Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Socket 1155 Motherboard with 6 SATA Slots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Socket 1155 Motherboard with 6 SATA Slots

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi Folks,

I'm planning a new build for a media server. I have decided on the Intel Core I3-2100T for it's low 35W power usage. Of course, this is probably overkill for a simple file server, but it's only $135.

I also have a few good cases picked out.

What's tripping me up is the motherboard. The problem is, I'd like to start with just 2 SATA 2.0 drives and over time, move to 4. I don't think I'll ever need 6.

Now, I am also planning on buying a small 60GB SSD for the Win7 OS, and a simple ODD.

So with the SSD and the ODD, and up to 4 drives for media storage, I need a motherboard ith 6 SATA slots. I did a search on NewEgg, and there are no socket 1155 motherboards with 6 SATA slots!

Does anyone have any recommendations? Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance...
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDaemon View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm planning a new build for a media server. I have decided on the Intel Core I3-2100T for it's low 35W power usage. Of course, this is probably overkill for a simple file server, but it's only $135.

I also have a few good cases picked out.

What's tripping me up is the motherboard. The problem is, I'd like to start with just 2 SATA 2.0 drives and over time, move to 4. I don't think I'll ever need 6.

Now, I am also planning on buying a small 60GB SSD for the Win7 OS, and a simple ODD.

So with the SSD and the ODD, and up to 4 drives for media storage, I need a motherboard ith 6 SATA slots. I did a search on NewEgg, and there are no socket 1155 motherboards with 6 SATA slots!

Does anyone have any recommendations? Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance...
What? Almost all of them have 6 Sata slots as far as I know. And many have 8 + Esata
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Yes, there are many many boards with 6 SATA ports - are you talking about miniITX? Micro ATX? ATX?

MSI H67MA-E35-B3 LGA 1155 would be perfect for what you need - in expensive, MATX and 6 SATA ports.
Edited by appleg33k85 - 7/18/11 at 1:25pm
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
i would say 99.9% have at least 6 sata ports
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
What? Almost all of them have 6 Sata slots as far as I know. And many have 8 + Esata
I did a basic search for 1155 socket motherboards with 6 SATA 2.0 slots, and a search with 4 SATA 2.0 and 2 SATA 3.0 slots. Both searches came back with 0 results.

I just happened on this motherboard: Gigabyte motherboard

But it is not coming up when I do my searches. What am I doing wrong?
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDaemon View Post
I did a basic search for 1155 socket motherboards with 6 SATA 2.0 slots, and a search with 4 SATA 2.0 and 2 SATA 3.0 slots. Both searches came back with 0 results.

I just happened on this motherboard: Gigabyte motherboard

But it is not coming up when I do my searches. What am I doing wrong?
Probably a bad search function. Board you link to have 6 Sata ports. I think most of them do.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K@4.5GHz Asus P8P67 Pro 3.0 (B3) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600-9-9-9-24-2t-1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M500 240GB SSD for OS, 2x256GB M4's Raid0 for ... Generic Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Asus VK266H 
PowerCase
Corsair RM 750x Cooler Master Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Ok, so the NewEgg search is clearly busted

What I am finding is that most of these boards have 4 SATA 2.0 (3GB/s) slots and 2 SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) slots.

Would I be able to put the 4 media storage HDDs in the 4 SATA 2.0 slots, and the SSD and ODD in the SATA 3.0 slot? Or do the SATA 3.0 slots require that the devices be SATA 3.0 compliant?

I'm guessing they need them to be compliant...
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
no they dont need to be
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman View Post
no they dont need to be
I did a little research, and it is "supposed" to work.

So it sounds like I should be able to connect my SSD and OOD to the 2x SATA 3.0 (6GB/s) slots, and then connect my mechanical HDDs to the 4x SATA 2.0 (3GB/s) slots.

Can anyone confirm that this will work 100% on any 1155 motherboard?

I'd hate to invest in all of this and then find that it doesn't work
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Gigabye GA-P55-UD3R Diamond ATI 5870 G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Verts Series 60GB SSD, WD 640GB Black Plextor DVD, LG Blu-Ray Windows 7 (RTM Build) 64-bit Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC 
PowerCase
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Antec 900 Two 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman View Post
no they dont need to be
..........
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Socket 1155 Motherboard with 6 SATA Slots