710 Corsair k65 rgb Silverstone sst-st85f-p 850w silver Thermaltake view 31  
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 rgb Sound blaster z  
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @ 4.5ghz Gigabyte X99m gaming  Zotac amp extreme 980 ti  4x4gb Corsair lpx ddr4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250gb Samsung 840 evo 500gb Custom loop Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Qnix QX2710 Corsair k65 rgb Silverstone sst-st85f-p 850w silver Thermaltake view 31  
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 rgb Sound blaster z  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5255 of 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

So assuming keeping the stock size fan(but not necessarily the fan itself)combined with a 35MM thick radiator.........in the stock front location.....exactly how long of a video card can you run?

When I had a rad in the front, I was planning on getting a 6990, but it was JUST too long. Any other "normal" length card should fit fine
post #5256 of 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeblood View Post

When I had a rad in the front, I was planning on getting a 6990, but it was JUST too long. Any other "normal" length card should fit fine
How long was that card? How thick was your rad/fan setup? Im looking at doing a pair of 290's in the case, but would like to be able to put in a 35mm radiator with a 32mm fan. The cards I think are about 11" each. The fan/radiator combo I believe is about 3" thick. So between the fan/radiator and card........14" total......???? Fit?

So card length....+ radiator+ fan would be a generous 14"(355mm). The case depth from outside edge to outside edge is 385 mm........that would give about 1.25" of play on both ends of the case............would love if someone could take a ruler to and post a picture of the inside measurements of the case. From the I/o slots right to the front of the frame where the fan or radiator would attach to. smile.gif Anyone want to toss this old dog a bone? smile.gif


Those 6990's are what? 12" long? Would it have fit for you if you had an extra inch clearance? Do you remember any measurements off hand?
Edited by ZippyPinhead - 11/19/13 at 4:57pm
post #5257 of 7181
I actually have a similar question about cooling.

I'm planning to use an Asus 787M-Plus in this board, and an i7 4770k.

From what research I've done, the only heatsinks that will fit in this case and still allow the hard drive bays to be used are single-fan models where the fan is set in a "pull" position.

Examples:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-120mm/dp/B0068OI7T8
Thermalright True Spirit 120: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-Spirit-120-BW-Cooler/dp/B00AUVK392/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384911826&sr=1-1&keywords=thermalright+true+spirit+120m
Noctual u12s: http://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-U12S/dp/B00C76RL5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384911888&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+u12s

In each case, basically the way it works is that you put the fan on the back of the heat sink and "pull" air towards the vent in the back of the case.

Doing this leaves just barely enough room to install hard drives in the 3.5" bay.

In order to install fans that are deeper, or to install the fan in a "push" position, you have to not put anything into the 3.5" bay (or you have to mod it to a new position).

My question is fairly straightforward, but I've never found a good answer to it.

If I want to overclock an i7, will the heatsinks I've listed above work fine in a pull position for that? I don't want or need to OC to an extreme level, but I'd like to get a good boost to performance and value.

If you say something like "it can't be done" or "it won't work", then the next step is to look at larger heatsinks - at that point size isn't really an issue. It's just simply that I'd like to keep the option of using the 3.5% bay if at all possible, without having to do any heavy mods to the case.

(Just to clarify, I don't want to watercool the case, and I'd like to look at air solutions first.)

Edit: if all else fails, then I would get a NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 or the larger Noctua NH-D14 PWM fan, but I would still like to use the u12 rather than the nh-d14 due to being a quieter fan.

Edit: Doing some more reading and I find that I should look for fans that have "PWM" controles - 4 pins. The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 does not support PWM apparently.
Edited by Leviathan25 - 11/19/13 at 6:39pm
post #5258 of 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

How long was that card? How thick was your rad/fan setup? Im looking at doing a pair of 290's in the case, but would like to be able to put in a 35mm radiator with a 32mm fan. The cards I think are about 11" each. The fan/radiator combo I believe is about 3" thick. So between the fan/radiator and card........14" total......???? Fit?

So card length....+ radiator+ fan would be a generous 14"(355mm). The case depth from outside edge to outside edge is 385 mm........that would give about 1.25" of play on both ends of the case............would love if someone could take a ruler to and post a picture of the inside measurements of the case. From the I/o slots right to the front of the frame where the fan or radiator would attach to. smile.gif Anyone want to toss this old dog a bone? smile.gif


Those 6990's are what? 12" long? Would it have fit for you if you had an extra inch clearance? Do you remember any measurements off hand?

I had a pair or GTX580s which are 10.5inch with stock fan and Magicool 180 rad. All fitted with no issue what so ever
post #5259 of 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeblood View Post

I had a pair or GTX580s which are 10.5inch with stock fan and Magicool 180 rad. All fitted with no issue what so ever
Would you say you had at least an inch of clearance between the 2?
post #5260 of 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan25 View Post

I actually have a similar question about cooling.

I'm planning to use an Asus 787M-Plus in this board, and an i7 4770k.

From what research I've done, the only heatsinks that will fit in this case and still allow the hard drive bays to be used are single-fan models where the fan is set in a "pull" position.

Examples:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-120mm/dp/B0068OI7T8
Thermalright True Spirit 120: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-Spirit-120-BW-Cooler/dp/B00AUVK392/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384911826&sr=1-1&keywords=thermalright+true+spirit+120m
Noctual u12s: http://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-U12S/dp/B00C76RL5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1384911888&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+u12s

In each case, basically the way it works is that you put the fan on the back of the heat sink and "pull" air towards the vent in the back of the case.

Doing this leaves just barely enough room to install hard drives in the 3.5" bay.

In order to install fans that are deeper, or to install the fan in a "push" position, you have to not put anything into the 3.5" bay (or you have to mod it to a new position).

My question is fairly straightforward, but I've never found a good answer to it.

If I want to overclock an i7, will the heatsinks I've listed above work fine in a pull position for that? I don't want or need to OC to an extreme level, but I'd like to get a good boost to performance and value.

If you say something like "it can't be done" or "it won't work", then the next step is to look at larger heatsinks - at that point size isn't really an issue. It's just simply that I'd like to keep the option of using the 3.5% bay if at all possible, without having to do any heavy mods to the case.

(Just to clarify, I don't want to watercool the case, and I'd like to look at air solutions first.)

Edit: if all else fails, then I would get a NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 or the larger Noctua NH-D14 PWM fan, but I would still like to use the u12 rather than the nh-d14 due to being a quieter fan.

Edit: Doing some more reading and I find that I should look for fans that have "PWM" controles - 4 pins. The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 does not support PWM apparently.

Question for you: How many hard drives do you plan on installing, and what size? 2.5" or 3.5" drives? Also what do you plan on having populate the 2 5.25" bays up top?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club.