Originally Posted by ecnelitsep;14330626
Future proofing is a word used too many times on this forum. Why waste your money "Future Proofing" when Ivy Bridge is 9 months away?
Because 9 months is a bit too long to wait. I'm upgrading now because my Q9550 and UD3P are still worth quite a bit, and will pay for all but $200 if I go i7, and all but $100 if I go i5. When IB comes along, I'll be able to sell off the i7 easily, and drop an IB proc in. If I was to wait for IB, I'm sure something else would be in the works, and I might get another comment "well why waste your money "future proofing" when super epic monster bridge comes out in another 9 months?"
Originally Posted by fuloran1;14331030
I have to agree. And as far as resale, yeah, you may get more for the i7 later, but you're spending more now. But as usual it comes down to epeen, so I'm betting you go i7, lol.
I view my parts as an investment for the long term. Yes I spend more, to get more later. I also want to avoid buyers remorse, and start wishing I had spent another $100. And you're right, epeen has quite a bit to do with it.
I think I've settled on i7 for now. Bigadv is something I've really been wanting to do for a while now. Since all told, after I sell off my current stuff, I should only be out $200, its worth it.