New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beginner Linux - Page 3

post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nburnes View Post
Then install steam in wine.
Not all Steam games work that well in WINE. But yes, CSS is one of the few Windows games that work well under WINE
#well
(19 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H XFX Radeon HD 6950 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Dell U2711 LG W2453 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850 Antec Three Hundred Corsair Raptor M40 QPAD HeatoN M 
AudioAudioAudio
E-MU Tracker|pre Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm AntLion ModMIc 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
#well
(19 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H XFX Radeon HD 6950 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Dell U2711 LG W2453 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850 Antec Three Hundred Corsair Raptor M40 QPAD HeatoN M 
AudioAudioAudio
E-MU Tracker|pre Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm AntLion ModMIc 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo2 View Post
Ubuntu or Mint. I personally prefer Mint 11 as it's also very easy to use and I don't like the new ubuntu look.
Agreed. Although I give Mint the edge for the new beginner user. Why? Because it comes with the drivers you need, the codecs you want, and everything is in the familiar windows-like location. Also, it looks really nice, even by default.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE HSF Z9H741K011 EVGA 680i SLI 2x NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 (SLI) 4x WM552/XG691 HYNIX 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x SEAGATE HDD 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB (Raid0) LG 20X DUAL-LAYER DVD RE-WRITER NON-LIG XP-MCE/Mint 11 KDE 50 inch Samsung DLP HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless BT 7000 1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU FULL-TOWER BLUE CASE 2.0B MS Wireless Laser BT 8000 
Mouse Pad
Alienware Big Head 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE HSF Z9H741K011 EVGA 680i SLI 2x NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 (SLI) 4x WM552/XG691 HYNIX 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x SEAGATE HDD 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB (Raid0) LG 20X DUAL-LAYER DVD RE-WRITER NON-LIG XP-MCE/Mint 11 KDE 50 inch Samsung DLP HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless BT 7000 1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU FULL-TOWER BLUE CASE 2.0B MS Wireless Laser BT 8000 
Mouse Pad
Alienware Big Head 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 54
Try openSUSE KDE.

Treat the program YasT as window's control panel, you are good to go.
I can't express enough how ubuntu isn't a good idea. it's not stable. It treats you like an idiot, that's why some people think it's user-friendly. It uses gnome by default, which treats you not like an idiot but a complete retarded. They change too much stuff. It's unstable (again). And... meh...
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduFurtado View Post
Try openSUSE KDE.

Treat the program YasT as window's control panel, you are good to go.
I can't express enough how ubuntu isn't a good idea. it's not stable. It treats you like an idiot, that's why some people think it's user-friendly. It uses gnome by default, which treats you not like an idiot but a complete retarded. They change too much stuff. It's unstable (again). And... meh...
ugh -.-

suse is alright, its a well put together and polished distro, but the package manager is INCREDIBLY slow and i could never even stand using the distro :/

there are better alternatives by far, than suse
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post
I feel Ubuntu is a very beginner friendly Linux distro.
this
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduFurtado View Post
Try openSUSE KDE.

Treat the program YasT as window's control panel, you are good to go.
I can't express enough how ubuntu isn't a good idea. it's not stable. It treats you like an idiot, that's why some people think it's user-friendly. It uses gnome by default, which treats you not like an idiot but a complete retarded. They change too much stuff. It's unstable (again). And... meh...
I guess its been a while since you touched Gnome3? Updates have helped vastly. I still think LXDE, XFCE, KDE, and especially Openbox are better, but fixes in Linux don't roll out as slow as Windows lol. Unity however... is still a big letdown.

For the OP, who is a beginner, let me break it down for you Barney the Dinosaur/Microsoft style. Almost every version of Linux out there is able to be customised completely. This includes the Desktop Environment/Window Manager (Known as a DE or WM, sometimes referred to DE/WM). The DE determines how windows are managed. This is important because it also sets how much memory and processing power is used to accomplish the same task. For example, Opening a File has to be done inside a window. Weather it is Firefox, a Photo, or a Text document, it has to be accomplished though a usable way, which is onscreen, inside a window. The pretty DE are stuff that may remind you of how Windows7 uses the Aeroglass theme, which looks nice, but uses a LOT more resources to accomplish the same thing as, say, the old Windows98 look. This is comparable to KDE (resource heavy, pretty) versus LXDE, XFCE or Openbox (light to ultralight weight on resources, more basic looking). Obviously the DE that requires the least from your computer is going to be faster than the one that requires graphical rendering and such. Now the reason why Gnome is a popular DE is because it is the middle ground. It looks better than a Light Weight DE, but uses less resources than a Heavy Weight DE. Its just as customizable as any other DE, but because of its popularity gives it access to many more pre-made themes. Part of the argument between Gnome2 and Gnome3 is the same argument Windows users have heard for a while now, and is the same as "whats better WinXP or Win7?" You have to make the choice for yourself on what DE you want. Yes, nearly every Linux Distribution (known as a distro, or spin) comes with one of the more well known DEs out there. And yes, no matter what DE it comes with can be changed to any other one out there, and will allow you to change back to what ever DE you had. Many distros, such as Fedora 15, will have a dropdown menu allowing you to chose your DE upon login. I have LXDE, Openbox, Gnome3, and KDE4 on my Fedora 15 and frequently swap between them. Also, if you know what DE you want, you can get the distro you want already set to default to the DE you want. Linux Mint and Fedora both have this option when downloading them. Ubuntu has this as well, but on separate sites and names them differently. For example: Xubuntu comes with XFCE, Lubuntu uses LXDE, and Kubuntu uses KDE. The standard Ubuntu comes with Gnome and Unity. My recommendation for a new Linux user is Mint. This way you have all the codecs needed for MP3s and such, as well as the drivers for wireless and your videocard. It also comes preinstalled with a lot of software. Add in the fact that the button locations are the same as windows, and you have the smoothest transition.

Now, for you non-newb Linux users who just read this, don't go getting your panties in a wad. I left things out on purpose, as to not confuse or intimidate anyone who is new. Yes ARCH is GOD. Shuttupaboutit.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE HSF Z9H741K011 EVGA 680i SLI 2x NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 (SLI) 4x WM552/XG691 HYNIX 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x SEAGATE HDD 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB (Raid0) LG 20X DUAL-LAYER DVD RE-WRITER NON-LIG XP-MCE/Mint 11 KDE 50 inch Samsung DLP HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless BT 7000 1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU FULL-TOWER BLUE CASE 2.0B MS Wireless Laser BT 8000 
Mouse Pad
Alienware Big Head 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE HSF Z9H741K011 EVGA 680i SLI 2x NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB PCI-E REV 1 (SLI) 4x WM552/XG691 HYNIX 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x SEAGATE HDD 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB (Raid0) LG 20X DUAL-LAYER DVD RE-WRITER NON-LIG XP-MCE/Mint 11 KDE 50 inch Samsung DLP HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Wireless BT 7000 1 KILOWATT OEM ATX PSU FULL-TOWER BLUE CASE 2.0B MS Wireless Laser BT 8000 
Mouse Pad
Alienware Big Head 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidMonkey View Post
I guess its been a while since you touched Gnome3? Updates have helped vastly. I still think LXDE, XFCE, KDE, and especially Openbox are better, but fixes in Linux don't roll out as slow as Windows lol. Unity however... is still a big letdown.

For the OP, who is a beginner, let me break it down for you Barney the Dinosaur/Microsoft style. Almost every version of Linux out there is able to be customised completely. This includes the Desktop Environment/Window Manager (Known as a DE or WM, sometimes referred to DE/WM). The DE determines how windows are managed. This is important because it also sets how much memory and processing power is used to accomplish the same task. For example, Opening a File has to be done inside a window. Weather it is Firefox, a Photo, or a Text document, it has to be accomplished though a usable way, which is onscreen, inside a window. The pretty DE are stuff that may remind you of how Windows7 uses the Aeroglass theme, which looks nice, but uses a LOT more resources to accomplish the same thing as, say, the old Windows98 look. This is comparable to KDE (resource heavy, pretty) versus LXDE, XFCE or Openbox (light to ultralight weight on resources, more basic looking). Obviously the DE that requires the least from your computer is going to be faster than the one that requires graphical rendering and such. Now the reason why Gnome is a popular DE is because it is the middle ground. It looks better than a Light Weight DE, but uses less resources than a Heavy Weight DE. Its just as customizable as any other DE, but because of its popularity gives it access to many more pre-made themes. Part of the argument between Gnome2 and Gnome3 is the same argument Windows users have heard for a while now, and is the same as "whats better WinXP or Win7?" You have to make the choice for yourself on what DE you want. Yes, nearly every Linux Distribution (known as a distro, or spin) comes with one of the more well known DEs out there. And yes, no matter what DE it comes with can be changed to any other one out there, and will allow you to change back to what ever DE you had. Many distros, such as Fedora 15, will have a dropdown menu allowing you to chose your DE upon login. I have LXDE, Openbox, Gnome3, and KDE4 on my Fedora 15 and frequently swap between them. Also, if you know what DE you want, you can get the distro you want already set to default to the DE you want. Linux Mint and Fedora both have this option when downloading them. Ubuntu has this as well, but on separate sites and names them differently. For example: Xubuntu comes with XFCE, Lubuntu uses LXDE, and Kubuntu uses KDE. The standard Ubuntu comes with Gnome and Unity. My recommendation for a new Linux user is Mint. This way you have all the codecs needed for MP3s and such, as well as the drivers for wireless and your videocard. It also comes preinstalled with a lot of software. Add in the fact that the button locations are the same as windows, and you have the smoothest transition.

Now, for you non-newb Linux users who just read this, don't go getting your panties in a wad. I left things out on purpose, as to not confuse or intimidate anyone who is new. Yes ARCH is GOD. Shuttupaboutit.

They always say that about gnome, it has improved greatly, and bla bla bla. But every time I try it, making an effort to like it, I don't. Maybe it's me who is too used to KDE.


OP, read what this guy said. Very well said in a way any beginner can understand.
If I don't like gnome it's because I can't customize it as much or as easy as KDE or others that I'm found of (like the dead and cool E17 ).
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonX View Post
But yes, CSS is one of the few Windows games that work well under WINE
I beg to differ
6.8/10 games work for me
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
OoGhiJ MIQtxxXA
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q9550 E0 @3.825ghz Abit IX48-GT3 Tigerforce SPARKLE GTX470 850c/1800m 220 650c sli later 4GB DDR3 Mushkin blackline 7-8-7-24-1T 1200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD1tb +WD500gb +WD200gb not like I need one edge linux LG 22" w2240 +optiquest q71 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135B Mechanical DELTA GPS-750B A 750w sleeved moded Kandalf LCS Razer Mamba 
Mouse Pad
don't got one or need one 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 54
For a newbie, I would say Mint. It is ubuntu that is made even easier to use.
 
Gsvlip Dudyrm
(15 items)
 
Oda'maksv
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k @ 4.5 1.312 load Zotac Z77 ITX Wifi GTX 1070 Gaming 2126/2249 w/ Hybrid cooler TridentX 16GB 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Seagate 2TB H105 EVGA Hybrid GPU cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus MG279Q - 24" 144Hz 1080p Filco Majestic II w/ Cherry Reds Seasonic X 760W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Bitfelix Prodigy Logitech G400 Razer Goliath AKG A701 
AudioAudio
JDS Labs Objective 2 JDS Labs ODAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 3.99 (190x21) 1.376v Load ASUS P7P55d-E Pro GTX 670 FTW <- Poor overclocker :( 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 Evo 128GB 2x 2TB  Some DVD drive OSX 10.10.4 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Asus 1080P Crap TX 750 HAF 922 G400s 
Mouse PadOther
Apple Keyboard Xbox One controler 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
C2D 2,26GHz under volted @ .978v 8GB  Crucial M4 64GB SSD 500GB Scorpio Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
OS X 10.0 1280x800 Built-in Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gsvlip Dudyrm
(15 items)
 
Oda'maksv
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k @ 4.5 1.312 load Zotac Z77 ITX Wifi GTX 1070 Gaming 2126/2249 w/ Hybrid cooler TridentX 16GB 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB Seagate 2TB H105 EVGA Hybrid GPU cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Asus MG279Q - 24" 144Hz 1080p Filco Majestic II w/ Cherry Reds Seasonic X 760W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Bitfelix Prodigy Logitech G400 Razer Goliath AKG A701 
AudioAudio
JDS Labs Objective 2 JDS Labs ODAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 3.99 (190x21) 1.376v Load ASUS P7P55d-E Pro GTX 670 FTW <- Poor overclocker :( 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Samsung 830 Evo 128GB 2x 2TB  Some DVD drive OSX 10.10.4 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Asus 1080P Crap TX 750 HAF 922 G400s 
Mouse PadOther
Apple Keyboard Xbox One controler 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
C2D 2,26GHz under volted @ .978v 8GB  Crucial M4 64GB SSD 500GB Scorpio Black 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
OS X 10.0 1280x800 Built-in Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 54
I honestly don't agree with the whole pick up Linux Mint or Ubuntu if you're a "noob". They kind of are the "Windows of the Linux World". I mean, where is the challenge and learning in that? They are both linux based obviously, but you really can't go all out gungho on your OS on your machine. Tinkering in OSes like them usually get pretty screwy somewhere along the line sadly.

I really do recommend Arch if you are serious about learning something in Linux. Just even reading through the wiki or beginners guide literally filled me with more information then over a year or two of using *buntus. Even if you don't choose to install, the vastness of information on that site is just nuts.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (4 cores unlock) @ 3.29GHz Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H Galaxy GTX 460 4GB DDR2 Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 250GB Seagate and 1 external 160 GB Seagate LG Super-multidrive Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64/Windows 7 x64 22" ViewSonic 1080p Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Keyboard Y-RC14 Rosewill Performance RP550-2 @ 550w Coolermaster Centurion 531 Logitech MX700 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (4 cores unlock) @ 3.29GHz Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H Galaxy GTX 460 4GB DDR2 Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 250GB Seagate and 1 external 160 GB Seagate LG Super-multidrive Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64/Windows 7 x64 22" ViewSonic 1080p Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Keyboard Y-RC14 Rosewill Performance RP550-2 @ 550w Coolermaster Centurion 531 Logitech MX700 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix