Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TS] Industry veteran: LimeWire pirates were iTunes’ best customers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TS] Industry veteran: LimeWire pirates were iTunes’ best customers - Page 8  

post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Don't believe it. The end.
It just backs up the evidence already done by a Canadian government sponsored report in that the biggest pirates are also the biggest spenders.
post #72 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuya View Post
By some people's logic, just going on youtube and listening to the music would be considered pirating.

I'm not going to buy music if I can just listen to it on youtube.
Yes, enjoy that sub 96kbps mp3 (on 360p) / 128kbps AAC goodness (on 480p and above)....

reason I say sub is because of course if you use a lossy codec in the upload file, Youtube will retranscode it and lossy to lossy will always make inferior quality files. Youtube is horrible sound quality for most music.

That said (480p or above plz):


But that's due to the high dynamic range of the track and I uploaded it as a WAV file transcoded from FLAC.

This is one of the reasons why the Loudness War is happening..

You guys just don't give a **** about your sound quality



Edited by chinesekiwi - 7/27/11 at 9:03pm
post #73 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post
It's funny how people will discount any claims against piracy yet cheer lead any claims made for it.

Which ever side you champion, you are admitting that piracy does in fact effect sales figures so it wouldn't be a stretch to say that they adversely effect them as well.
But the actual sales data laughs at it. It's more a shift in buying patterns e.g. music singles vs. whole albums, digital vs, physical. There's plenty of data to back up this.
Edited by chinesekiwi - 7/27/11 at 9:03pm
post #74 of 108
The only reason why I pirate stuff is cuz I don't have access to the Money Required to purchase the product..
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie97 View Post
The only reason why I pirate stuff is cuz I don't have access to the Money Required to purchase the product..
Then you shouldn't get it. Plain and simple, you can't afford it, so why steal it? Some innocent worker is getting food taken off their plate because of your selfishness, little child.
Primary PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720 (2.8 ghz) BIOSTAR A780L3L (AM3) MSI GeForce 9800GT G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 (8GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 64GB / Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) Dell SP2309W (2048x1152) PC Power & Cooling 610W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 430 RC Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Primary PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720 (2.8 ghz) BIOSTAR A780L3L (AM3) MSI GeForce 9800GT G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 (8GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Crucial M4 64GB / Samsung F3 1TB Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) Dell SP2309W (2048x1152) PC Power & Cooling 610W 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 430 RC Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
post #76 of 108
How did this person verify that they actually went out and bought what they pirated? I mean I've pirated many songs but looking at my zune account. All of the ones I pirated I did not repurchase on zune. I just kept those and bought other ones.

Or like with games. I have over 100 games between PC, xbox 360 and ps3 and have been buying and playing games since I was 3ish now 22 (parents bought for me till I got a job at 16) So I've easily contributed more than the average American salary in just games alone. But I've pirated Age of empires 3 for months until MS had a sale for 10 cents for the game and all of its expansions via download. 10 cents isn't even enough to get someone to walk out the door of their house let alone make a game.

Then a great game like sins of a solar empire I've pirated and enjoy and still have the iso but yet I haven't lifted to a finger to go buy it. Why? For what I already have it. In the short run I have no incentive to buy what I have for free (I'm one of those people who can play against the computer and be content. In the long run the dev does not make money to put toward a new game. But I'm not worried about the future. I'm worried about now.
post #77 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post
Perhaps you missed the part where I put " Just my opinion."

Some of you guys get way too defensive. Gee, I wonder why. I just keep it honest. To be blunt, I think you're lying through your fingers when you say you go out an purchase what you download.
I do, this usually happens for games. I download it play for a few hours, if I like the game I buy it.

Although in Canada it is legal to download "pirated" software as long as its for personal use, and not for resale.
Green team
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom || 965 4.2Ghz Asus Crosshair Formula ||| 2 x 6970 Crossfired OCZ Platinum 4GB ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB Black Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus H242h Cougar GX1050 
CaseMouse
HAF 922 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Green team
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom || 965 4.2Ghz Asus Crosshair Formula ||| 2 x 6970 Crossfired OCZ Platinum 4GB ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 1TB Black Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Asus H242h Cougar GX1050 
CaseMouse
HAF 922 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gex81 View Post
How did this person verify that they actually went out and bought what they pirated? I mean I've pirated many songs but looking at my zune account. All of the ones I pirated I did not repurchase on zune. I just kept those and bought other ones.

Or like with games. I have over 100 games between PC, xbox 360 and ps3 and have been buying and playing games since I was 3ish now 22 (parents bought for me till I got a job at 16) So I've easily contributed more than the average American salary in just games alone. But I've pirated Age of empires 3 for months until MS had a sale for 10 cents for the game and all of its expansions via download. 10 cents isn't even enough to get someone to walk out the door of their house let alone make a game.

Then a great game like sins of a solar empire I've pirated and enjoy and still have the iso but yet I haven't lifted to a finger to go buy it. Why? For what I already have it. In the short run I have no incentive to buy what I have for free (I'm one of those people who can play against the computer and be content. In the long run the dev does not make money to put toward a new game. But I'm not worried about the future. I'm worried about now.
You Sir is someone I despise but I admire your frankness, it is true that some people pirate before they buy but that is an exremely small minority, the average joe will never buy what he just downloaded for free.

Now I completely understand that the biggest movie or music pirates also are some of the biggest buyers, they love their hobby so they spend a lot on it, but most of their collection is illegally obtained, and no amount you spend on other movies/song justify that you steal from another artist/studio/actors , just because you spent a lot on others.

Edit:

Quote:
Although in Canada it is legal to download "pirated" software as long as its for personal use, and not for resale.
I'm not Canadian but that seems very unlikely to me.
Edited by Telimektar - 7/27/11 at 10:14pm
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
post #79 of 108
Epic fail sums it up quite nicely
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel Core i7 5820K] {4.5GHz} [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [R9 290X Crossfire] {1205/1375} [Crucial DDR4] {16GB-2400MHz} 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Western Digital WD10EALS] [Samsung 840 Evo 250GB] [Western Digitan WD10EZEX] [Lite-On iHAS-524-B] 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
[Custom Loop - Twin 360mm Rads] [Windows 8.1 Pro x64] [Samsung Syncmaster BX2450] [Logitech G510] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[XFX Pro 1250] [CaseLabs Magnum M10] [Logitech G500] [GPGR Large] 
Audio
[Creative Sound Blaster Z] 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel Core i7 5820K] {4.5GHz} [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [R9 290X Crossfire] {1205/1375} [Crucial DDR4] {16GB-2400MHz} 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Western Digital WD10EALS] [Samsung 840 Evo 250GB] [Western Digitan WD10EZEX] [Lite-On iHAS-524-B] 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
[Custom Loop - Twin 360mm Rads] [Windows 8.1 Pro x64] [Samsung Syncmaster BX2450] [Logitech G510] 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[XFX Pro 1250] [CaseLabs Magnum M10] [Logitech G500] [GPGR Large] 
Audio
[Creative Sound Blaster Z] 
  hide details  
post #80 of 108
I know I spend more on music than any of my friends. I only go see movies at the $3 second run theater, and not a ton of those, but for music, I download an album, give it a full beginning to end listen through a time or two to see if I like it, and then if I do like it, I buy it and rip it as a FLAC for digital use and keep the CD in my rack of them. If I don't like it, sure there is a good chance I don't delete it. If I liked one song or something? Yeah I probably keep that song (which is often times a single) but I am not going to buy individual songs.

If I like an album well enough that it will get repeated replay, damn sure I care about the quality of it to go out and buy it. I spend a bit more than I did before I was able to do this because I'm never worried about wasting my money this way.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus M4A89GTD Pro Asus EAH5850 DirectCU 8GB (4x2GB) Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 1TB Western Digital Black Sony Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 ultimate Asus 24" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-8NWX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Asus M4A89GTD Pro Asus EAH5850 DirectCU 8GB (4x2GB) Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 1TB Western Digital Black Sony Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 ultimate Asus 24" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Lian-Li PC-8NWX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TS] Industry veteran: LimeWire pirates were iTunes’ best customers