Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [In] 8 Core Bulldozer Price Same As Sandy Bridge 2600K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[In] 8 Core Bulldozer Price Same As Sandy Bridge 2600K - Page 8

post #71 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post
Ah I see, you edited your post.

How is it not verified conclusively? Please give me some more input so I may make my test more conclusive. Remember that graphics card utilization is very tightly tied to FPS.
Show me an x6 pushing significantly more FPS than an x4. Simple. All you showed was that the additional cores were used - not that that actually had any signigicant outcome on FPS.

Anyways, that's largely irrelevant to my original point. It's one game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post
He is referencing games that USE MORE CORES, but he says they don't see performance gains after three.

That means, they use more than 3 cores, but you can disable all but 3 and the performance will be the same.

THIS IS TRUE, unless you have a graphics card pumping out enough frames to warrant use of the remainder of cores.

Please actually read my thread, and comment if you'd like me to try something else.
Nope, why does the game have to utilize multiple cores? You're stretching an obvious meaning to suit your thread and argument. Change the word "with" in his statement to "will" and it's easy to understand; I think he simply used the wrong word there and your understanding was thrown off as such. Either way, your reply was largely irrelevant in any case as you've shown one example, and passed it off as proof of a so-called "misconception" that is in fact a completely true statement.

So please prove to me how it is a misconception that the majority of games will not see performance increases from 1-3 cores vs 4+ cores.
Edited by Iceman23 - 7/28/11 at 12:23pm
post #72 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDillon View Post
but is this stating that its 8 BD cores or 8 physical cores (4BD cores)?
What?

8 BD cores are 8 physical cores, I think you're confusing it with hyperthreading! lol
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Purpleannex
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68 Extreme4gen3 Gainward GTX 470 @ 740Mhz 8GB Mushkin Blackline LV (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz 9... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB Crucial M225 SSD 2 x 500gb 500GbB samsung 500GbB samsung Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD Combo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 64-bit LG W2486L LED 24" 1080p Antech True power new 750W FT-02 B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 414
Usually pricing is indicative of performance, meaning at best we can expect it to perform roughly the same. That of course would not be a bad thing by any means.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex View Post
What?

8 BD cores are 8 physical cores, I think you're confusing it with hyperthreading! lol
no im not confused, A bulldozer core is made of of two cores(better than hyperthreading) therefore to counts 8 cores, is it 4 pairs of these or 8 of these pair of bulldozer cores?!
post #75 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnelitsep View Post
How do you figure? Intel has ruled gaming since 2006 when the C2D was released.
I disagree, in fact phenom II's will often match or outperform even the early I 7's in games at high resolutions. Low resolutions the Intel's will get better fps, but things are about even between them when you crank up the res to 1900 x 1200 ( which is where I like to be )
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDillon View Post
no im not confused, A bulldozer core is made of of two cores(better than hyperthreading) therefore to counts 8 cores, is it 4 pairs of these or 8 of these pair of bulldozer cores?!
This is an 8-core, 8-thread CPU. You're talking about a BD module, which is made up of two cores. Modules will never be mentioned by people other than AMD engineers. This has been stated before by JF-AMD.
post #77 of 414
thank you, thats what I needed to know. this is gonna probably kill a majority of 2600k buyers for sure lol
post #78 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiDillon View Post
no im not confused, A bulldozer core is made of of two cores(better than hyperthreading) therefore to counts 8 cores, is it 4 pairs of these or 8 of these pair of bulldozer cores?!
No.
post #79 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23 View Post
Show me an x6 pushing significantly more FPS than an x4. Simple. All you showed was that the additional cores were used - not that that actually had any signigicant outcome on FPS.

Anyways, that's largely irrelevant to my original point. It's one game.
If you read that thread I posted, I showed you how much GPU utilization there was at each core setting, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, when there is a CPU bottleneck present.

Your right, that is only one game I showed. I did not do tests for all the games in my library, because that would take hours out of my already short free time. Showed that BFBC2 utilizes more than 3 cores for added performance when there is a CPU bottleneck. I listed two others as well that I goofed with, but didn't document.

All I'm saying is; if there are 6 threads generated that need to be calculated, and they can all be done in 1 clock cycle instead of 2, you'd be crazy to think that it wouldn't allow better performance.

Quote:
Nope, why does the game have to utilize multiple cores? You're stretching an obvious meaning to suit your thread and argument. Change the word "with" in his statement to "will" and it's easy to understand; I think he simply used the wrong word there and your understanding was thrown off as such.
Because that's what he said. That's what I was conversing with him about, or trying to anyway. The way it was phrased seemed like it was referencing the bit-tech article, which is fairly popular, and wrong.

EDIT:
Just for the record, I'm not trying to argue that my X6 is going to win any performance crowns just because it has 6 cores. All I'm trying to point out is that if a game can fully utilize 6 cores, you are going to see a gain over 4 of those same cores.
Edited by SectorNine50 - 7/28/11 at 12:40pm
Perpetual Upgrade
(17 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z97M Gaming Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Swiftech Apogee Black Ice GT Stealth 240 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Windows 10 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS 
Case
Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual Upgrade
(17 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z97M Gaming Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Swiftech Apogee Black Ice GT Stealth 240 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Windows 10 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS 
Case
Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoDared View Post
Competition is always good, but I still feel that AMD should work on getting more performance per cores, rather than just smacking more cores onto each new chip IMO.
Rule of business: Save the best for last. AMD are being conservative with core performance.

Even JF said they could make a CPU more powerful than anything intel has, followed by "You couldn't afford it"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [In] 8 Core Bulldozer Price Same As Sandy Bridge 2600K