Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › RAM not being read
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RAM not being read - Page 2

post #11 of 20
okay, I took a look at the manual and it 2 sets of memory slots are made for each cpu.
so, one set of triple channel sockets is for one cpu and the other set of triple channel socket is for the second cpu socket. If you run the mobo with 4 dimm and 2 cpus' it will not operate in dual channel rather a triple channel for the 1st cpu and 1 "channel" for the second. Right now your rig looks like it has a faulty stick and you should switch each one by one with the fourth stick (dimm- d1). or if that doesn't work run the suspicious stick under mem test to make sure both aren't faulty.

take a look at your manual pg 2-16
ORION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 x4 ASUS Crosshair V Formula msi gtx 570 OC ED. Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xc300raid0 1tbf3 1tbx2black caviar 1tbgreen Samsung SH-S223L <3 windows 7 ultimate 64x LG IPS236 viewsonic 24" vs12324 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Dinovo CoolerMaster silent Pro Gold 1000w Silverstone TJ05 Customized Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Family photos 
  hide details  
Reply
ORION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 x4 ASUS Crosshair V Formula msi gtx 570 OC ED. Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xc300raid0 1tbf3 1tbx2black caviar 1tbgreen Samsung SH-S223L <3 windows 7 ultimate 64x LG IPS236 viewsonic 24" vs12324 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Dinovo CoolerMaster silent Pro Gold 1000w Silverstone TJ05 Customized Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Family photos 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by damninhell View Post
okay, I took a look at the manual and it 2 sets of memory slots are made for each cpu.
so, one set of triple channel sockets is for one cpu and the other set of triple channel socket is for the second cpu socket. If you run the mobo with 4 dimm and 2 cpus' it will not operate in dual channel rather a triple channel for the 1st cpu and 1 "channel" for the second. Right now your rig looks like it has a faulty stick and you should switch each one by one with the fourth stick (dimm- d1). or if that doesn't work run the suspicious stick under mem test to make sure both aren't faulty.

take a look at your manual pg 2-16
Yea, but we dont have a second CPU installed. So according to what you say, that should be the reason we are having these issues. So you think the 4th stick in D1 is probably the bad one?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsox88 View Post
Yea, but we dont have a second CPU installed. So according to what you say, that should be the reason we are having these issues. So you think the 4th stick in D1 is probably the bad one?
Try running with 3 sticks for your installed cpu. It should work.
VH001
(17 items)
 
VH002
(15 items)
 
VH003
(16 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS 8 x Toshiba 5TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 2 x Dynatron R22 6 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
IPMI SuperMicro 650W PSU SuperMicro CSE-833T-650B Black 3U Rackmount Ser... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter 
Other
HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel S2600CP2J Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 x Intel AUPSRCBTP VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI Intel 750W PSU 
CaseOtherOther
Intel P4216XXMHGR 4U Server Chassis Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR3-F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Dynatron R22 3 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI 
PowerCaseOtherOther
SuperMicro 563W PSU SuperMicro CSE-825TQ-563LPB 2U Rackmount Server... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
VH001
(17 items)
 
VH002
(15 items)
 
VH003
(16 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR7-LN4F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS 8 x Toshiba 5TB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 2 x Dynatron R22 6 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
IPMI SuperMicro 650W PSU SuperMicro CSE-833T-650B Black 3U Rackmount Ser... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter 
Other
HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel S2600CP2J Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
2 x Intel AUPSRCBTP VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI Intel 750W PSU 
CaseOtherOther
Intel P4216XXMHGR 4U Server Chassis Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Intel Xeon E5-2670 SuperMicro X9DR3-F Onboard Graphics 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
128GB (16 x 8GB) 1333MHz ECC Registered DDR3 4 x Micron M500 480GB SSD 4 x Hitachi 450GB 10K SAS Intel 750 400GB NVME SSD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Dynatron R22 3 x SuperMicro 5K RPM Fans VMWare vSphere 6 IPMI 
PowerCaseOtherOther
SuperMicro 563W PSU SuperMicro CSE-825TQ-563LPB 2U Rackmount Server... Intel X520-T2 Dual Port 10GbE Server Adapter HP P420 1GB Smart Array Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsox88 View Post
Yea, but we dont have a second CPU installed. So according to what you say, that should be the reason we are having these issues. So you think the 4th stick in D1 is probably the bad one?
no, if your only seeing 8 gb then i think the the bad dimm is in slot c1, replace the stick in c1 with the one in d1, placing ram in d1 is useless with out a second cpu
Edited by damninhell - 7/23/11 at 7:39am
ORION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 x4 ASUS Crosshair V Formula msi gtx 570 OC ED. Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xc300raid0 1tbf3 1tbx2black caviar 1tbgreen Samsung SH-S223L <3 windows 7 ultimate 64x LG IPS236 viewsonic 24" vs12324 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Dinovo CoolerMaster silent Pro Gold 1000w Silverstone TJ05 Customized Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Family photos 
  hide details  
Reply
ORION
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 x4 ASUS Crosshair V Formula msi gtx 570 OC ED. Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xc300raid0 1tbf3 1tbx2black caviar 1tbgreen Samsung SH-S223L <3 windows 7 ultimate 64x LG IPS236 viewsonic 24" vs12324 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Dinovo CoolerMaster silent Pro Gold 1000w Silverstone TJ05 Customized Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Family photos 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
I would like to find a way to rule that c1 is bad. Couldnt I do this by just taking out the ram in d1 so its forced to run tripple and use all 3 slots?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
I would like to find a way to rule that c1 is bad. Couldnt I do this by just taking out the ram in d1 so its forced to run tripple and use all 3 slots?
For the love of all that is holy bro...no one in their right mind would even think of running a board with memory but without a CPU. I don't know exactly why your board is doing what it's doing. Maybe it assumes the second CPU is present but faulty and has therefore disabled that range of NUMA addresses (the ones that correspond to the first stick) across both CPUs. Maybe the memory bus can't function properly with the registers on the 2nd bus sending out electrical signals but no memory controller on that bus to regulate those signals. Perhaps the folks at Asus just enjoy screwing around with people who do stupid ****.

Regardless, what you are trying to do is not normal by any stretch of the imagination. You can't put memory in your board when there is not even a memory controller there to address it. I have no idea whether your memory is bad or not, but please just try it in a configuration that actually makes sense before jumping to conclusions about this or that component being faulty.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeaccount View Post
For the love of all that is holy bro...no one in their right mind would even think of running a board with memory but without a CPU. I don't know exactly why your board is doing what it's doing. Maybe it assumes the second CPU is present but faulty and has therefore disabled that range of NUMA addresses (the ones that correspond to the first stick) across both CPUs. Maybe the memory bus can't function properly with the registers on the 2nd bus sending out electrical signals but no memory controller on that bus to regulate those signals. Perhaps the folks at Asus just enjoy screwing around with people who do stupid ****.

Regardless, what you are trying to do is not normal by any stretch of the imagination. You can't put memory in your board when there is not even a memory controller there to address it. I have no idea whether your memory is bad or not, but please just try it in a configuration that actually makes sense before jumping to conclusions about this or that component being faulty.

So again, assuming the memory is fine taking out the dimm from slot 4 (d1) then it should work normal, however of course just have 12gb ram..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsox88 View Post
So again, assuming the memory is fine taking out the dimm from slot 4 (d1) then it should work normal, however of course just have 12gb ram..
Yessir! Don't forget to reset the cmos
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Nothing has worked. If I move the DIMM from slot C1 over to one of the other
slots then only 4GB of RAM is showing up as usable.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATI 5770 GeIL Ultra 2 x 2GB DDR3 2200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Seagate DVDRW 54x Windows 7 64-bit 23" Acer 
PowerCaseMouse
530w Raidmax Raidmax Dirk-Tooth Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 20
So, you have 3 dimms in the CPU1 slots and you've reset the cmos? I assume you've already tried replacing each dimm in the cpu1 slots with the 4th/spare dimm you have?

Is the error light for CPU2 on or off?
Have you tried running memory test on each stick individually? I would suggest HCI memtest for this; the faster error detection is well worth the price.

All I can suggest at this point is:
1) Update BIOS (latest version is 1207)
2) Remove raid card
3) Force memory speed to 800
4) Set DCU mode to with ECC
5) Set DCU prefetch to 40
6) Ensure that A20 support is disabled
7) Disable NUMA
8) Set rank interleaving to 2
9) Ensure that there is no weight on the motherboard, it's properly mounted/supported from below, and nothing allows it to flex. The 1366 platform is very sensitive about this - I once caused half the memory in a system to disappear by pressing down on a PCIe card.

If none of the above works and the memory passes memtest, your next step should probably be to pick up some memory from the z8na compatibility list. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get a new motherboard.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › RAM not being read