Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club. - Page 77

post #761 of 7172
im getting mine here in 2 or 3 days xD its gonna be awesome to switch from my old cosmos s to this thing biggrin.gif
post #762 of 7172
Hi,

A fast question. If I remove the hard drive cage, in the bottom bay there is space for one 3.5" drive, and a 2.5" drive, isn't it? Anyone has pics of how looks that bottom bay with those 2 drives installed?

I'm considering to buy this case (or the PS07B) but I recently moved to UK and it's being hard to find this case at good price, any idea? :S

Thanks.
post #763 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBug View Post

Hi,
A fast question. If I remove the hard drive cage, in the bottom bay there is space for one 3.5" drive, and a 2.5" drive, isn't it? Anyone has pics of how looks that bottom bay with those 2 drives installed?
I'm considering to buy this case (or the PS07B) but I recently moved to UK and it's being hard to find this case at good price, any idea? :S
Thanks.

you can get the PS07 for cheap at scan
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-precision-ps07b-usb-30-tower-micro-atx-black
its the TJ08 but with two 120mm's at the front and a different front faceplate

and with regards to uk retailers, if you are new, here is a quick list
scan
ebuyer
yoyotech (london but they post)
dabs
ccl
ocuk
amazon uk
novatech

^ are the most popular ones!
Main
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Rampage Gene-Z EVGA GTX570 DS G-Skill sniper 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120Gb SSD + 1tbf3 H70 + typhoon Windows 7 24" Samsung P2450 
PowerCase
600w Modxstream Silverstone Ps07 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K Rampage Gene-Z EVGA GTX570 DS G-Skill sniper 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120Gb SSD + 1tbf3 H70 + typhoon Windows 7 24" Samsung P2450 
PowerCase
600w Modxstream Silverstone Ps07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #764 of 7172
Think I have my rig in pretty much its final form. Just a few thoughts on the build and my experiences:
1. I had a lot of trouble with the front intake fan. At first I thought my AP181 was broken because when plugged in to the sys fan header on my z68ma-d2h-b3 mobo, the fan would not spin at all on low setting and would not spin at full speed when on hi setting. It was also pretty noisy. Once I figured out it was because of insufficient power from the mobo I plugged the AP181 into a molex direct from the power supply. Then the fan ran at proper speeds. However for my tastes I found that the fan was too loud on both speed settings (Nothing wrong with the fan as it clearly moved a lot of air and is designed as a hi-flow fan as a priority over silence). I tried getting a Phobya 180mm 700rpm fan to replace it but found that this fan had a slight wobble to it which also made it annoying acoustically. I finally settled on a 140mm Noctua fan that I surrounded with foam to plug the gap in the fan port on the front of the case. This is pretty quiet but doesn't move as much air as the 180mm fans. What I really learned in this build is that if you want to prioritize silence you really need to pick the case for that up front and get something with a hinged front panel with sound dampening such as the fractal design define mini (the case I wish I had bought in retrospect). I'm not putting the TJ08b-e down at all; it's a really well built and designed case that prioritizes maximum air cooling over silence.

2. I added this silverstone acoustic foam to pretty much every interior surface of my TJ08:
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-21-Inch-Dampening-Acoustic-SF01/dp/B0040JHMH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327497256&sr=8-1
The installation was pretty easy as long as you cut it precisely and apply it slowly by rolling it off of the backing and onto the side panels. It didn't make a tremendous difference but I suspect that this is more because there's nothing you can really do about having a fan in the front of the case with nothing between it and one's ears.

3. I removed the TJ08b-e hard drive cage entirely. Instead, I put my 1.5TB 3.5 inch drive into this:
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-2HC2-HDD-Cooler/dp/B000292DHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327497395&sr=8-1
and mounted it in the bottom 5.25 inch bay up top. I mounted it upside down so that the front fan is blowing over the heat pipes of the hard drive holder. I also zip tied my ssd to the hard drive to keep both drives in the same location. My bottom 3.5 external bay was occupied by a rosewill card reader.

4. As many have noted, taking the front panel off to replace the front 180mm fan is a bit of a pain, and I've done it ~10 times. However, what I did notice was that it's tricky mostly because the screws are a little too small for a standard sized screwdriver and a little too big for typical precision screwdriver sets used for glasses repair. This prompted me to buy this set up small screwdrivers:
http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26194-Screwdriver-Phillips-Precision/dp/B000NZ5QGK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327497653&sr=8-3
These are a bit pricey but totally awesome and I think a good investment for future builds. I really can't recommend these enough to any system builder. They ooze quality.

5. I replaced the fan on my Hyper212+ with a gentle typhoon 1450rpm fan with motherboard speed control. At low speeds this fan is great. At high speeds there is an annoying tonal whine to it from the bearings. In my opinion the hype on this fan is a little overblown but maybe I just got a bad copy.

6. I flashed the bios on my gtx570 to allow for fan speeds lower than %40 which is the lowest these cards are allowed to go regardless of temperature. This made a significant impact on the quietness of the system at idle since the fans can now spin at around %10 and still keep the card very cool.

So at the end of the day I'm satisfied with my build. It's pretty quiet at idle and decently quiet under load (by my own admittedly picky standards). If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the define mini case instead to emphasize silence, but you live and you learn. Again I don't mean to come across as negative towards the TJ08; it's a great case and does exactly what it should do (great build quality and tons of air flow), I just picked the wrong tool for the job for my picky ears. smile.gif
sugs
(13 items)
 
hdplex h3 htpc
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX MSI GTX660ti Samsung Green 2x4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 4 nope Thermalright AXP-140 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP ZR24w K800 SG08 PSU SilverstoneSG08 
Mouse
G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 Asus H61 mini-itx integrated intel hd3000 2x2gb g.skill eco ram 
Hard DriveOSCase
intel X-25m 80gb ssd Windows 7 x64 hdplex h3 
  hide details  
Reply
sugs
(13 items)
 
hdplex h3 htpc
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX MSI GTX660ti Samsung Green 2x4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 4 nope Thermalright AXP-140 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP ZR24w K800 SG08 PSU SilverstoneSG08 
Mouse
G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 Asus H61 mini-itx integrated intel hd3000 2x2gb g.skill eco ram 
Hard DriveOSCase
intel X-25m 80gb ssd Windows 7 x64 hdplex h3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #765 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipesto93 View Post

you can get the PS07 for cheap at scan
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-precision-ps07b-usb-30-tower-micro-atx-black
its the TJ08 but with two 120mm's at the front and a different front faceplate
and with regards to uk retailers, if you are new, here is a quick list
scan
ebuyer
yoyotech (london but they post)
dabs
ccl
ocuk
amazon uk
novatech
^ are the most popular ones!

Thanks!
post #766 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by decapitor View Post

4. As many have noted, taking the front panel off to replace the front 180mm fan is a bit of a pain, and I've done it ~10 times. However, what I did notice was that it's tricky mostly because the screws are a little too small for a standard sized screwdriver and a little too big for typical precision screwdriver sets used for glasses repair. This prompted me to buy this set up small screwdrivers:
http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26194-Screwdriver-Phillips-Precision/dp/B000NZ5QGK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327497653&sr=8-3
These are a bit pricey but totally awesome and I think a good investment for future builds. I really can't recommend these enough to any system builder. They ooze quality.

That is my main complaint about Silverstone's cases. The Wiha's are definitely nice, but I am suspecting the screws are all JIS Phillips - but I do not yet have a set to try out on it frown.gif If even my brand new Snap-On screw drivers don't fit well enough to not rape the fastener, either the fastener is a different standard or just plain junk.

FWIW - if you look at any Japanese car or motorcycle and see a dot stamped into the head of a Phillips screw, you've just found a JIS fastener. American/Euro is a different standard, and so our standard tools don't fit quite right.
Smalls
(9 items)
 
HTPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570 Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Windows 7 Home 64 Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF 
Case
Silverstone SG05-450 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 560 MSI 785GM-P45 MSI HD6570 1GB DDR3 Microcenter/A-Data DDR3 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Samsung Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 32 Bit Vizio 26" LED/LCD TV Antec Earthwatts 380 w/modded fan SilverStone Milo ML03B 
Other
Hauppauge 2250 Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Smalls
(9 items)
 
HTPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570 Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Windows 7 Home 64 Bit Silverstone SST-ST45SF 
Case
Silverstone SG05-450 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X2 560 MSI 785GM-P45 MSI HD6570 1GB DDR3 Microcenter/A-Data DDR3 4GB 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Samsung Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 32 Bit Vizio 26" LED/LCD TV Antec Earthwatts 380 w/modded fan SilverStone Milo ML03B 
Other
Hauppauge 2250 Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #767 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipesto93 View Post


and with regards to uk retailers, if you are new, here is a quick list
scan
ebuyer
yoyotech (london but they post)
dabs
ccl
ocuk
amazon uk
novatech
^ are the most popular ones!

knowledge like this need to be stickied somewhere.
also what tax rates are for each area since some countries have a HEAVY tax rate for imported computer goods.
post #768 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by decapitor View Post

So at the end of the day I'm satisfied with my build. It's pretty quiet at idle and decently quiet under load (by my own admittedly picky standards). If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the define mini case instead to emphasize silence, but you live and you learn. Again I don't mean to come across as negative towards the TJ08; it's a great case and does exactly what it should do (great build quality and tons of air flow), I just picked the wrong tool for the job for my picky ears. smile.gif

it is possible to go even more quiet with a fan controller on the AP181. personally i went with a rheosmart6 for my FT02. do realize the AP181 has a high/low switch already and the fan controller can only operate within that range. meaning if you have the switch on low, then the fan will never go above the max speed of the low(700ish RPM) setting and if you have the fan switched to high, the fan will never fall below 700rpm if you use the automatic control. with manual control, you can have the full range speed control, but with automatic it just wont go below the 700rpm of that switch. it's possible that is a limitation of my motherboard not allowing full range control in automatic mode tho.
post #769 of 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBug View Post

Hi,
A fast question. If I remove the hard drive cage, in the bottom bay there is space for one 3.5" drive, and a 2.5" drive, isn't it? Anyone has pics of how looks that bottom bay with those 2 drives installed?

700

Here you can see that the ssd mounts directly to the bottom of the case underneath the 3.5" HDD and points towards the rear of the case.
post #770 of 7172
Many many thanks again wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Silverstone TJ08-E Owners Club.