Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The Right Alcohol for cleaning old Thermal Compound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Right Alcohol for cleaning old Thermal Compound?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone.
I went off to get some hihg-purity isopropyl alcohol with my mom yesterday to clean the old Thermal Compound of my CPU as I ordered a new cooler (Hyper 212 plus | It arrived today). So we went to a pharmacy and told them what we needed and what for, and they gave us something that was did/does not say "isopropyl alcohol" on it, but the guy said it is very similar. I do not want to destroy my CPU and Mobo, so I want to ask all of you if it is OK to use what the guy gave us.
Here are all the "ingredients" I can find on the bottle:
- 96% Alcohol (It actually says Alcohol 96% (v/v) does the "(v/v)" stand for anything?
- 1% Camphor (I don't really know what this is)
- It is flammable
- There's a black tirangle on it which is filled with white
- On the sticker with the price it says exactly this:
"TOP TEN ETHANOLUM 96 % C
CAMPH 0.1% PHH 150 ML"
Of course without the speechmarks...
Where the new line starts I think its only because the sticker ends there, but I made it two lines in here anyway.
- It expires Decembre 2015
- It also says:
"Charge:
2011011211"
But you might not understand that since it might be in French since I live in the french-speaking part of switzerland.
I hope someone can help me
PLEASE DO NOT post an answer if you are not sure just because that's what you think, because I really don't want to break my parts. I probably will not get replacements of the parts (my parents will say it was my own fault...)
Thanks in advance,
Marius
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 27
Well it wouldn't kill your CPU / heatsink, BUT the Camphor in the solution would most likely leave a residue behind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor All of the pure alcohol would evaporate, but I don't think the Camphor will.

Quote:
Camphor is a waxy, white or transparent solid with a strong, aromatic odor.
That doesn't sound like a good thing to leave behind on your CPU's IHS. I bet it would act like a small insulator and that would increase temps.

This explains why it is in there:
Quote:
Camphor is readily absorbed through the skin and produces a feeling of cooling similar to that of menthol, and acts as slight local anesthetic and antimicrobial substance.
Now, would the 1% in that solution actually leave enough Camphor behind to cause an increase in temps? That I am not sure, but I wouldn't chance it. (It would be a pain to clean off if it did leave a substantial residue) I recommend only using pure (~90 - 99%) isopropyl to clean up stuff.
Edited by AtomicFrost - 7/22/11 at 3:42am
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
Reply
ColdCut
(14 items)
 
YetiKube
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x Asus Rampage V Extreme  XFX 295x2 Core Hydro Edition CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 Pro  Samsung 850 EVO Western Digital Black 3TB  LG Bluray Burner 16x 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
H110i GT Windows 8.1 Pro Asus 4k Corsair AX1500i  
CaseAudio
Corsair 900D Stock 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(1) 2500K ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 Classified Mushkin 996995 DDR3 1600 (2 Sticks) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro (1) 150GB Western Digital Raptor (1) 1TB Western Digital Black Caviar (1) Samsung SATA DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Windows 8.1 LG 21:9 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 Filco 114 key (Blue Cherry) / HHKB Pro 2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W - 850W Mountain Mods - U2 UFO Orginal - Gloss Black Logitech G400 / Razer Deathadder BE Razer Goliathus Extended / Artisan Hien VE (Sof... 
AudioOtherOther
Creative Sounds Blaster X-FI Titanium HD Asus USB N-53 Wireless USB adapter  12 Case Fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 27
"pure"(high %) Alcohol + electric components = WIN . It wont destroy anything . If u even spill it, it will evaporate quickly . You can use it .
Blue Bridge
(14 items)
 
Mobile Fortress
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @4.5Ghz ASRock P67 PRO3 B3 PNY Quadro M4000 Kingston HyperX 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100 250 Western Digital Caviar Black Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro X64 / OpenSUSE 13,2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CrossOver LED-P 2560x1440 60hz S-IPS 27" Microsoft N.E.K 4000 CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000W Chieftech AEGIS Full tower 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Reaper ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Llano A6 3400m Lenovo Torpedo A55/A60M 54CN18WW Radeon HD 6520G Radeon HD 6650M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OEM Lenovo DDR 1333  Hitachi 750GB CD/DVD/DL/RW burner Stock laptop cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 Pro 15.6' LED 1366X768 Onboard 6Cell battery 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Multi touch touchpad + a CM Storm Reaper Realtek Lossless audio Wacom CTH470 digitizer 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Bridge
(14 items)
 
Mobile Fortress
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @4.5Ghz ASRock P67 PRO3 B3 PNY Quadro M4000 Kingston HyperX 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial BX100 250 Western Digital Caviar Black Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro X64 / OpenSUSE 13,2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CrossOver LED-P 2560x1440 60hz S-IPS 27" Microsoft N.E.K 4000 CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1000W Chieftech AEGIS Full tower 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Reaper ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Llano A6 3400m Lenovo Torpedo A55/A60M 54CN18WW Radeon HD 6520G Radeon HD 6650M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OEM Lenovo DDR 1333  Hitachi 750GB CD/DVD/DL/RW burner Stock laptop cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 x64 Pro 15.6' LED 1366X768 Onboard 6Cell battery 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Multi touch touchpad + a CM Storm Reaper Realtek Lossless audio Wacom CTH470 digitizer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFrost View Post
Well it wouldn't kill your CPU / heatsink, BUT the Camphor in the solution would most likely leave a residue behind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor All of the pure alcohol would evaporate, but I don't think the Camphor will.


That doesn't sound like a good thing to leave behind on your CPU's IHS. I bet it would act like a small insulator and that would increase temps.

This explains why it is in there:

Now, would the 1% in that solution actually leave enough Camphor behind to cause an increase in temps? That I am not sure, but I wouldn't chance it. (It would be a pain to clean off if it did leave a substantial residue) I only use pure (~99%) isopropyl to clean up stuff.
That was the only thing we got. Should I maybe order ArctiClean 1 and 2 from the internet (It's really cheap...)? I mean those are made for exactly this, so they will probs work...
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 27
"It is flammable". I lol'd

Brand name? Picture of front of bottle maybe?

I am no chem major, but looking at the composition, (especially the camphor), it seems geared for cleaning wounds.
Since I do no meat your criteria for posting an answer, I'll just say this:
I would use it... with caution. Yes, 96% is very concentrated, but I normally use 91% anyway.

Final word of advice: If you personally have doubts, then find a pharmacy that sells exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Blob View Post
That was the only thing we got. Should I maybe order ArctiClean 1 and 2 from the internet (It's really cheap...)? I mean those are made for exactly this, so they will probs work...
Why not order Isopropyl Alcohol (~91%) online instead? Especially iff that will be cheaper
The Dark Knight
(13 items)
 
Rebirth
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K. 4.5Ghz (Summer Clocks) ASUS P8P67 Pro ( Rev 3.0 ) MSI 6970 Lightning (downclocked) CFX with MSI 6... 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 +2TB F4(backups) Random LG drive Win7 SP1 64bit ASUS VH236H @1080p 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek Gaming keyboard ... >_> Corsair TX750 Rosewill Gear x3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D P8600 @ 2.4Ghz (undervolted) Crappy dell Studio XPS one 4670M (1GB) I don't remember... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 4x Blu-ray ROM Win7 SP1 64bit 15.6" WLED @ 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Old Saitek Gaming Keyboard 90W adapter 
  hide details  
Reply
The Dark Knight
(13 items)
 
Rebirth
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K. 4.5Ghz (Summer Clocks) ASUS P8P67 Pro ( Rev 3.0 ) MSI 6970 Lightning (downclocked) CFX with MSI 6... 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Spinpoint F3 +2TB F4(backups) Random LG drive Win7 SP1 64bit ASUS VH236H @1080p 
KeyboardPowerCase
Saitek Gaming keyboard ... >_> Corsair TX750 Rosewill Gear x3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D P8600 @ 2.4Ghz (undervolted) Crappy dell Studio XPS one 4670M (1GB) I don't remember... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial M4 4x Blu-ray ROM Win7 SP1 64bit 15.6" WLED @ 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Old Saitek Gaming Keyboard 90W adapter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 27
If you wanna go 100% sure and you can wait for it you can always order Arcticlean from Arctic Silver
Dark Wasp
(13 items)
 
Zebra II
(19 items)
 
Water Arc Mini
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K Asus ROG Z270 Code 2x GTX 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR4 @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB Windows 10 LG 34UM95 3440x1440 34" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD mechanical brown swithces Seasonic 850w Platinum Caselabs Merlin SM8 Black Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Audio
Audioengine A2 + D1 DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k  Asus Maximus V Gene Asus GTX 670 DCII  Samsung 8GB @1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD EK Supremacy Acetal nickel Dual 240 Black Ice GT Stealth EK GTX 670 DCII waterblock 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ultrasharp U2412m WASD mechanical keyboard Corsair AX750 Fractal Arc Mini 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Razer Megasoma Audioengine A2 Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Wasp
(13 items)
 
Zebra II
(19 items)
 
Water Arc Mini
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K Asus ROG Z270 Code 2x GTX 980 Ti SC Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR4 @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB Windows 10 LG 34UM95 3440x1440 34" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD mechanical brown swithces Seasonic 850w Platinum Caselabs Merlin SM8 Black Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Audio
Audioengine A2 + D1 DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k  Asus Maximus V Gene Asus GTX 670 DCII  Samsung 8GB @1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD EK Supremacy Acetal nickel Dual 240 Black Ice GT Stealth EK GTX 670 DCII waterblock 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ultrasharp U2412m WASD mechanical keyboard Corsair AX750 Fractal Arc Mini 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Razer Megasoma Audioengine A2 Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklimitless View Post
"It is flammable". I lol'd

Brand name? Picture of front of bottle maybe?

I am no chem major, but looking at the composition, (especially the camphor), it seems geared for cleaning wounds.
Since I do no meat your criteria for posting an answer, I'll just say this:
I would use it... with caution. Yes, 96% is very concentrated, but I normally use 91% anyway.

Final word of advice: If you personally have doubts, then find a pharmacy that sells exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT:


Why not order Isopropyl Alcohol (~91%) online instead? Especially iff that will be cheaper
I just wanted to make sure I put in all the details on the bottle.
And I do have doubts, because I do not know a lot about this, so I would prefer to get something that is 100% what I am looking for.
Would you recommend me getting ArctiClean 1 and 2 to do this (I could order them online)?
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkslayer7 View Post
"pure"(high %) Alcohol + electric components = WIN . It wont destroy anything . If u even spill it, it will evaporate quickly . You can use it .
I just mean all the other things in there I know that the Alcohol wont harm it I mean I was looking for a high-purity alcohol, but like AtomicFrost said maybe the Comphor might not be very good for the CPU...
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 27
You'd be fine with any form of Isopropyl. The percentage doesn't matter unless you feel the need to have your CPU dry instantly as opposed to in 30 seconds...
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBZ323 View Post
If you wanna go 100% sure and you can wait for it you can always order Arcticlean from Arctic Silver
I might just do that.
It"s not THAT expensive (although I would only get 2 30ml bottles) but still...
Just to be 100% sure I might do that, unless someone can give me a good explanation of why the thing I already have now will not do any harm.
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 (2GB) G.Skill RipjawsX 4x2GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb/s 7200rpm Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Logitech G15 Corsair HX850W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF-X Logitech G9x IKEA 0,95 cents 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › The Right Alcohol for cleaning old Thermal Compound?