Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Dark Knight cooler and 1155 mobo help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark Knight cooler and 1155 mobo help

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Here's my question, how does the dark knight fit into this mobo?

The reason I ask is because when I put my 955be rig together I got some ripjaws ram (what I want to get for my i5 rig coming up very soon) but the cooler wouldn't fit over the ram heatsinks, so I had to get different ram. I don't want to be stuck waiting for replacement ram again so I am wondering if will be an issue. I will be getting this bracket from newegg to make my cooler 1155 compatible.

Thanks for the help!
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
Anyone?

My main question is the orientation, is it up and down (when looking at it from the side window) or left to right?

Thanks!
post #3 of 12
Right now with the amd board your XDK can only mount east/ west unless you use a special mount to run it north/ south. Their is a member here that was selling a hand made custom mount to orient the cooler N/S and have no issues with ram clearence.

The link for the 1155 xiggy mount will orientate your xiggy cooler north/ south however, with the 1155 motherboard socket being so close to the rams i'm not sure if there is room enough for a P/P set-up and clear the rams first slot.
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
Right now with the amd board your XDK can only mount east/ west unless you use a special mount to run it north/ south. Their is a member here that was selling a hand made custom mount to orient the cooler N/S and have no issues with ram clearence.

The link for the 1155 xiggy mount will orientate your xiggy cooler north/ south however, with the 1155 motherboard socket being so close to the rams i'm not sure if there is room enough for a P/P set-up and clear the rams first slot.
Hmm, you are incorrect I'm afraid. My cooler orients north and south on my mobo. Are you sure it's not east/west for the 1155?
post #5 of 12
Let me get this right, your xdk mounts north/ south on the msi socket without any other custom mounting hardware?
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
Let me get this right, your xdk mounts north/ south on the msi socket without any other custom mounting hardware?
Correct. It is just using the clip it came with for that socket (clips on the lil nubs on the square piece of plastic surrounding the cpu). Airflow goes straight up.


Edited by fuloran1 - 7/20/11 at 5:21am
post #7 of 12
Aaaa..your misunderstanding what i mean by north/ south. Looking straight at it the top of the cooler the N/S position air flow should be flowing towards the back of the case.

Air flow going straight up is a east/ west orientation.
However with your antec case the orientation of the cooler most likely won't make that much of a difference as far as cooling as that case has great cooling in many directions.
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
My CM sniper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.8ghz @ 1.4v. ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 EVGA gtx470 SC GSKILL SNIPER DDR3 1600 2X4 9.9.9.24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
CRUCIAL 64GB SSD 1-VR300 4X F3 1TB SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD BURNER WINDOWZ 7 64BIT 23'' ACER P235H WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
LOGITECH G15 V 2007 CORSAIR TX750 CM STORM SNIPER/ MODDED OCZ DOMINATRIX 
Mouse PadAudio
ALL OVER THE TABLE ON BOARD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
Aaaa..your misunderstanding what i mean by north/ south. Looking straight at it the top of the cooler the N/S position air flow should be flowing towards the back of the case.

Air flow going straight up is a east/ west orientation.
However with your antec case the orientation of the cooler most likely won't make that much of a difference as far as cooling as that case has great cooling in many directions.
Lol, ok, I am not asking about cooling. My concern is that the ram sticks wont have enough clearance (I should have been clearer). When I built this rig, the tall heatinks on the ram wouldn't fit under the cooler because it had to be oriented with the wide side going over the first ram stick. Am I making sense? If it indeed mounts "north south" as you say with that bracket to where the airflow is going ot the back of the case, then I shouldn't have a problem.
Thanks for the help man!
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
Aaaa..your misunderstanding what i mean by north/ south. Looking straight at it the top of the cooler the N/S position air flow should be flowing towards the back of the case.

Air flow going straight up is a east/ west orientation.
However with your antec case the orientation of the cooler most likely won't make that much of a difference as far as cooling as that case has great cooling in many directions.
Most people refer to N/S as up/down and E/W as left/right according to airflow direction. This is the first time I've heard it stated otherwise.

That bracket will make the DK mountable in either direction and should clear the RAM just fine.

BTW they make a bracket for AMD boards as well to fix the airflow direction issue.
Sager NP8652
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4720HQ P65_P67SG Nvidia GTX 980M 16GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 512GB 500GB HDD Windows 7 x64 Home AOC Q3277FQE 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Sentey Cobalt Pro Mionix Naos 7000 Steelseries QK Mini Steelseries Arctis 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Sager NP8652
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4720HQ P65_P67SG Nvidia GTX 980M 16GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 512GB 500GB HDD Windows 7 x64 Home AOC Q3277FQE 
KeyboardMouseMouse PadAudio
Sentey Cobalt Pro Mionix Naos 7000 Steelseries QK Mini Steelseries Arctis 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
Most people refer to N/S as up/down and E/W as left/right according to airflow direction. This is the first time I've heard it stated otherwise.

That bracket will make the DK mountable in either direction and should clear the RAM just fine.

BTW they make a bracket for AMD boards as well to fix the airflow direction issue.
Thanks! And that does make much more sense to me, I don't know why straight up and down would be "East West"! That takes a load off my mind, though I wish I had known about the AMD bracket! Ripjaws here I come!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Dark Knight cooler and 1155 mobo help