Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Need advice between 2gb 6950 and 2gb 6970 crossfire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need advice between 2gb 6950 and 2gb 6970 crossfire - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Don't hold me to this, but it will depend on the game you are playing.

Play any game optimized for up to 4 threads? Play a GPU heavy game like Crysis 2? Then no, your CPU will handle dual 6970/6950's. Just because Sandy Bridge can squeeze an extra 500Mhz on each core compared to a 955 doesn't mean that your CPU is rubbish.

The only place I see the CPU bottlenecking is in games that are CPU intensive and perhaps only optimized for 2 cores. See a heavily modded Oblivion as an example (it really only uses 1 core). That is where a Sandy Bridge will beat out a 955, because they can push 4.5Ghz on that 1 core compared to 3.85Ghz. That's almost 17% more processing power wriggle room that the SB can use to utilize the graphics card.

It will all depend on the games you play, but don't let the Intel guys tell you that the Phenom II will bottleneck the current gen of cards in games. Unless you really need the extra 5-7fps, you can play almost any game maxed out with your setup. Phenom II and SB have the same playability factor, SB will just always do better on the charts.

that's just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt.
Edited by modinn - 7/19/11 at 7:07am
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modinn View Post
Don't hold me to this, but it will depend on the game you are playing.

Play any game optimized for up to 4 threads? Play a GPU heavy game like Crysis 2? Then no, your CPU will handle dual 6970/6950's. Just because Sandy Bridge can squeeze an extra 500Mhz on each core compared to a 955 doesn't mean that your CPU is rubbish.

The only place I see the CPU bottlenecking is in games that are CPU intensive and perhaps only optimized for 2 cores. See a heavily modded Oblivion as an example (it really only uses 1 core). That is where a Sandy Bridge will beat out a 955, because they can push 4.5Ghz on that 1 core compared to 3.85Ghz. That's almost 17% more processing power wriggle room that the SB can use to utilize the graphics card.

It will all depend on the games you play, but don't let the Intel guys tell you that the Phenom II will bottleneck the current gen of cards in games. Unless you really need the extra 5-7fps, you can play almost any game maxed out with your setup. Phenom II and SB have the same playability factor, SB will just always do better on the charts.

that's just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt.
True but I'm running Eyefinity resolutions how does that factor in.
post #13 of 30
Eyefinity is factored only by your graphics card since your CPU does the internal game mechanic processing, not ray tracing. And the more VRAM you have, the better. If you are going to go Red, get the 2Gb versions of 6950 at least if you go that route since all 6970's have 2Gb by default. You will need it when you go Eyefinity.

From what I've seen, Phenom II works well with Eyefinity setups. And another thing to add to my last post, until the game industry decides to evolve, games will only use 4 cores/threads because that's what consoles are optimized for and what we're forced to have with ports.... Thus if you are a gamer, more Ghz will always beat more core/threads.
Edited by modinn - 7/19/11 at 7:29am
post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modinn View Post
Eyefinity is factored only by your graphics card since your CPU does the internal game mechanic processing, not ray tracing. And the more VRAM you have, the better. If you are going to go Red, get at the 2Gb versions of 6950 if you go that route. You will need it when you go Eyefinity.

From what I've seen, Phenom II works well with Eyefinity setups. And another thing to add to my last post, until the game industry decides to evolve, games will only use 4 cores/threads because that's what consoles are optimized for and what we're forced to have with ports.... Thus if you are a gamer, more Ghz will always beat more core/threads.
I run eyefinity currently with my xfire 5830's and i'm getting around 30fps to 70fps averages depending on games with 2xAA to 4xAA. I'm thinking with xfire 6950's and upping my resolution even more after another bezal adjustment to like 5240x1050 and running 8xAA wouldn't that help the graphics cards pull more weight over cpu as well to help with any potential bottleneck.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by geazy View Post
I run eyefinity currently with my xfire 5830's and i'm getting around 30fps to 70fps averages depending on games with 2xAA to 4xAA. I'm thinking with xfire 6950's and upping my resolution even more after another bezal adjustment to like 5240x1050 and running 8xAA wouldn't that help the graphics cards pull more weight over cpu as well to help with any potential bottleneck.
You are correct, your graphics cards will definitely be pulling a lot more weight because of the added resolution size and thus will help counter the whole bottleneck equation. And bigger resolutions seems to favor ATI more than Nvidia this generation, especially once you get into Tri-screen gaming because of the VRAM usage.

The only place that your CPU is going to affect you in a game with Eyefinity is when loading textures from the Hard Disk in-game (but I'm not an expert with this). Could someone with more knowledge give insight into how textures are loaded from hard disk to the VRAM on your graphics card? Does it get pulled from the Hard Disk and bussed to the PCI Express slot or does it get pulled from the HDD/SDD by the CPU which then passes it to the GPU?

I actually want to do some research on this....I'll get back with you.
post #16 of 30
Edited, this does not add to the discussion.
post #17 of 30
Delete me! I am an accident!!
Edited by feteru - 7/19/11 at 7:57am
SG05
(15 items)
 
MBP :(
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @stock ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 670 2gb Samsung WondeRAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 250GB Samsung Slim DVD-RW Stock Cooler (for now) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235T Das Keyboard Silverstone ST45SF Silverstone SG05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries QcK Grado SR80i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.4 GHz C2D Apple logic board Geforce 320m 8gb 1067mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 Toshiba 250gb Matshita 24x Superdrive Mac OSX 10.6 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG IPS235T 1280x800 Ips display Das Keyboard 5476 Mah battery 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Unibody Apple Razer Deathadder 3500 Steelseries Qck Grado Sr80i 
  hide details  
Reply
SG05
(15 items)
 
MBP :(
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @stock ASRock Z77E-ITX EVGA GTX 670 2gb Samsung WondeRAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 840 250GB Samsung Slim DVD-RW Stock Cooler (for now) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG IPS235T Das Keyboard Silverstone ST45SF Silverstone SG05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries QcK Grado SR80i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.4 GHz C2D Apple logic board Geforce 320m 8gb 1067mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 Toshiba 250gb Matshita 24x Superdrive Mac OSX 10.6 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG IPS235T 1280x800 Ips display Das Keyboard 5476 Mah battery 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Unibody Apple Razer Deathadder 3500 Steelseries Qck Grado Sr80i 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modinn View Post
Edited, this does not add to the discussion.
Okay i mean my NB is overclocked and i'm running eyefinity and higher AA which should put more load on the GPU then the CPU but I don't want to spend 500 bucks to only get like 5 fps because my CPU is holding me back but thats not going to be the case it sounds like.
post #19 of 30
Yeah as I said before, 955 is a good processor. No reason to upgrade from it at the moment or shy away from it. But if I were building a new computer from scratch, I would go Sandy Bridge for the added performance. Some people will fight to the death that more cores/threads means more performance, and while this is true in Video encoding and/or folding, hardware for games are limited to the way a game is programmed. And the video game industry is limiting itself to consoles mostly.

I love all this talk about Bulldozer and Nehalem processors, but anything more than 4-cores is unnecessary from a pure-gaming perspective. A GTX 580 and an OC HD6970 will max out any game at 1080p. The only reason to get more than one of these beasts is for multiple 1080p monitors, which is what you are going for.

This is my last thread post, so I will leave with some food for thought. Look at your computer and the applications you are running. Look how those specific applications utilize the hardware. Then build a computer around those applications if you are a budget minded person. Intel is definitely an all-in-one company, while AMD caters towards gamers in my opinion and gives you solid performance in games for a lower price. Your cards will do fine for what you want to do.

Intel will always push the boundary on their hardware. But the software world is a slow adopter. Heck, we haven't even started using the full bandwidth of PCIe v2!!! And we're already starting to come out with PCIe v3 motherboards. AMD will always have the price/performance gamer in mind, but Intel will have the "extreme enthusiast wanting to be the top of the chart".
post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modinn View Post
Yeah as I said before, 955 is a good processor. No reason to upgrade from it at the moment or shy away from it. But if I were building a new computer from scratch, I would go Sandy Bridge for the added performance. Some people will fight to the death that more cores/threads means more performance, and while this is true in Video encoding and/or folding, hardware for games are limited to the way a game is programmed. And the video game industry is limiting itself to consoles mostly.

I love all this talk about Bulldozer and Nehalem processors, but anything more than 4-cores is unnecessary from a pure-gaming perspective. A GTX 580 and an OC HD6970 will max out any game at 1080p. The only reason to get more than one of these beasts is for multiple 1080p monitors, which is what you are going for.

This is my last thread post, so I will leave with some food for thought. Look at your computer and the applications you are running. Look how those specific applications utilize the hardware. Then build a computer around those applications if you are a budget minded person. Intel is definitely an all-in-one company, while AMD caters towards gamers in my opinion and gives you solid performance in games for a lower price. Your cards will do fine for what you want to do.

Intel will always push the boundary on their hardware. But the software world is a slow adopter. Heck, we haven't even started using the full bandwidth of PCIe v2!!! And we're already starting to come out with PCIe v3 motherboards. AMD will always have the price/performance gamer in mind, but Intel will have the "extreme enthusiast wanting to be the top of the chart".
Thank you sir! I shot you some rep!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Need advice between 2gb 6950 and 2gb 6970 crossfire