Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › OCZ Agility 3 update?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OCZ Agility 3 update?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Ok I just received my ssd drive today. I checked the firmware and it is currently at 2.06. My question is should I update the firmware to 2.09 before I install my os or leave it alone?
My First Intel
(13 items)
 
My Second Intel
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5@ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI GTX 580 Lightning Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Black Cavier LG Blu Ray Windows 7 X64 Ultimate Asus VG278H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 HAF 932 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SAT... MSI GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) N580GTX Lightning X... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SAT... Corsair Hydro Series H80  Win 7 X64 Cooler Master 932 
  hide details  
Reply
My First Intel
(13 items)
 
My Second Intel
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.5@ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI GTX 580 Lightning Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb) 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Black Cavier LG Blu Ray Windows 7 X64 Ultimate Asus VG278H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 HAF 932 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SAT... MSI GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) N580GTX Lightning X... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SAT... Corsair Hydro Series H80  Win 7 X64 Cooler Master 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
rule of thumb with Firmware BIOS or otherwise. If it aint broke... then you're going to break it... lol

Don't touch it. On the other hand. Flash in firefox caused mine to bluescreen. I went from 2.06 to 2.09, but its still only 1% of users with the issue. You can update after OS is installed if there is an issue.
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Update to firmware 2.08 and give it a try for a few weeks. If you have issues, move to 2.09 at that point.

Less than 1% users is a response to keep OCZ shareholders happy. Simply going by neweggs verified reviews, the number is greater than that.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
Update to firmware 2.08 and give it a try for a few weeks. If you have issues, move to 2.09 at that point.

Less than 1% users is a response to keep OCZ shareholders happy. Simply going by neweggs verified reviews, the number is greater than that.
There's an updater to go straight to 2.09, there's no point to going to 2.08 first as people still have issues with 2.08. A few threads above you'll see i posted with 3 or 4 other people who had BSODs fixed with 2.09.

Also, newegg succumbs to the same factors of human psychology as any other review site. People who are happy generally don't write its amazing as much as people who have something go wrong. The percentage of people who complain when something is broke is greater than the percentage of people who praise when it works.
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Also, newegg succumbs to the same factors of human psychology as any other review site. People who are happy generally don't write its amazing as much as people who have something go wrong. The percentage of people who complain when something is broke is greater than the percentage of people who praise when it works.
Of course it does. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. But that argument only works comparing good to bad reviews.

If you look at it hypothetically but logically, 35 reviews have given the Vertex 3 120gb a 1 star rating. That means if OCZ's less than 1% is to be believed, newegg has to have sold 3501 Vertex 3 120gb drives during the past 3 months. To be fair, I'd say the number of reviews with bsod mentioned are probably 20ish which still means they'd have to sell 2k drives for their number of failures to be correct.

Plus the total number of reviews sits at about 150. I've read before that newegg gets 1 review for every 3 products sold on average.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
Of course it does. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. But that argument only works comparing good to bad reviews.

If you look at it hypothetically but logically, 35 reviews have given the Vertex 3 120gb a 1 star rating. That means if OCZ's less than 1% is to be believed, newegg has to have sold 3501 Vertex 3 120gb drives during the past 3 months. To be fair, I'd say the number of reviews with bsod mentioned are probably 20ish which still means they'd have to sell 2k drives for their number of failures to be correct.

Plus the total number of reviews sits at about 150. I've read before that newegg gets 1 review for every 3 products sold on average.
I like that you did the math on that, but i still think he should just go right to 2.09
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
2011 Gaming Build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock P67 Extreme4 2x AMD 4870s 2x4gb GSkill RipjawsX 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
OCZ vertex 3 WD Caviar Black Corsair H60 Windows 7 professsional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Samsung BX2331 Corsair ATXv2 850W Thermaltake Element G MX518 
AudioAudio
Sennheisser HD555 Klipsch 2.1 promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I like that you did the math on that, but i still think he should just go right to 2.09
LOL, can you tell I'm still a little bitter with OCZ? After being told for a month that the bsod was something I did during setup or because of my overclock then after 5 secure erases and reloading windows fresh and following a 15 step setup guide to only have the bsod all over again, they send out a new firmware that's been stable for almost 6 weeks.

But yeah, I agree he should go right to 2.09 version. 2.10 is supposed to be out soon.

Luckily for me, I use my home comp for pleasure only. The worst thing that a bsod did was corrupt a Fallout New Vegas save file causing me to lose 6 hours of gameplay. Some people on the OCZ forum have lost work projects.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
rule of thumb with Firmware BIOS or otherwise. If it aint broke... then you're going to break it... lol

Don't touch it. On the other hand. Flash in firefox caused mine to bluescreen. I went from 2.06 to 2.09, but its still only 1% of users with the issue. You can update after OS is installed if there is an issue.
I am sure that if you belongs to the 1% group, your trouble will be 100%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › OCZ Agility 3 update?