Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Expected price drop of current AM3 Cpus? And comments on my upgrade plan?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Expected price drop of current AM3 Cpus? And comments on my upgrade plan?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
My plan for upgrade right now is to get the cheapest AM3 quad core I can(or maybe a 3 core if it's significantly cheaper) either in like a week, or when bulldozer comes out. Then I'm going to get a Am3+ mobo and 8GB of DDR3 Ram a month or so later. And then finally a few months after that I'll have enough money for a bulldozer cpu, probably a 6 core, maybe an 8 core if they aren't too much more. And then I'll upgrade my graphics card, not to anything fancy but just something decent.
That's my plan, lemme know if you think I should change anything. My main use for my computer is Runescape gold farming bots. The more bots I can run at once, the more money I make.(if you have no idea what I need for that, just think extreme multitasking), and I occasionally play some games, but when I do play games I don't mind playing on lowest settings. (that's why I'm upgrading my graphics card last)

So my actual question was how much will the prices of current Phenom II x4s go down when bulldozers come out? Right now the cheapest one on Newegg is about $70, would I be able to get one for less than $50 if I waited till BD comes out?
Also where's a good place to look for used CPUs? I don't have high enough rep to buy here, I looked on ebay and they're all more expensive than the cheapest one on Newegg. Also looked on Craigslist and didn't find any.
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
The way I understand it is that when bulldozer comes out, AM3 Phenoms and Athlons will start to get phased out from the market. Apparently the new socket FM1 CPUs will replace them, while bulldozer will become the high-end side of AMD's CPU lineup.

Anyway, I suggest you keep your current rig until bulldozer comes out and then upgrade to Bulldozer - its a waste of money to buy a processor now, just to change it in a few months. By then you should have saved more money anyway and you'd be able to buy a nice CPU cooler and do some good overclocking
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 - 750 @ 3.35GHz (159x21), Cooled by Hy... Asus P7P55D Pro Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X OC x2 4GB (8gb) Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 500gb and a 1000gb CD/DVD RW drive Windows 7 Premium x64 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Internet 350 Antech True Power 750watt Coolermaster Storm Scout Gigabyte M7 800/1600/3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 - 750 @ 3.35GHz (159x21), Cooled by Hy... Asus P7P55D Pro Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X OC x2 4GB (8gb) Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 500gb and a 1000gb CD/DVD RW drive Windows 7 Premium x64 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Internet 350 Antech True Power 750watt Coolermaster Storm Scout Gigabyte M7 800/1600/3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
That doesn't sound like a good plan to me at all. I'd just wait if I were you. I really don't trust motherboard manufactures to provide updates to support the new CPUs. In most cases they do, but in some cases a few models get left out, in which case you'd be SOL.
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
For Sale: MSI Z97 SLI Plus, Corsair DDR3 2000, Noctua NH-U12P
$0.00 (USD) or best offer
SG13B
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxaris71 View Post
The way I understand it is that when bulldozer comes out, AM3 Phenoms and Athlons will start to get phased out from the market. Apparently the new socket FM1 CPUs will replace them, while bulldozer will become the high-end side of AMD's CPU lineup.

Anyway, I suggest you keep your current rig until bulldozer comes out and then upgrade to Bulldozer - its a waste of money to buy a processor now, just to change it in a few months. By then you should have saved more money anyway and you'd be able to buy a nice CPU cooler and do some good overclocking
BD is coming out next month, I wont have enough to get anything yet.
I guess I didn't explain it well enough..
first I'm going to upgrade to a Phenom II x4 then like a month later to bulldozer ready mobo/ram(currently have a am2+ board with ddr2 ram), then like 2 months after that, to a BD cpu.
The reason I'm getting the cheap cpu and mobo and ram before I have enough to just get a whole BD system is because the faster my computer is, the faster I'll be making money. Plus then when this rig is my secondary rig, it will be more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
That doesn't sound like a good plan to me at all. I'd just wait if I were you. I really don't trust motherboard manufactures to provide updates to support the new CPUs. In most cases they do, but in some cases a few models get left out, in which case you'd be SOL.
The only thing I'd be getting before BD comes out is the cheap AM3 CPU.
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYonderGod View Post
BD is coming out next month, I wont have enough to get anything yet.
I guess I didn't explain it well enough..
first I'm going to upgrade to a Phenom II x4 then like a month later to bulldozer ready mobo/ram(currently have a am2+ board with ddr2 ram), then like 2 months after that, to a BD cpu.
The reason I'm getting the cheap cpu and mobo and ram before I have enough to just get a whole BD system is because the faster my computer is, the faster I'll be making money. Plus then when this rig is my secondary rig, it will be more powerful.


The only thing I'd be getting before BD comes out is the cheap AM3 CPU.
If you're fine with spending an extra $80 on a cheap am3 cpu, then its ur choice lol
You can probably sell it later on when you get bulldozer but by then, prices might drop on AM3 cpus quite a bit.

Anyway, Go for it!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 - 750 @ 3.35GHz (159x21), Cooled by Hy... Asus P7P55D Pro Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X OC x2 4GB (8gb) Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 500gb and a 1000gb CD/DVD RW drive Windows 7 Premium x64 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Internet 350 Antech True Power 750watt Coolermaster Storm Scout Gigabyte M7 800/1600/3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 - 750 @ 3.35GHz (159x21), Cooled by Hy... Asus P7P55D Pro Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270X OC x2 4GB (8gb) Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
x2 500gb and a 1000gb CD/DVD RW drive Windows 7 Premium x64 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Internet 350 Antech True Power 750watt Coolermaster Storm Scout Gigabyte M7 800/1600/3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
By the way, the minimum O/C Marketplace REP + count requirement is for SELLING, not for BUYING. You can buy used parts there even if you never, ever got a single REP +.
post #7 of 11
Is there a reason you need an 8-core processor? A better video card will do wonders for your system, even compared to upgrading from a dual core to a quad core.

Here's the upgrade path I would take if you want to upgrade those three things
- Upgrade video card to something decent and modern, like a 6850.
- Upgrade to a quad core CPU
- Upgrade to an octocore CPU + mobo + ram

For a gaming machine, there is no reason you should go for an 8-core processor while still running with a 9500 GT.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Is there a reason you need an 8-core processor? A better video card will do wonders for your system, even compared to upgrading from a dual core to a quad core.

Here's the upgrade path I would take if you want to upgrade those three things
- Upgrade video card to something decent and modern, like a 6850.
- Upgrade to a quad core CPU
- Upgrade to an octocore CPU + mobo + ram

For a gaming machine, there is no reason you should go for an 8-core processor while still running with a 9500 GT.

You mustve not read his post...
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
Pre OCN build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii B97 ECS A970M-A AM3+ EVGA GXT 460 2x4gb adata 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung F3 1TB Samsung f3 1tb Samsung HD155UI 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
Super Writemaster DVDr Windows 7 Samsung Syncmaster Antec Basiq power 550 + 
Case
Bitfenix Raider 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post
You mustve not read his post...
Lol, indeed I must've skimmed over the important parts.
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness View Post
By the way, the minimum O/C Marketplace REP + count requirement is for SELLING, not for BUYING. You can buy used parts there even if you never, ever got a single REP +.
I didn't know that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Lol, indeed I must've skimmed over the important parts.
It's the thought that counts, right? ;p Thanks anyways.


But does anyone know the answer to my main question, would I be able to get a 3 or 4 core am3 processor for like $50 or less when BD comes out?
Edited by TheYonderGod - 7/25/11 at 5:53pm
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
My rig
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Turion TL-60 x2 2Ghz Acer Aspire 5517 Radeon HD 3200 4GB DDR2 800 Mhz 
Hard DriveOS
64GB Kingston SSD Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Expected price drop of current AM3 Cpus? And comments on my upgrade plan?