Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › OC - MSI GTX 580 Lightning, Help Appreciated !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OC - MSI GTX 580 Lightning, Help Appreciated !

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Greetings,

I would like to Overclock my GTX 580 Lightning, my i7-2600k was no problemo getting a stable OC but i heard you should be more careful with your GFX's. Therefore i would like to ask you these questions:

1, Which program should i use to OC my GFX with ?
2, To check for heat temperatures would MSI Afterburner be a proper product ?
3, What would max Voltages be for 24/7 use ?
4, Is there any guide around this site to OC a GTX 580 or even better a 580 Lightning ?


The OC is only for a few fast benches together with my CPU OC, however i would like to stay within proper safe range of voltages.


Regards
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 16
1. MSI Afterburner will be fine
2. Again MSI AB will be fine
3. I would start with 1.1v, which should get you to 950 core, and then tweak the core until you can get it stable
4. I'm sure if you search you can find something

You're just benching this? So you'll leave the card factory clocked for 24/7? Question 3 confuses me when you say it's only for benches.

If you're just benching, then I wouldn't be afraid to push 1.175-1.2v through it and shoot for a 1ghz+ core.
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Actually i'm trying to tweak my GPU aswell, so imma follow up on this thread smile.gif
LAN Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k @ 5.1GHz, 1.424VCore Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Win7 Professional, 64Bit SyncMaster 214T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 SilverStone 1000watt 80+ Silver SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) Logitech G9X 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
LAN Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k @ 5.1GHz, 1.424VCore Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Win7 Professional, 64Bit SyncMaster 214T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 SilverStone 1000watt 80+ Silver SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) Logitech G9X 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries QcK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCon View Post
Thanks for the reply matey

Yes its only for benches and i will probably leave the Voltage and Frequencies at stock after benching the different programs But 1.1Volt (thats VDDC on a graphics card right?) should be stable for 24/7 use ?
Well you ninja edited before I could answer...not sure why you have two accounts.

Yes, 1.1v or under would get you a great 24/7 OC and that will be fine for the card. But again, I don't know why you're asking about 24/7 voltages when you're only benching shortly?
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCon View Post
Actually i'm trying to tweak my GPU aswell, so imma follow up on this thread
No problem


Quote:
1. MSI Afterburner will be fine
2. Again MSI AB will be fine
3. I would start with 1.1v, which should get you to 950 core, and then tweak the core until you can get it stable
4. I'm sure if you search you can find something

You're just benching this? So you'll leave the card factory clocked for 24/7? Question 3 confuses me when you say it's only for benches.

If you're just benching, then I wouldn't be afraid to push 1.175-1.2v through it and shoot for a 1ghz+ core.
Thanks for the reply

Well i want to stay within the same safe range when i do benches as if wanted a 24/7 OC usage. Which means that even tho its just for a fast few benches i would like to stay safe with my voltages.
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
Well you ninja edited before I could answer...not sure why you have two accounts.

Yes, 1.1v or under would get you a great 24/7 OC and that will be fine for the card. But again, I don't know why you're asking about 24/7 voltages when you're only benching shortly?
Naah, not two accounts My friend is BCon but he doesn't want to act like a noob ^^ He knows OC for sure but is at sucky as me when its GFX OC, we live together in same appartment.

So everytime his asking for a question he wants me to use my user
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLareSTAR View Post
No problem




Thanks for the reply

Well i want to stay within the same safe range when i do benches as if wanted a 24/7 OC usage. Which means that even tho its just for a fast few benches i would like to stay safe with my voltages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLareSTAR View Post
Naah, not two accounts My friend is BCon but he doesn't want to act like a noob ^^ He knows OC for sure but is at sucky as me when its GFX OC, we live together in same appartment.

So everytime his asking for a question he wants me to use my user
Ah I understand. Well yeah, 1.1v should get you 950 core and be able to run through benches. If you really wanted you could do 1.2v too if it was getting your more clocks, some people I've seen run 1.15v 24/7

However, first test the GPU at stock clocks with your CPU clock and see how you score...then overclock the GPU. Depending on what benches you are running, your CPU clocks will be bottlenecking your GPU already.

I like 3D Mark 06, and my stock PNY 580 bottle necks my Xeon even at 4.7ghz core. Even a 560 Ti is pretty much bottle necked by my 4.7ghz cpu.
Newer benchmarks which are much heavier GPU based ones may not have as big an issue.
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
Ah I understand. Well yeah, 1.1v should get you 950 core and be able to run through benches. If you really wanted you could do 1.2v too if it was getting your more clocks, some people I've seen run 1.15v 24/7

However, first test the GPU at stock clocks with your CPU clock and see how you score...then overclock the GPU. Depending on what benches you are running, your CPU clocks will be bottlenecking your GPU already.

I like 3D Mark 06, and my stock PNY 580 bottle necks my Xeon even at 4.7ghz core. Even a 560 Ti is pretty much bottle necked by my 4.7ghz cpu.
Newer benchmarks which are much heavier GPU based ones may not have as big an issue.
Thank you Well were goin to use BCons 5.1GHz and hopefully we will get a stable OC with either his or mine lightning gfx, as i guess the chip is as different on a GPU as on a CPU if i'm not wrong ?

At the moment i tested my CPU & GPU at stock frequencies in 3Dmark 11 - P6682, so i tried again just pushing the Core Clock(884) and the Shader Clock(1768) MHz without tweaking the voltages and i reaches a score of approximately P7100. But ain't 3Dmark 06 a bit old, and would it be any handy for todays use ?
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLareSTAR View Post
Thank you Well were goin to use BCons 5.1GHz and hopefully we will get a stable OC with either his or mine lightning gfx, as i guess the chip is as different on a GPU as on a CPU if i'm not wrong ?

At the moment i tested my CPU & GPU at stock frequencies in 3Dmark 11 - P6682, so i tried again just pushing the Core Clock(884) and the Shader Clock(1768) MHz without tweaking the voltages and i reaches a score of approximately P7100. But ain't 3Dmark 06 a bit old, and would it be any handy for todays use ?
5.1 is definitely a step up, use that.

Yup, GPU is just as big a "chance" for getting good one as CPU so test both cards.

Not bad, keep goin and submit to OCN's HWbot team when you get your final scores

Yeah, 3DM6 is from 2006, but it depends on what type of bencher you are I guess...some people bench just for scores, and still use 3DM01 from 2001 lol. A lot of people do actually. It's fun.
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
Test
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 x79-UD3 EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 1.35v low pro 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 Yamakasi Catleap Ducky DK-1087 ST-1000G 
CaseMouse
Lian Li A71F Steelseries - Ikari 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
5.1 is definitely a step up, use that.

Yup, GPU is just as big a "chance" for getting good one as CPU so test both cards.

Not bad, keep goin and submit to OCN's HWbot team when you get your final scores

Yeah, 3DM6 is from 2006, but it depends on what type of bencher you are I guess...some people bench just for scores, and still use 3DM01 from 2001 lol. A lot of people do actually. It's fun.
Well, i actually do not bench to show others my setup, as i know for the fact that a billion people has at least twice the score as i, running there extreme systems. I bench to see how me myself has improved the system and stuff Also so that i can turn back for a minor OC once i feel like it Probably i will post the scores here, but that would only be to see if the score matches my system as it should But a +rep will be given to you within short time as i appreciate your help or rather WE
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
My RIG
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning 2 x 4GB Ripjaws @ 1600MHz CL 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
Samsung SpinPoint F3 @ 1 Tera Byte Sony Optiarc Corsair AX 850w 80+ Gold SilverStone Fortress FT02 B-W (2.0) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › OC - MSI GTX 580 Lightning, Help Appreciated !