Overclock.net banner

[ZDNet] Mozilla aims to play the OS game

3K views 41 replies 37 participants last post by  MemoryCage 
#1 ·
Quote:

Mozilla is plotting to join the operating system fray with an “open Web†twist.

The group outlined a project called Boot to Gecko (B2G) on its Wiki page:

Source

Sorta want..

See less See more
#3 ·
"The creators of the Firefox web browser have started developing an operating system for mobiles and tablets."
"Once finished the operating system will compete with Android as it will run on the same devices."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14289981

More choices for your Android phone.
yessir.gif

They want some of the action
smile.gif

#6 ·
ugh i hate it when these random companies try to put their nose into other people's businesses.
OS is for Microsoft and Apple.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

It'll require 3GB of RAM to boot to desktop. Running an application? Lets just not talk about that.

Its a mobile OS like Android. I am optimistic they can release something good, introduce more competition into the mobile OS space which is always a good thing for the consumer.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by james8
View Post

ugh i hate it when these random companies try to put their nose into other people's businesses.

There is absolutely NO facepalm in the world big enough to even remotely address this comment...You need a new hobby if that's what you believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjQurt
View Post

and what about linux?

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1Joeno1
View Post

Wow seriously, get off of the internet right now.

+10000000000x100000000000xInfinity.

#14 ·
Quote:

View Post

Same with browsers ... Everyone is an IE wanna be these days

#16 ·
I don't think they will make much of an impact, but if they can get some good cross platform web apps, I won't complain. However, I think trying to get an all online phone OS with data caps getting more and more common and stringent isn't the smartest idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty5569
View Post

Same with browsers ... Everyone is an IE wanna be these days

Everything is a Chrome wanna be these days. Look at IE 8->9 and FF 3->4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet
View Post

Mozilla says it will use some Android kernels for booting, but everything else is made in-house. I'm interested on how it develops a mobile OS.

Like Chrome OS for phones.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man
View Post

Everything is a Chrome wanna be these days. Look at IE 8->9 and FF 3->4.

Like Chrome OS for phones.

Opera much?

#18 ·
Has anyone else looked at the Mozilla app on Android? It's huge and wasteful. Give me my Opera any day of the week.

I don't hold high hopes for this project. While Firefox is my browser of choice on the PC, I won't go anywhere near the mobile version.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRK;14351089
Because Google Chrome OS is doing SO WELL. End sarcasm.
Chrome OS isn't doing good because Google had the stupid idea of letting Samsung et. al. make "boutique" Chromebooks with Intel Atom
lachen.gif
. Keys to success: AMD Fusion APU, 11.6", priced at $300-350- you know, since the OS is free, a bit cheaper than Windows netbooks. Maybe $400-450 with a 64gb SSD. And it'd be a wrap.

Why anyone would pay more for something with an Intel Atom w/GMA 3150 and Linux(more or less) on it is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james8;14353358
Guys, should I tell him? You know, how Apple took BSD code and built OSX off that?

#22 ·
Quote:

View Post

No, OS is for Operating System. But I digress, now please

#23 ·
Quote:

View Post

And around 60 other companies, past and present. Do you happen to own a large corporate entity by any chance? No consumer could possibly wish a duopoly on the world.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbroad77
View Post

Guys, should I tell him? You know, how Apple took BSD code and built OSX off that?

First direct him to http://distrowatch.com/ to let him know just how many operating systems with legit purposes exist other than OSX and Windows.

Then direct him to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X for how Apple took a whole bunch of freely-licensed code to build the Darwin Kernel, and what it's based off of etc.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by james8;14353358
It's that kind of thinking that's stifling innovation and competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.