Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a Computer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a Computer - Page 4

post #31 of 78
Thread Starter 
I have old keyboards, mouses, and monitors, and speakers laying around from old computers, I'll use those until I can get new ones. I'm already considering a 450gb VR drive, as I do want more speed, but not super expensive.

What exactly is a non-reference GPU?
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousLegend View Post
I have old keyboards, mouses
Thank you for using the proper plural form of the computer mouse

It really annoys me when people call them "mice"..... I'm a grammar nazi I guess
Edited by CarlosSpiceyWeiner - 7/22/11 at 6:11am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8 Ghz 1.45v ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Intel onboard Mushkin Blackline 10-11-10-28 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda N/A Rasa RX360 kit Ubuntu 10.10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
N/A N/A Raidmax 730 Watt IN WIN Dragon Rider 
MouseMouse PadAudio
N/A N/A N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.8 Ghz 1.45v ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Intel onboard Mushkin Blackline 10-11-10-28 2133 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda N/A Rasa RX360 kit Ubuntu 10.10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
N/A N/A Raidmax 730 Watt IN WIN Dragon Rider 
MouseMouse PadAudio
N/A N/A N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosSpiceyWeiner View Post
Thank you for uses the proper plural form of the computer mouse

It really annoys me when people call them "mice"..... I'm a grammar nazi I guess
Lol, your welcome.

Yes, I will be playing in 1080p, in fact I have a Sony Bravia 40" 1080p tv in my room, I could use that.

I honestly don't feel like rewriting my list of items, although editing it is a simple option, but I want to see if I can link my newegg shopping cart, as I'm not logged in it might work.

Link: http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view

Works for me (although I made it, so that doesn't say much, alot like linking your own computer files into a post), anyone else try it?

I'm trying to keep track of what people tell me, so I'll add it when/if I can remember. Like just now I think I forgot the 450GB VR and a different PSU.

If anyone can link a PSU capable of running a GTX 570 in SLI and has plenty of cables, please link the best one for the price you can.

Getting late, gonna add a PSU as soon as someone links one, then I'm gonna go to bed. Will follow this post up later today, and probably start ordering, just gotta find who has the lowest price.
Edited by InfamousLegend - 7/22/11 at 5:43am
post #34 of 78
OK, theres a lot of stuff being suggested in here, and being a new PC builder, here are my suggestions.

Get this PSU. Modular is way better. This means that any cables you don't need can be removed. Otherwise you have a ton of cables laying around.

Edit: PSU capable of running SLI 570s.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9011&Tpk=HX850

SSDs are great. They increase load times and boot times, but do nothing for increasing FPS. You would need a second hard drive for storage, and theres some config to be done. If you dont feel comfortable with that, get a Western Digital Black drive and save from the Velociraptor. You can always get an SSD later after you have had time to research it more, and you'll have the black drive as a secondary. Don't worry about raid or any of that stuff.

If you only plan to game, get the 2500K. If you plan to do any video encoding or other stuff that utilizes multiple threads, get the 2600K.

As for video cards, just get one. I would go with a 570. 580s are nice, but over 200 dollars more. You can always SLI them later if you want. However, if you may do that, I would plan ahead and make sure to get a motherboard that support dual PCI-e slots at 8X. Make sure its not one at 16x and the other at 4x. Also, you may want to get a PSU thats 750 or 850. I don't know for certain whats overkill for a PSU when doing SLI, but I have an 850 with 2 cards and its great. I'd rather have too much than skimp out to save a few bucks.

Remember, you said you want to build a good gaming computer, not an amazing top of the line money pit. Whatever you build, there will always be something thats better that you didnt do. Decide whats best for you, and don't waste money on ideas that sound great. I've been in your shoes
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousLegend View Post
Lol, your welcome.

Yes, I will be playing in 1080p, in fact I have a Sony Bravia 40" 1080p tv in my room, I could use that.

I honestly don't feel like rewriting my list of items, although editing it is a simple option, but I want to see if I can link my newegg shopping cart, as I'm not logged in it might work.

Link: http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view

Works for me (although I made it, so that doesn't say much, alot like linking your own computer files into a post), anyone else try it?

I'm trying to keep track of what people tell me, so I'll add it when/if I can remember. Like just now I think I forgot the 450GB VR and a different PSU.

If anyone can link a PSU capable of running a GTX 570 in SLI and has plenty of cables, please link the best one for the price you can.

Getting late, gonna add it as soon as someone links one, then I'm gonna go to bed. Will follow this post up later today.
Linking to your shopping cart won't work. Take a screenshot.

Also, sleep tight.
Amadeus
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASRock Pro 3 Z75 LGA 1155 Sapphire 7870 XT  ADATA 1600 MHZ DDR3 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM N/A Stock Windows 7 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Amadeus
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k ASRock Pro 3 Z75 LGA 1155 Sapphire 7870 XT  ADATA 1600 MHZ DDR3 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM N/A Stock Windows 7 64 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 78
Ya looks pretty good. Would like to see pictures as well. I subed
Edited by TheDude100 - 7/22/11 at 5:52am
post #37 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8981 View Post
OK, theres a lot of stuff being suggested in here, and being a new PC builder, here are my suggestions.

Get this PSU. Modular is way better. This means that any cables you don't need can be removed. Otherwise you have a ton of cables laying around.

Edit: PSU capable of running SLI 570s.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9011&Tpk=HX850

SSDs are great. They increase load times and boot times, but do nothing for increasing FPS. You would need a second hard drive for storage, and theres some config to be done. If you dont feel comfortable with that, get a Western Digital Black drive and save from the Velociraptor. You can always get an SSD later after you have had time to research it more, and you'll have the black drive as a secondary. Don't worry about raid or any of that stuff.

If you only plan to game, get the 2500K. If you plan to do any video encoding or other stuff that utilizes multiple threads, get the 2600K.

As for video cards, just get one. I would go with a 570. 580s are nice, but over 200 dollars more. You can always SLI them later if you want. However, if you may do that, I would plan ahead and make sure to get a motherboard that support dual PCI-e slots at 8X. Make sure its not one at 16x and the other at 4x. Also, you may want to get a PSU thats 750 or 850. I don't know for certain whats overkill for a PSU when doing SLI, but I have an 850 with 2 cards and its great. I'd rather have too much than skimp out to save a few bucks.

Remember, you said you want to build a good gaming computer, not an amazing top of the line money pit. Whatever you build, there will always be something thats better that you didnt do. Decide whats best for you, and don't waste money on ideas that sound great. I've been in your shoes
Video encoding isn't even on my radar.

I honestly think what you said fit my build perfectly. So basically I need to now know if my Motherboard is SLI ready, and it says it is in the description. Anyone need to confirm this?
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousLegend View Post
Video encoding isn't even on my radar.

I honestly think what you said fit my build perfectly. So basically I need to now know if my Motherboard is SLI ready, and it says it is in the description. Anyone need to confirm this?
Sorry, I didnt take the time to go back and look at it at first. Yes, that mobo looks great. The slots are spaced and they support 8x dual cards. Get that, the HX850, 2500K, 570, and a Black drive (size is up to you), and you'll have a great PC man. I forgot to mention, but others didnt, make sure to get a good CPU cooler. Hyper 212+ is great for the dollar, or maybe look at the corsair H series closed loop coolers. I haven't done a ton of research on those, so I don't know which to suggest to you.
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousLegend View Post
Video encoding isn't even on my radar.

I honestly think what you said fit my build perfectly. So basically I need to now know if my Motherboard is SLI ready, and it says it is in the description. Anyone need to confirm this?

Basically for it to be true SLI ready, you want 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 lanes, but if you dont want to shell out 300+ for a motherboard with that, an x8/x8 configuration or x16/x8 would be fine.
iSeven
(16 items)
 
Big Red
(11 items)
 
Ultimate rig 2013
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Gigabyte z77X-UD5H R9 290x HyperX Red 12 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SanDisk UltraPlus 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE VE248H x2 Ducky Shine Corsair 750w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H230 White Razer Ouroborous SteelSeries QcK+ Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 ASRock 970 extreme 4 XFX Radeon HD 6850 XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Blue Windows 7 x64 Acer 21 inch x3 G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler master 750w None ATM G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 Asus Radeon HD 7970 32 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Force GT 240 none Hyper 212 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 27 inch Razer blackwidow Silverstone Strider Switch 810 
Mouse
Razer Naga Epic 
  hide details  
Reply
iSeven
(16 items)
 
Big Red
(11 items)
 
Ultimate rig 2013
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Gigabyte z77X-UD5H R9 290x HyperX Red 12 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB SanDisk UltraPlus 240GB Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE VE248H x2 Ducky Shine Corsair 750w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT H230 White Razer Ouroborous SteelSeries QcK+ Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8320 ASRock 970 extreme 4 XFX Radeon HD 6850 XMS3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Blue Windows 7 x64 Acer 21 inch x3 G510 
PowerCaseMouse
Cooler master 750w None ATM G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8350 ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 Asus Radeon HD 7970 32 GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Force GT 240 none Hyper 212 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 27 inch Razer blackwidow Silverstone Strider Switch 810 
Mouse
Razer Naga Epic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 78
Thread Starter 
Heres the pics, didn't have time to resize, so I'm sorry if they end up to large. I will add more to the shopping cart tomorrow, I really appreciate everyone's advice! You guys were extremely helpful, and see you guys later today.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Building a Computer