Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Looking to build a seperate rig just for Linux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to build a seperate rig just for Linux - Page 3

post #21 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidMonkey View Post
Fedora 15 WHAT?!? FC-15 is great! U-11.04 is not, I'll agree with that, but no slamming the Fedora... wow... I'm just shocked that that.


The USB/CD on a Win OS is how we Linux folks remove dumbasses Friendly WIndows User's Viruses.




Dual Booting is becoming a PITA with Win7 and GRUB(2). If you got the money, then what are you waiting for? I wanna see the Newegg/Tigerdirect receipts!
Actually if anyone has advice on parts to buy a decent Linux rig I'm up for any suggestions. I already grabbed a 30GB SSD on sale (couldn't resist)
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
Have either of you thought that he already has done this and just wants a separate linux box? I would never run linux in a VM now that I know how to use it, it cripples the OS and you can't ever get the full fell of the OS. It would be the same as if I wanted to test Win8 when it comes out and just slam it into a VM. Then I'll complain about why certain things run like crap or don't work how I want, I'll get the answer to install it separately.
First of all he didn't say ---that's why it was suggested.Secondly...nevermind.
 
Event Ryzen
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k MSI Z170M Mortar  Sapphire RX470 8GB  Crucial Ballistix Sport (grey & black) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Transcend SSD  512GB Transcend SSD Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM68-P & LG 23MP48HQ-P CODE 61(MX Clears) Evga SN 550w RaidMax Hyperion (Black & Silver) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Hot Eagle XL mousepad Klipsch R-14M's Presonus audiobox usb. 
AudioAudioAudio
Akai Pro MPK Mini Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Phillips SHP9500's MXL 990/991 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x  ASROCK AB350M PRO Sapphire RX 470 8GB  Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
x1 Intel S3500 240GB  x2 Intel S3700 400GB  5TB Toshiba NZXT Kraken x52  
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro Fedora workstation 25  29in LG ultrawide  25in LG ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MagicForce 68(Gateron Blacks) SeaSonic 620 ???? Open Air-Haven't decided Logitech 303 
Mouse PadAudio
xxl mousepad Same as before  
  hide details  
Reply
 
Event Ryzen
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k MSI Z170M Mortar  Sapphire RX470 8GB  Crucial Ballistix Sport (grey & black) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Transcend SSD  512GB Transcend SSD Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM68-P & LG 23MP48HQ-P CODE 61(MX Clears) Evga SN 550w RaidMax Hyperion (Black & Silver) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Hot Eagle XL mousepad Klipsch R-14M's Presonus audiobox usb. 
AudioAudioAudio
Akai Pro MPK Mini Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Phillips SHP9500's MXL 990/991 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x  ASROCK AB350M PRO Sapphire RX 470 8GB  Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
x1 Intel S3500 240GB  x2 Intel S3700 400GB  5TB Toshiba NZXT Kraken x52  
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro Fedora workstation 25  29in LG ultrawide  25in LG ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MagicForce 68(Gateron Blacks) SeaSonic 620 ???? Open Air-Haven't decided Logitech 303 
Mouse PadAudio
xxl mousepad Same as before  
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZISME View Post
Actually if anyone has advice on parts to buy a decent Linux rig I'm up for any suggestions. I already grabbed a 30GB SSD on sale (couldn't resist)
You should tell us what you want to do with it. If you want it as some fun and play anything below my specs would run amazing. I think I can run any mainstream game in wine, at least any that are worth playing. Honestly your current rig is plenty atm as far as current linux standings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reezin14 View Post
First of all he didn't say ---that's why it was suggested.Secondly...nevermind.
1) Exactly my point. What makes me more of a dick assuming he didn't want that advice than you assuming he did? Explain that, because I'm sure you have no good rebuttal.

2) What? Because I don't assume that the person wants VM/LiveCD help like every other person does in this forum? Yeah, every thread about making/trying out Linux ends up in "get it in a VM"... Regardless that the actual linux users will tell you that makes the OS look bad. You know if we went into the Win part of the forum and asked to try windows you'd be appalled at us trying it in a VM. So please don't start something because I will be a dick about it.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 55
If you only wanna do web browsing and small document/spreadsheet production, you could do worse than an Atom or Bobcat. Anything more and you'll want to look towards a cheap Phenom II or i3 (or maybe a cheap 45nm C2Q)
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 55
cpu: e8400
mobo p45 chipset - asus or gigabyte
ram 4 gig ddr2
gpu: 8800GT or 9800
psu: 500watt
hdd: as many as you need - ubuntu / linux only needs about 1.4 meg to 20 gig depending on install

this setup will run linux lovely
Server1 - Main
(17 items)
 
Slow Coach
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus z97 Hero Gigabyte 980Ti 6gb Kingston Hyper X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
M500 M500 OCZ ARC H100i 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Enterprise  Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Corsair AX860 Fractal Design R4 Razer Mamba 
Audio
Razer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1055T Gigabyte 990fx UD5 corsair 4 x 2 GiG 2 x 1 terabyte Western Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3 x 500 gig WD Black Pix Fractal Design Fans x 2 Server 2012 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
mstsc mstsc 400 watt corsair Fractal Design R5 
MouseOtherOtherOther
mstsc EATON 5110 UPS StarView SV231UADVI KVM LSI controller card 4 port 
Other
Intel DualPort Gigabit NIC PRO1000PT 
  hide details  
Reply
Server1 - Main
(17 items)
 
Slow Coach
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus z97 Hero Gigabyte 980Ti 6gb Kingston Hyper X 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
M500 M500 OCZ ARC H100i 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Enterprise  Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU Prolite GB2488HSU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Corsair AX860 Fractal Design R4 Razer Mamba 
Audio
Razer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1055T Gigabyte 990fx UD5 corsair 4 x 2 GiG 2 x 1 terabyte Western Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3 x 500 gig WD Black Pix Fractal Design Fans x 2 Server 2012 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
mstsc mstsc 400 watt corsair Fractal Design R5 
MouseOtherOtherOther
mstsc EATON 5110 UPS StarView SV231UADVI KVM LSI controller card 4 port 
Other
Intel DualPort Gigabit NIC PRO1000PT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 55
Thread Starter 
Thing is I want a completely separate build for Linux. I have some money to spend , so I might as well get used to using linux. I also plan to try to learn some programming languages on this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
You should tell us what you want to do with it. If you want it as some fun and play anything below my specs would run amazing. I think I can run any mainstream game in wine, at least any that are worth playing. Honestly your current rig is plenty atm as far as current linux standings.



1) Exactly my point. What makes me more of a dick assuming he didn't want that advice than you assuming he did? Explain that, because I'm sure you have no good rebuttal.

2) What? Because I don't assume that the person wants VM/LiveCD help like every other person does in this forum? Yeah, every thread about making/trying out Linux ends up in "get it in a VM"... Regardless that the actual linux users will tell you that makes the OS look bad. You know if we went into the Win part of the forum and asked to try windows you'd be appalled at us trying it in a VM. So please don't start something because I will be a dick about it.
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
cpu: e8400
mobo p45 chipset - asus or gigabyte
ram 4 gig ddr2
gpu: 8800GT or 9800
psu: 500watt
hdd: as many as you need - ubuntu / linux only needs about 1.4 meg to 20 gig depending on install

this setup will run linux lovely
Any suggestions for a specific mobo I'm having trouble finding one
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Status Quo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Biostar T series XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 1 G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HP Black 24X DVD+R Windows 10 Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready Cro Antec 300 Black Steel Razer Death Adder 3500 DPI Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
cpu: e8400
mobo p45 chipset - asus or gigabyte
ram 4 gig ddr2
gpu: 8800GT or 9800
psu: 500watt
hdd: as many as you need - ubuntu / linux only needs about 1.4 meg to 20 gig depending on install

this setup will run linux lovely
Basically what I was thinking, this should run most of the good games too (if you want). I would say get DDR3 stuff, it's cheaper than DDR2 these days. 4G DDR3 is $50 where I've seen most DDR2 at $70, it's a shame.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
1) Exactly my point. What makes me more of a dick assuming he didn't want that advice than you assuming he did? Explain that, because I'm sure you have no good rebuttal.

2) What? Because I don't assume that the person wants VM/LiveCD help like every other person does in this forum? Yeah, every thread about making/trying out Linux ends up in "get it in a VM"... Regardless that the actual linux users will tell you that makes the OS look bad. You know if we went into the Win part of the forum and asked to try windows you'd be appalled at us trying it in a VM. So please don't start something because I will be a dick about it.
1- I didn't assume anything about your advice or mine,it was a alternative to other suggestions.If the OP wants to build a dedicated rig for this its fine by me.But you come in and start attacking me and what a couple others suggested,not the other way around.

You talk about performance in VM? You obviously don't know how to setup this type of environment properly.VM makes the OS look bad?This is why members(myself included)here have many flavors of linux running in VM.Not to mention that big big companies do the same,but I guess this is at the expense of the OS looking bad. The only thing that looks bad to me is YOU.And you don't have the head(mind) to be a dick,your just stupid.Say what you say.I'm done.

2- LiveCD/VM's are again suggested as a alternative,and windows is more resource intensive to use isn't it,oh and MS has something called Hypervisor just encase you didn't know?

I apologize to you OP.
Edited by reezin14 - 7/22/11 at 11:38am
 
Event Ryzen
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k MSI Z170M Mortar  Sapphire RX470 8GB  Crucial Ballistix Sport (grey & black) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Transcend SSD  512GB Transcend SSD Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM68-P & LG 23MP48HQ-P CODE 61(MX Clears) Evga SN 550w RaidMax Hyperion (Black & Silver) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Hot Eagle XL mousepad Klipsch R-14M's Presonus audiobox usb. 
AudioAudioAudio
Akai Pro MPK Mini Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Phillips SHP9500's MXL 990/991 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x  ASROCK AB350M PRO Sapphire RX 470 8GB  Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
x1 Intel S3500 240GB  x2 Intel S3700 400GB  5TB Toshiba NZXT Kraken x52  
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro Fedora workstation 25  29in LG ultrawide  25in LG ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MagicForce 68(Gateron Blacks) SeaSonic 620 ???? Open Air-Haven't decided Logitech 303 
Mouse PadAudio
xxl mousepad Same as before  
  hide details  
Reply
 
Event Ryzen
(18 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k MSI Z170M Mortar  Sapphire RX470 8GB  Crucial Ballistix Sport (grey & black) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB Transcend SSD  512GB Transcend SSD Corsair H80i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM68-P & LG 23MP48HQ-P CODE 61(MX Clears) Evga SN 550w RaidMax Hyperion (Black & Silver) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Hot Eagle XL mousepad Klipsch R-14M's Presonus audiobox usb. 
AudioAudioAudio
Akai Pro MPK Mini Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Phillips SHP9500's MXL 990/991 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x  ASROCK AB350M PRO Sapphire RX 470 8GB  Crucial Ballistic Sport LT 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
x1 Intel S3500 240GB  x2 Intel S3700 400GB  5TB Toshiba NZXT Kraken x52  
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 10 Pro Fedora workstation 25  29in LG ultrawide  25in LG ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MagicForce 68(Gateron Blacks) SeaSonic 620 ???? Open Air-Haven't decided Logitech 303 
Mouse PadAudio
xxl mousepad Same as before  
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezin14 View Post
1- I didn't assume anything about your advice or mine,it was a alternative to other suggestions.If the OP wants to build a dedicated rig for this its fine by me.But you come in and start attacking me and what a couple others suggested,not the other way around.

You talk about performance in VM? You obviously don't know how to setup this type of environment properly.VM makes the OS look bad?This is why members(myself included)here have many flavors of linux running in VM.Not to mention that big big companies do the same,but I guess this is at the expense of the OS looking bad. The only thing that looks bad to me is YOU.And you don't have the head(mind) to be a dick,your just stupid.Say what you say.I'm done.

2- LiveCD/VM's are again suggested as a alternative,and windows is more resource intensive to use isn't it,oh and MS has something called Hypervisor just encase you didn't know?

I apologize to you OP.
1) You did assume, anytime you suggest something not in the OP your assuming.

2) Just the fact that your running a FS inside a FS decreases performance. What the crap is the point in running EXT4 inside NTFS? Not to mention the various other problems you occur when running a VM. [edit] Hardware acceleration works, though I'm sure you can't play Crysis1 in a VM very well. You know there is a performance decrease in a VM, anyone on here that's worth something will say it. What big companies use Linux in a VM? I know some programs are ment to be used in a VM, that's entirely different. However, performance in a VM is skewed no matter what you say.

[edit2: Just to rub more of this in even though I've replied below...it's not that important enough to use in a new reply] You should be familiar with linux enough to know it has 3 main kernels. Intel/AMD/Generic (Major platforms, I'm not going into the fact that it can run on mips/ppc/ect.. just that most distro's have at least 3 kernels), with the option to run a custom kernel. Since the kernel is the biggest booster in performance I can't see how you can say running a Generic kernel vs a tailored one means nothing... It also makes a difference that a VM will generalize all your hardware, so you aren't running hardware specific kernel modules (drivers). Which will also effect performance. I can continue if you'd like, but seriously your going to lose this.
Edited by mushroomboy - 7/22/11 at 2:47pm
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Looking to build a seperate rig just for Linux