Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread! - Page 415

post #4141 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

my point is and has always been the same this is the most advanced, most intricate mmo that will be available for a long time...

Is this Opinion or Fact? Sound like an opinion to me. What makes the coding so more advanced and intricate then lets say Guild Wars 2 or even WoW for that matter? honestly the only thing SWTOR bring to the table that other MMOs dont' is the voice overs.
post #4142 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I had many people quoted and unfortunately, my iPad just won't separate the bbcq from eachother so, I'm just going to address several issues...
1) I'm an admin for Alienware, in charge of nginx development and I run the beta office.
2) I really don't care what anyone thinks of me, I've made that extremely obvious...I got to where I am today by doing my best and I'll continue to do so until the day I leave here...with that comes the experience of running over 60 currently active betas in my office, 12 games and 4 future mmos including 2 that are being processed by blizzard.
3) I'm here purely because I choose to be, it's the same reason I'm not a hardware vendor...my answers are my own, I am responsible for what I say and I'm glad some of you are saying something, that's great...for the first time today, we've actually had a condusive, positive conversation.
4) I get very tired of repeating myself and it's not about the sympathy...it's about the lack of understanding at how truly hard the task is at hand.
If someone told me they were climbing a hill and failed, I may laugh but, if someone told me they were climbing Everest and failed, that's certainly something to take into consideration...unfortunately, we're climbing Everest and the 2.2m of you treat it as if it's the apartment stairs,
So in closing, I'm here on my own will, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, facts are facts and generally I'm just tired of the disrespect towards a goal that's incredibly difficult...if any of you truly think the graphics are that big of a deal, play something else.

Im confused here masked, can you help me out please. You say you work for Alienware yeah? The impression you give is that you work for Bioware and are heavily involved in the building/coding/running of this game when in actual fact you are not are you. I actually believe you probably know about as much as the rest of us plebs when it comes to the inner workings of this game.

Whilst you say you you got to where you are today by doing your "best" did that "best" include customer relations? To be honest I would never considering buying overpriced crap such as alienware anyway but you sure as hell are not doing their reputation any good ill tell you that much. Personally I couldn't care less if their is an alienware rep on this site or not anyway.

I appreciate you feel like your repeating yourself but just because you feel you are right it does not make it so. This is a place for discussing both the positive and negative aspects of this game which I feel we should be able to do in a calm, polite and friendly manner whether we agree or disagree.

As for swtor, I stand by what I said earlier and that is that i love this game, have put alot of time into as well but as someone else pointed out with the pictures earlier the graphics are sub par, 2002 console like pap. Bioware have also sold this game giving the impression that High res graphics were part of it which is a little on the naughty side.
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4143 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

my point is and has always been the same this is the most advanced, most intricate mmo that will be available for a long time...

Is this Opinion or Fact? Sound like an opinion to me. What makes the coding so more advanced and intricate then lets say Guild Wars 2 or even WoW for that matter? honestly the only thing SWTOR bring to the table that other MMOs dont' is the voice overs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanrak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

I had many people quoted and unfortunately, my iPad just won't separate the bbcq from eachother so, I'm just going to address several issues...
1) I'm an admin for Alienware, in charge of nginx development and I run the beta office.
2) I really don't care what anyone thinks of me, I've made that extremely obvious...I got to where I am today by doing my best and I'll continue to do so until the day I leave here...with that comes the experience of running over 60 currently active betas in my office, 12 games and 4 future mmos including 2 that are being processed by blizzard.
3) I'm here purely because I choose to be, it's the same reason I'm not a hardware vendor...my answers are my own, I am responsible for what I say and I'm glad some of you are saying something, that's great...for the first time today, we've actually had a condusive, positive conversation.
4) I get very tired of repeating myself and it's not about the sympathy...it's about the lack of understanding at how truly hard the task is at hand.
If someone told me they were climbing a hill and failed, I may laugh but, if someone told me they were climbing Everest and failed, that's certainly something to take into consideration...unfortunately, we're climbing Everest and the 2.2m of you treat it as if it's the apartment stairs,
So in closing, I'm here on my own will, I don't care what anyone thinks of me, facts are facts and generally I'm just tired of the disrespect towards a goal that's incredibly difficult...if any of you truly think the graphics are that big of a deal, play something else.

Im confused here masked, can you help me out please. You say you work for Alienware yeah? The impression you give is that you work for Bioware and are heavily involved in the building/coding/running of this game when in actual fact you are not are you. I actually believe you probably know about as much as the rest of us plebs when it comes to the inner workings of this game.

Whilst you say you you got to where you are today by doing your "best" did that "best" include customer relations? To be honest I would never considering buying overpriced crap such as alienware anyway but you sure as hell are not doing their reputation any good ill tell you that much. Personally I couldn't care less if their is an alienware rep on this site or not anyway.

I appreciate you feel like your repeating yourself but just because you feel you are right it does not make it so. This is a place for discussing both the positive and negative aspects of this game which I feel we should be able to do in a calm, polite and friendly manner whether we agree or disagree.

As for swtor, I stand by what I said earlier and that is that i love this game, have put alot of time into as well but as someone else pointed out with the pictures earlier the graphics are sub par, 2002 console like pap. Bioware have also sold this game giving the impression that High res graphics were part of it which is a little on the naughty side.

Everything here has been answered previously...Perhaps it would behoove you to read a bit back?

I not repeating myself anymore...sorry.

Time to go to work ladies, server comes down in a few hours and I cancelled ces due to them needing more time in Austin...my apologies to those of you I had plans with at ces.

Good night.
post #4144 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan View Post

Is this Opinion or Fact? Sound like an opinion to me. What makes the coding so more advanced and intricate then lets say Guild Wars 2 or even WoW for that matter? honestly the only thing SWTOR bring to the table that other MMOs dont' is the voice overs.

Spot on mate, just because this game may be twice the size in raw data does not mean it is a better more advanced game. Its could just be poorly optimized or simply have more textures/audio in that data. Personally, voice acting aside I see nothing mind blowingly different about it than EQ 2 in terms of advanced technology.
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4145 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan View Post

Is this Opinion or Fact? Sound like an opinion to me. What makes the coding so more advanced and intricate then lets say Guild Wars 2 or even WoW for that matter? honestly the only thing SWTOR bring to the table that other MMOs dont' is the voice overs.

You do realize SWTOR made their own engine and WoW didnt? Even their servers do some sort of automatic push updating system to reduce the server downtime. And Blizzard has a crazy amount of employees compared to Bioware and SWTOR just released, you should not expect WoW quality in a newly released MMO, that is just ignorant.
Also, it sounds like you have never done any sort of professional coding in your life. Even though, I hardly think that its the coding problem, its probably more of an optimization problem. Where optimization is an even more difficult bug to fix than just adding an option to include hi-res.
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
Wifey Rig
(11 items)
 
Xbox PC
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.8GHz stable ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 MSI GTX 980 Ti 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1866Mhz Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 1.5 TB HDD XSPC Raystorm RS360 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Acer 28" 4K Corsair AX750 Corsair 800D SWTOR Razer Naga 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium XSPC RS120 8 x GT AP-15s White Sleeved Cables for Corsair AX750 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus EVGA GTX 680 2x4 GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500GB WD Black 64 GB Crucial M4 Sony CD/DVD burner H40 w/ GT AP-15s 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Home 64 bit Corsair CX430 APEVIA X-Plorer2 Pink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G620 Foxconn H67S ITX Intel HD 2000 2 x 4GB 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
256GB Crucial M4 Old Laptop CD/DVD drive Windows 7 picoPSU-150-XT 
OtherOtherOther
4 x Purple LEDs Power button Tranquility Xbox 360 Skin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4146 of 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

You do realize SWTOR made their own engine and WoW didnt? Even their servers do some sort of automatic push updating system to reduce the server downtime. And Blizzard has a crazy amount of employees compared to Bioware and SWTOR just released, you should not expect WoW quality in a newly released MMO, that is just ignorant.
Also, it sounds like you have never done any sort of professional coding in your life. Even though, I hardly think that its the coding problem, its probably more of an optimization problem. Where optimization is an even more difficult bug to fix than just adding an option to include hi-res.

But the thing is you super intelligent programmers may be totally blown away by this astonishing incredible feat of coding but to us plebs/casuals (which i think you will find will be the majority of players) it does not matter if they have super servers on the moon powered by alien nano technology and coded with a never before used and brand new computer language that has originated from hieroglyphics . The end result is the same to us. The game is to me above average but not spectacular, it apart from voice acting does nothing i have not seen before in an MMO and the graphics are pants.

However on saying that, Iv had fun with it and will continue to play it until my sub runs out at least.
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
The Hairy Pie
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Asus P5Q Deluxe XFX 5970 8 GB Kingston Hyper X 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB Samsung F3 Sony DVD 64 Bit Windows 7 Samsung 2032MW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Enermax Galaxy 850W Corsair 600T White Edition Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4147 of 8091
LOL at Bioware is almost all I can say.

Man I defended them on every single thing but I can't anymore. Everyone realize that Bioware has just NOW come out and said it was intentional b/c of server limitations right?? Everyone realize they are only doing that b/c the community got into such an uproar. These fools actually thought they could simply put in a small patch note saying that it was fixed and people would just accept it and move on. THEY LIED TO US and they only came out with the truth today.

Think about that. Can you really trust them anymore?

Honestly I don't buy their excuse I think it's a poor scape goat. They try to hide behind all this tech jargon and get high and mighty people such as Masked to talk to us masses like we're idiots and have no idea how to design a game. Well maybe I don't but guess what I never said I could either. I never chose to become a video game designer. I never had over 100 million dollars thrown at me to do it either. This is their job and if they took what was the most hyped MMO in the history of MMO's and couldn't get that ready then what the hell were they doing?

Even if you want to swallow this latest junk as truth (don't know why you would as they have lied already) that only makes them look even more incompetent. I can only imagine their meetings."Hey guys this is the most hyped MMO ever, we're spending tons of cash, it's Star Wars, HEY let's use an engine and servers that can't even handle high res textures"

In short, why would you choose to use an engine that is going to give you so many problems ahead of time?? The only answers possible is that you did know and thus you're stupid, or you didn't know it would and thus incompetent. Either way it's bad.
post #4148 of 8091
This game will fail just like all the other WoW killers. Virtually entire MMO market consists of WoW fanbase which will never switch to another game except WoW - 2.
And vast majority of starwars nerds are in their 40's by now and have more important things to worry about than raiding 40 hours a week in front of their computers.
nV 3D Surround
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
intel core i7 2600K @4.6GHz Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 EVGA 480 GTX Zotac 480 GTX 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x4GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 @ 2133MHz OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops LG Xigmatek Dark Knight 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional 64 bits Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard Kingwin 1220 Watt Coolermaster HAF - X Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat RealTek 
  hide details  
Reply
nV 3D Surround
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
intel core i7 2600K @4.6GHz Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 EVGA 480 GTX Zotac 480 GTX 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x4GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 @ 2133MHz OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops LG Xigmatek Dark Knight 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Professional 64 bits Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard Kingwin 1220 Watt Coolermaster HAF - X Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat RealTek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4149 of 8091
Well I'm not going back to WoW that is 100% assured my friend. I'm considering canceling Star Wars until they get these graphics sorted out as well. Really wonderful how now they say it was intentional.

Hey why did you pump us full of screen shots of the game running in high res if you knew you had decided to not allow that in game Bioware? thumb.gif
post #4150 of 8091
My biggest beef w/ the game right now aside from some of the balancing (which obviously no one will ever get 100% perfect) is the ridiculous FPS warzone lag. Now I know the general reasoning behind ridiculous FPS fleet lag is because of the # of people (my server often times has 200-300+) but I don't really understand what makes warzones FPS lag this badly. There aren't that many character models to load and the WZs themselves are small. Voidstar is a little better but Ald and especially Hutball my FPS just plummets. This is also well documented on the BW forums across a number of different rigs. Not crying but am just trying to get a better explanation for the reason and hopefully there is a fix soon. OPvP sucks right now so WZs is all I've been (trying) to farm.

Thanks
Skylake + Pascal
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming G. Skill Trident Z 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M.2 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 144hz G-Sync Logitech G610 MX Red EVGA G2 750W Corsair Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
BenQ Zowie FK2 QcK+ Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Vali 1 
Audio
Schiit Modi 1 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake + Pascal
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming G. Skill Trident Z 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M.2 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 144hz G-Sync Logitech G610 MX Red EVGA G2 750W Corsair Air 240 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
BenQ Zowie FK2 QcK+ Sennheiser HD 650 Schiit Vali 1 
Audio
Schiit Modi 1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread!