Originally Posted by 45nm
What you could have done was purchased a Z68/P67 along with a 2500K/2600K and then waited for March-April of 2012 to upgrade to LGA1155 Ivy Bridge.
I play with VSYNC on and maintain 60FPS in pretty much every game I play at the highest settings, and unless a 2500/2600K was going to improve my gaming experience, it wasn't going to be worth it for me to make a switch. First gen i7s at 4.2+ Ghz will not bottleneck anything but OC'd tri-GPU setups these days.
On the other hand, I can definitely find use for the additional 2 cores on an SB-E chip, but I won't pay for an i7 970-990 now if it's going to cost roughly the same or a little less for the SB-E hexacore variant, which should definitely help improve performance for upcoming games like BF3, etc.
Six months for me isn't that long to wait, and i can't see waiting an additional 3 months for Ivy since a 5Ghz SB-E will probably be just as sufficient for gaming.