Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [F] Mozilla To Implement Multiprocess Browsing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[F] Mozilla To Implement Multiprocess Browsing - Page 7

post #61 of 69
All I use is Chrome at work. It's fast and stable on a P4 and rarely crashes.
One thing I like about FF is that it is GPU enabled and multi-threaded which makes a huge difference if your watching an HD stream with 5 Flash ads on the same page and when scrolling through high resolution pictures.

If they can give me the option to keep the multi-threading and tighten the memory leak, it's win/win for me.
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengs;14327539 
All I use is Chrome at work. It's fast and stable on a P4 and rarely crashes.
One thing I like about FF is that it is GPU enabled and multi-threaded which makes a huge difference if your watching an HD stream with 5 Flash ads on the same page and when scrolling through high resolution pictures.

If they can give me the option to keep the multi-threading and tighten the memory leak, it's win/win for me.

Check out FF 7(Aurora) for the memory leak fix. FF 6 (beta) has the ability to defrag the memory but it has to be done manually at about:memory. I've been loving how much faster and lighter on memory FF7 is for a week and a half now.
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham;14327232 
You mean the option to use ugly icons(which chrome can do) or the option to put the tabs in an unusable, non ergonomic position?.

Entirely your opinion, some people don't like change or prefer it that way (That said, I prefer it up top) because there's a bit more room for them.

And ugly icons? I think they're quite good personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker16;14327376 
i got sick of FF constantly freezing and crashing with multiple tabs so i mainly use Chrome now

FF has never crashed or froze for me with multiple tabs, I run many (In the 50s usually) tabs at once in both Chrome and Firefox, Chrome tends to lose all of the real-world speed it has with plenty of tabs open and not to mention, has a horrid way of showing them. (At least show the icons, how else am I meant to see which tab is which..?)

And for me Chrome randomly gets a bug where all tabs relating to a certain site lag like crazy while I load more than 3 pages relating to that site until all the pages are loaded, it's not just my rig either, computers at my university do too. (Core i5 661s with Spinpoint F3 500GB HDDs, not exactly slouches)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardv;14327444 
Screw Firefox

I love IE 9 as my main browswer with chrome as a backup.Simple layout,and much faster browsers. and Definately more secure.

Period.

Faster? I love how you can tell a difference when it's literally impossible, not to mention they all have the same layout stock...And secure? Apart from Sandboxing with Chrome, Firefox wins in that regard in every way. (NoScript > NotScripts by far.)
My system
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549;14290328 
So... in other words, Mozilla finally realized that Chrome's success was NOT due to it's constant revisions but rather on being a superior platform.

So now instead of releasing Firefox 12 by the end of the year, their new strategy is to copy all the key marketing points that were originally used for chrome? *shrug* well whatever floats their boat. FF had a good run, glad I've moved on.

I'm not really sure why you guys get so worked up over which browser is better and who stole what from who.

To me, it's not about stealing ideas or gaining more market share. Both Chrome and Firefox are provided free of charge and open source. They are also both fantastic programs.

It's about creating a faster, safer, and standardized internet. The whole open source mindset is about using ideas from other people. Humans learn from one another and make improvements - we have from the very beginning, and thats why we have come so far.

This is why I have a serious problem with our patent system and Apple in particular. Neither Google or Mozilla try to hold back progress for monetary gain and provide most of their services for free.

So, stop fighting over which browser is better. Any secure and standards compliant browser is acceptable. We all have our personal preferences.

As a web developer, I can say that the only browser that is truly unacceptable is Internet Explorer because it holds back the progress of the web due to its lack of security and failure to comply with web standards. Internet Explorer has, however, improved immensely in the recent versions and hopefully will be up to par with the other browsers soon. Unfortunately, not everyone likes to update their browser.
Edited by Ectrian - 7/24/11 at 4:06pm
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz MSI Z77A-GD65 GeForce GTX 680 16GB DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512 GB Sata III SSD + 1.5 TB HD @ 7200 RPM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Linux Mint x64 26" Asus Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz MSI Z77A-GD65 GeForce GTX 680 16GB DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512 GB Sata III SSD + 1.5 TB HD @ 7200 RPM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 / Linux Mint x64 26" Asus Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutuz;14331270 
Faster? I love how you can tell a difference when it's literally impossible, not to mention they all have the same layout stock...And secure? Apart from Sandboxing with Chrome, Firefox wins in that regard in every way. (NoScript > NotScripts by far.)

I believe that for a lot of people, the term 'faster' refers to not only page rendering speed but the general feel and interface of the browser as well. Firefoxs UI is built on XUL and it generally gives a perception of clunkiness, not to mention the historically slow start up and shutdown times. I'm glad Mozilla is dealing with these issues though.

As for security, you can argue that because of the Chromium sandbox, you don't even need an extension like Noscript since malicious javascript won't have the rights to do much harm. But yes, Noscript does have some other security benefits as well. However, as a former Firefox+Noscript user, I'll gladly give up the whitelisting nature of Noscript.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnon;14331693 
I believe that for a lot of people, the term 'faster' refers to not only page rendering speed but the general feel and interface of the browser as well. Firefoxs UI is built on XUL and it generally gives a perception of clunkiness, not to mention the historically slow start up and shutdown times. I'm glad Mozilla is dealing with these issues though.

As for security, you can argue that because of the Chromium sandbox, you don't even need an extension like Noscript since malicious javascript won't have the rights to do much harm. But yes, Noscript does have some other security benefits as well. However, as a former Firefox+Noscript user, I'll gladly give up the whitelisting nature of Noscript.

True in the past this was a problem. Check out FF7 with Fasterfox add-on in Turbo mode. Chrome isn't even on the same level. New start-up times are faster than Chrome btw. Throw in Adblock Plus which prevents you from even downloading the ads as opposed to just hiding them along with SpeedDNS and it's just icing on the cake.

FF8(nightly) is even 10% faster in all areas than FF7. They've redone the way they draw 2D and 3D in 7+. Check out Azure: http://blog.mozilla.com/joe/2011/04/26/introducing-the-azure-project/ FF 2D rendering is faster than even the dev build of Chrome and javascript speed is identical.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 7/24/11 at 4:20pm
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa;14331732 
True in the past this was a problem. Check out FF7 with Fasterfox add-on in Turbo mode. Chrome isn't even on the same level. New start-up times are faster than Chrome btw. Throw in Adblock Plus which prevents you from even downloading the ads as opposed to just hiding them along with SpeedDNS and it's just icing on the cake.

FF8(nightly) is even 10% faster in all areas than FF7. They've redone the way they draw 2D and 3D in 7+. Check out Azure: http://blog.mozilla.com/joe/2011/04/26/introducing-the-azure-project/ FF 2D rendering is faster than even the dev build of Chrome and javascript speed is identical.

Firefox is starting to make me a believer again. The start up time in Firefox 7 is finally on par with Chrome and IE 9. Chrome is still faster for me though. Not the biggest issue though.

When you click a new tab the animation actually runs smooth. As opposed to -5 FPS like it used to.

You don't have to disable Direct2d rendering just to get nice fonts.

The javascript performance is actually good now.

The UI doesn't feel like a fat piece of garbage.

I still can't get Omnibar add on like I want it though. Where I can type "you" and hit tab and start searching youtube. Or type "ultim" and hit tab and start searching ultimate guitar.

Other than that, this rapid release is the best thing Mozilla has done in a long time. Maybe they can finally start winning back all the Chrome guys(like me who jumped shipped) even though most of us used Firefox back when it was Firebird.
Edited by dham - 7/24/11 at 5:50pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham;14332477 
Firefox is starting to make me a believer again. The start up time in Firefox 7 is finally on par with Chrome and IE 9. Chrome is still faster for me though. Not the biggest issue though.

When you click a new tab the animation actually runs smooth. As opposed to -5 FPS like it used to.

You don't have to disable Direct2d rendering just to get nice fonts.

The javascript performance is actually good now.

The UI doesn't feel like a fat piece of garbage.

I still can't get Omnibar add on like I want it though. Where I can type "you" and hit tab and start searching youtube. Or type "ultim" and hit tab and start searching ultimate guitar.

Other than that, this rapid release is the best thing Mozilla has done in a long time. Maybe they can finally start winning back all the Chrome guys(like me who jumped shipped) even though most of us used Firefox back when it was Firebird.

Try out FF8's startup time. You'll be surprised biggrin.gif

For omnibar there's many ways of achieving what you're saying. The obvious Omnibar extension of course. Personally I prefer having the separate search box so when I highlight and rightclick on text and select "search * for 'text'" it can search whatever I have selected in the search box such as a forum, torrent site or google.

You've been able to do "yt cats" to search for cats on youtube since 2006 with bookmark keywords. You can also make a keyword for your OCN control panel that takes you straight to it by only typing "over" or "OCN"(which I can't understand why Google hasn't developed a similar way to sort your bookmarks yet) even if you clear the cache which breaks Google's omnibar searching.

ff%20keyword.png

Make a bookmark of: Notice the %s? Now assign a keyword to the url such as "yt" or whatever you choose. Now type "yt cats" in the address bar and voila!


You can also use URL Alias to do the same thing if you don't want to make bookmarks.


If you want keywords to show up when you click the star to bookmark a site use the OpenBook extension and these instructions: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/openbook/reviews/273168/ or use my already edited link set to maxversion=99.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 7/24/11 at 8:38pm
post #69 of 69
I am still an avid and happy Firefox user. I am unlikely to make the switch anytime soon because of all the extensions and addons I get so much use out of. My only complaint about Firefox is that is uses 448MB of memory as of this writing with 9 tabs open.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [F] Mozilla To Implement Multiprocess Browsing