Just a warning, the photos were taken with my Samsung Focus. So the quality is nother great. Sorry.
On Saturday I decided to come into work so I could install my watercooling. It was a very fun project and I highly recommend anyone who is even thinking about it, to just jump in and do it (after a decent amount of research of course
So this is what we started with for the case.
Then after I had run the computer on stock cooling for 2 weeks.
I stripped her down to her chassis to make things easier to work with. I really like how easy this case is to take apart. At this point I was tempted to remove all the components and do some painting but I knew if I was going to have this thing up and running by Monday, I wouldn't have time to paint.
The extra parts were then tossed aside.
Here is the half assed wiring I had thrown together before just to get it up and running. This was definitely going to change.
I then removed the stock CPU heat sink. The stock thermal paste seems to suck.
After cleaning it all up.
This photo is terrible but it shows my pump/res combo mounted backwards in the 5.25" bay.
Then I took apart my GTX 580. This was very tedious as it had a ton of screws. Here it is already cleaned and prepped to get the block put on.
All of the screws that came out of the GPU.
The water block was fitted.
Then came the beautiful back plate.
I decided to flush the radiators and get them into location. Sorry I don't have any photos of them mounted in location except for finished photos. One thing I had problems with was the Phobya mounting plate and the stock 200mm fan. I ended up bending 1 of the bolts that Phobya gives you. Also they were too skinny so the fan wouldn't be tightened down to the case. I just did a temporary fix and used zipties to sort of safety wire the screw heads together to help stop them from wanting to walk themselves through the rubber grommets. I am going to get proper hardware in the coming days.
Next I put on the CPU block. I think I may redo the block and turn it so the inlets are vertical of each other. With my pump placement this might make it look cleaner and then I can run shorter hosing.
Running short on time on Saturday, I quickly got my lovely BitsPower fittings and plumbed everything. Then I filled it up and started the leak test to be left overnight till I returned Sunday morning. ( I know most frown upon colored coolants but I don't care. I fully plan on doing regular maintenance on this every 6 months.)
I came in super early Sunday morning out of excitement. Everything was perfect with no leaks at all. So I put the case back on and wired everything up. I was nervous for the initial boot like I always am after I do any sort of work on my computers. Everything booted fine and I breathed a sigh of relief.
As soon as Windows loaded I opened up HWMonitor to see what kind of temps my new watercooling was giving me. I was surprised as the idle temps were around 60-65. Luckily I thought to check my pump and to my surprise the molex plug for the pump came unplugged when I put my side cover back on. As soon as I plugged it back in, my temps cooled down to 35-40 at idle.
I started overclocking Sunday afternoon. After struggling a bit trying to reach 4.5ghz I just backed it down to 4.0ghz and I am currently running Prime95 on it as we speak. I am going to slowly work my way up to 4.5ghz. But I am pretty happy with it over all. This is my first Intel experience so it's a different language.
Here are the finished pictures.
Up next is some top panel modding to remove the fan controller to be replaced with a fill port and some changes to the current case lighting.