Overclock.net banner

Phenom II X2 555 BE woes

1K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Fateful_Ikkou 
#1 ·
Alright so I've been using this Awesome cpu for over a year now on my M4A785TD-V Evo with all latent cores unlocked at 4.2Ghz Right? well I just recently Upgraded my computer with the stuff in my Signature and kept my cpu but now it won't stay stable with the unlocked cores and now im all ---->

Does anyone know what I should do to fix this or if my Motherboard just doesn't like my processor...

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh boy! Here we go.

Did you update the bios?

Start the whole overclocking process over. Work on the unlocked core first, and then start overclocking.

Set the bios core unlocker to Auto instead of Manual. Reboot and tell me if it unlocks all 4.

#3 ·
Sorry for not replying sooner, thought this thread was buried. Ty for replying:

Bios Update: No bios update available for this Board(First Release Bios only)

Tried unlocking manually and auto.

Any unlocked cores either in 0,1,2 - 0,1,3 or 0,1,2,3 Mode, cause the system to hang up even on stock settings and/or with upped Voltages. As I stated earlier I've used this CPU successfully for over a Year with all Cores unlocked just on a different board.

The bios will register the Unlock just fine but windows quite literally stalls when running in 3~4 core mode (no BSOD just freezes)

This is throwing me for a loop here as this is/was my best CPU and It's now malfunctioning.

EDIT: I've even tried reinstalling windows without any OC to the system then Unlocking/Overclocking afterwards.

#4 ·
Just so you know, you should always use Auto on Asus boards when doing core unlocking. If it is unsuccessful, try more vcore and CPU/NB voltage.

Manual is only used when locking cores. If I use manual, a core always fails. I am rock solid on Auto everytime.

Do you have LLC on?

#5 ·
Ok I just went through another round of testing and modifying and I still can't get it stable under windows. I've tried enabling LLC,Modifying Voltages, Adjusting Ram timings, Adjusting CPU Overclocks and Underclocks but nothing works. I'm going to shut down and transfer my cpu to the old board and see what happens.
frown.gif

I'll be back Online in a few hours, ty for the help.
thumb.gif

#6 ·
Good luck. I just bought an X3 720 that unlocks and boots into Windows perfectly fine every time. But no matter what volts I stress it at, it just freezes as well. Maybe its an Asus thing, or a 990FX chipset thing. I dont have another board to test it in though.

#8 ·
biggrin.gif
I'm telling you my CPU was meant for this board: M4A785TD-V Evo Because im running on that board right now with all cores unlocked @4.0Ghz with zero problems I think im going to keep it in this system and just use my old athlon on my 990FX until I can get a new CPU because the Phenom II X4 B55 just feels naked with just two core operation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;14316551
Good luck. I just bought an X3 720 that unlocks and boots into Windows perfectly fine every time. But no matter what volts I stress it at, it just freezes as well. Maybe its an Asus thing, or a 990FX chipset thing. I dont have another board to test it in though.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's a chipset problem maybe they'll release a Bios update soon that fixes it?

#10 ·
sad-smiley-002.gif
Now my SSD has gone south...Good thing I have My amazing back up computer that I literally just put my Phenom in yesterday XD
lachen.gif

My main rig is just having problem after problem lately right?
thinking.gif
Maybe it's time to buy some more parts to phase out the old ones...What cpu would you recommend other than the 955 BE cause my B55 does laps around that one. (My brother has the 955 in his rig)

If my main rig as working id be using an OLD Athlon 250 Regor
mad.gif
and my SSD Just broke: Pics below

The power connector broke and I keep getting power fluctuations because the connector is loose, trust me I've tried to fix it but really this is still SATAII so...time for an Upgrade right?

#11 ·
What do you think about this OEM CPU cause I've already got an Aftermarket Heatsink I'll save good deal of money with this Option?

LINK

Only thing is I think it's not a Black Edition...

Or the possibility of a Tri-Core unlocked to a Quad core?

LINK

Just something to replace my Athlon until Bulldozer comes out?

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou;14326616
What do you think about this OEM CPU cause I've already got an Aftermarket Heatsink I'll save good deal of money with this Option?

LINK

Only thing is I think it's not a Black Edition...

Or the possibility of a Tri-Core unlocked to a Quad core?

LINK

Just something to replace my Athlon until Bulldozer comes out?
Bulldozer release has been confirmed for September, it may be worth just waiting without upgrading.

However if you can't wait (like most of us
tongue.gif
) I would get the x4, $10 for an extra core is more than worth it and they will both OC to similar levels with the same heat (unless you get a really good or bad chip but this is obviously random). Not to mention the x3 might not even unlock.

#13 ·
Lol yeah, I can't wait to see what an upgrade from an old dusty Athlon 250 to Zambezi core will be like.
biggrin.gif

That would be funny but seriously an Athlon 250 on my 990FX is kinda:
kookoo.gif

plus my SSD is not operable in a desktop solution so I have to get a new one, I suppose I should just hurry up and purchase the things I need to complete my build. Do you think I should purchase all the upgrades now or wait and use my backup rig until then?

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou
View Post

Lol yeah, I can't wait to see what an upgrade from an old dusty Athlon 250 to Zambezi core will be like.

That would be funny but seriously an Athlon 250 on my 990FX is kinda:

plus my SSD is not operable in a desktop solution so I have to get a new one, I suppose I should just hurry up and purchase the things I need to complete my build. Do you think I should purchase all the upgrades now or wait and use my backup rig until then?

Definitely wait if it's within your budget. Bulldozer will be much more powerful than the current Phenom IIs.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BWG
View Post

Is your X2 unlocking to at least an X3?

You have a C3 chip right?

It unlocks in the Bios but as soon as I get into a windows environment it freezes, so I believe it's a chipset problem which should/could be fixed with a Bios update.

However upon reinstalling MY X2 into my old Motherboard it unlocks all cores and OCs up to 4.2Ghz with no problems and Is extremely stable...

#18 ·
Although many do not have issues unlocking these two and three core chips on the 9xx series, some other people do have exactly the same issue being described. I am one of those people. Notice my sig rig.

This problem does not appear to be limited to a certain brand or even a specific 9xx series chipset, as I have seen many others with the same issue, and I can provide references to back it up.

My guess is that it has something to do with bulldozer, but I'm not sure what. I know that when Gigabyte updated the 890gpa-ud3h bios for bulldozer, they disabled the core unlock function. That tells me that it has to do with adding bulldozer support possibly.

#20 ·
well, It wouldn't be very profitable for them to disable the core unlocking features on their boards because Im sure even if AMD stopped producing the unlockable series other companies would still profit from the series that do for several more years to come. The only reason I could see a company disabling this option with a Bios update is because they later found the board(s) unstable when unlocked or other various issue(s)

About the RMA... I never get to send items back in to get replaced because I don't have a vehicle therefore it's hard to get someone to drive me to a post office to ship it off... Trust me I've tried to send items back in but never get a chance to before the 14 day period ends
frown.gif

^I know it sounds stupid but that's just my situation
(It is kinda funny though)

#22 ·
thinking.gif
Hmm order UPS labels through Newegg from now on...

Great idea with the Order pickup...
thumb.gif

Everything else works fine on the board except for little problems below:

*USB Ports still power devices after shutdown of computer
*Computer wakes from sleep mode on its own
kookoo.gif

*Doesn't unlock quite right (but we already now this)

But seriously with this build getting me ready for the new Zambezi core I guess I can wait until September to get an amazing CPU?

#23 ·
It wakes from sleep because of the Internet Adapter. You go into device manager and double click it. Go to power manager and unclick allow this device to wake computer. I personally use the magic packet option so I am able to wake it up remotely and then connect to it through remote desktop.

The board has a USB power feature while off. It is made for charging phones and stuff while it is off, but when you have a wireless adapter plugged into usb, it comes in handy when waking up the computer as described above. Otherwise, wireless internet adapters won't stay on and wake up the computer when pinged with the magic packet.

If you do not need it to power anything, you should be able to turn it off in the bios. My board let's me do that.

Just wait. X2 plays games fine and stuff

#24 ·
Yeah it's nice but I already installed it into my backup system and I might be getting a 3-core or 4-core here soon, I'm going to try and get it for cheap through Newegg, I really want to try and play the Battlefield Alpha but my old Athlon isn't fast enough...
laugher.gif

I just built my Younger brother a really powerful computer so I'll probably play on his computer while he's gone.

Thanks for all your help
cheers.gif

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BWG
View Post

The X2 555 should play anything at 4GHz. Did you ditch that CPU or something? You could still use it with only 2 cores. I missed something lol

Athlon II? Where did that old thing come from?

Yeah I put it in my backup computer and unlocked it to a Quad core like it deserves, That is an amazing processor I wish I could get it stable on my 990FX board but I tried everything to get it to work and it won't so back on the 785G board it went were it belongs.

And as for the Athlon II I had it from back when I was first building computers.You know back when I was just upgrading from a P4 system with a 8500GT: LINK for lulz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.