Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FOB] New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FOB] New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism - Page 6

post #51 of 327
I'm not taking a side on any of this but if we think 100 years of industry has anything to do with the the climate of a 4.5 billion old planet the we are doomed.

We are nothing but a blip of horse crap on Earth. Hell we're even a blip of crap compared to the dinosaurs.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I picked this up from another forum:



Trying to play games like this - making legitimate-sounding journals that are similar in name to actual journals but have no real scientific review - is a common tactic among people who are trying to promote some form of BS. And they try to make it sound more prestigious by implying a connection with a research university that apparently doesn't exist.

There are all sorts of BS red flags going on here. You might want to stop patting yourself on the back about how smart you are for denying global warming on this one.
I KNEW it! University of Alabama....how silly. There are no schools in Alabama . How could we be so easily fooled?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
I'm not taking a side on any of this but if we think 100 years of industry has anything to do with the the climate of a 4.5 billion old planet the we are doomed.
What makes you think it can't have anything to do with the climate? It sounds like you have made up your mind before you've heard anything. We really are doomed if more people adopt this mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
We are nothing but a blip of horse crap on Earth. Hell we're even a blip of crap compared to the dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs didn't build aircraft carriers either. I don't get how us being just a "blip of horse crap on Earth" has anything to do with global warming.
Edited by Vegetables - 7/28/11 at 2:47pm
post #53 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
I'm not taking a side on any of this but if we think 100 years of industry has anything to do with the the climate of a 4.5 billion old planet the we are doomed.
That's a strawman argument - not to say it doesn't have merit. The truth is that in the grand scheme of things, this probably isn't a big deal. Life will still flourish, time will still pass, and the Earth will still be the third rock from the sun. For us though, the emissions of greenhouse gases and the resulting sea level rises will affect millions of people. It's all about perspective.
post #54 of 327
It's all Jesus' fault, I swear!


But we all know this isn't the last word. Not to mention a decade's worth of data might not be enough to be conclusive for either argument. When we've had satellite data for 1000 years we can talk about our observance of humanity's impact.

Are we doing damage? sure
Are we responsible for planetary changes that have been going on for hundreds of millions of years? probably not

So why don't we just work to reduce the damage without freaking out about it and dumping money into what has become more of a political positioning point than an actual effort of civilization?

People viewing this topic: 41
Nytehawk Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 3.8GHz P6X58D Premium EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI 9GB Patriot Viper 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120gb Phoenix Pro SSD//640gb WD Black//1tb F1 Plextor DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 3x Acer 22" portrait 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 White Antec TPQ 1200W NZXT Phantom White Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Nytehawk Redux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 3.8GHz P6X58D Premium EVGA GTX 580 3GB SLI 9GB Patriot Viper 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120gb Phoenix Pro SSD//640gb WD Black//1tb F1 Plextor DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 3x Acer 22" portrait 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 White Antec TPQ 1200W NZXT Phantom White Razer Deathadder 3.5g 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Those damn scientists, always resorting to a consensus amongst the experts on an issue. They should know that real men think from the gut.
There's whole "climate science" and environment professions now. Degrees and entire industries built on man-made global warming existing. What do you think scientists are about to do - declare their entire profession worthless? And be scorned everywhere? Rather, they'd prefer to constantly find new "evidence" that supports their profession, and makes it all the more valuable. The "climate science conspiracy" is far greater than the "oil industry conspiracy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
What term do you feel would be appropriate other than denier? "Skeptic" doesn't fit - skeptics evaluate the evidence and change their stance to fit them, and clearly there are a whole lot of people for which no amount of evidence is going to change their mind.
The same could be said about climate scientists. Would you, a religious leader, say that religion doesn't exist? Climate scientists depend on global warming existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Pointing to the consensus of experts is not an argumentum ad populum. By that logic, you could say the germ theory of disease being accepted by pretty much all doctors is an argumentum ad populum.
Uh, sorry, but pointing to a scientific consensus as scientific evidence is like pointing to a poll of UFO-crazies who believe UFO's exist. Your germ theory example fails. Doctors accept germ theory because of scientific evidence, not because "all other doctors believe it is true". Global warming's entire standing is based on an "overwhelming majority" of scientists believing in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I think you envision yourself as the knowledgable few bravely defending against this vast conspiracy of climate scientists - who are conspiring for what reason again? But this doesn't make sense. Most people don't believe in global warming, so scientists advocating the position are working against mainstream thought. Certainly when the first pieces of evidence were coming in, it wasn't on anyone's mind at the time.

There has been no "shutting up of challengers" - as with this study, anyone can still release papers critical of global warming, it's just a matter of whether they're credible enough to have sway with the experts.

What is it that you think they're afraid of? Please, explain this vast conspiracy to me.
I think my above comments were sufficient. However, there are cases where scientists have been fired for being skeptical of global warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk View Post
So why don't we just work to reduce the damage without freaking out about it and dumping money into what has become more of a political positioning point than an actual effort of civilization?
It would be far better to develop the world's economy, completely ignoring global warming. If there really is evidence of human activity 30 years down the line, the world will be rich enough to deal with it. As it is, we're economically crushing even developing countries due to this iffy issue.
Edited by Beric - 7/28/11 at 2:54pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V PRO Galaxy GTX 680 GC 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM  Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro BenQ G2400W 1920x1200 Corsair CMPSU-750TX HAF 922 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Asus Xonar DX Audio-Technica AD900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V PRO Galaxy GTX 680 GC 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM  Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Pro BenQ G2400W 1920x1200 Corsair CMPSU-750TX HAF 922 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Asus Xonar DX Audio-Technica AD900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 327
I believe that there is global warming; I don't believe that humans are the cause of it. There are a lot of errant conclusions being drawn from data, and I flat out refuse to buy into hysteria. Argue whatever you want, but I'll believe the sky is falling when I see it. I'm continually astounded by humanity's propensity to crave drama.
Finally...
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4930k @4.4GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB 2TB WD Black ASUS Blu-ray combo, LiteOn dvdrw MCR320 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCR320 MCP655 Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel plated EK Multi-Option 150 Res 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 HP 32q Logitech G19 & Logitech G13 EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Razer Mamba Razer Destructor Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally...
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4930k @4.4GHz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB 2TB WD Black ASUS Blu-ray combo, LiteOn dvdrw MCR320 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCR320 MCP655 Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel plated EK Multi-Option 150 Res 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 10 HP 32q Logitech G19 & Logitech G13 EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Razer Mamba Razer Destructor Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 327
No wonder the US gov cut NASA's funding.
post #58 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR1760 View Post
it doesn't really matter, the same actions to change human activity have to be taken to stop other consequences.
Spoken like a true tyrant. Who the hell are you (or anyone else for that matter) to decide we need to "change human activity"???
post #59 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beric View Post
There's whole "climate science" and environment professions now. Degrees and entire industries built on man-made global warming existing. What do you think scientists are about to do - declare their entire profession worthless? And be scorned everywhere? Rather, they'd prefer to constantly find new "evidence" that supports their profession, and makes it all the more valuable. The "climate science conspiracy" is far greater than the "oil industry conspiracy".
This is all silly. We can agree that the scientific study of climate didn't just pop out of nowhere recently, right? That there have been scientists that study the climate for decades. It's not as if someone decided one day "I'm going to get a hundred people together, create this 'climate science' field, and then make up global warming so people give us money"

And yes - if AGW doesn't exist, they'd declare it. The scientific method is about finding facts, not preserving your own job. In the 1800s, there were physicists who based their understanding of electromagnetic propogation based on the aether. When someone proved that the aether didn't exist, did the physicists kill the guy and then continue on like nothing had happened to save their jobs and avoid scorn?

When has modern science ever deliberated pushed something known to be wrong to remain the scientific consensus through conspiracy? When has this ever happened?

Quote:
Uh, sorry, but pointing to a scientific consensus as scientific evidence is like pointing to a poll of UFO-crazies who believe UFO's exist.
Er, except that those people are the experts at their field. They'd be the best qualified to know what is or isn't true, what has the most evidence behind it, etc. Climate scientists that support global warming have done so through years of study and examining of the evidence. It's no way analogous to UFO nuts.

Quote:
Your germ theory example fails. Doctors accept germ theory because of scientific evidence, not because "all other doctors believe it is true". Global warming's entire standing is based on an "overwhelming majority" of scientists believing in it.
What? Climate scientsts accept climate (the vast majority of them anyway) because of the evidence, the same way that doctors accept the germ theory of disease. Do you think these guys are getting post-grad degrees in various sciences and then being told "ok, this is what other scientists believe.. Shh, don't look at the evidence yourself just because this is your field of expertise, just go with the flow"

Out of curiosity, do you believe in other conspiracy theories? Moon landing hoaxes, 9/11 was an inside job, etc.?
Edited by SenorBeef - 7/28/11 at 3:08pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 Extreme4 p67 1070 Gaming X 4x4 ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
850 EVO, 6TB Hitach/WD Xigmatek Aegir Win7 Shimian 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP650 HAF 922 G400s (RIP 518) Puretrak Stealth 
Audio
Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 Extreme4 p67 1070 Gaming X 4x4 ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
850 EVO, 6TB Hitach/WD Xigmatek Aegir Win7 Shimian 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP650 HAF 922 G400s (RIP 518) Puretrak Stealth 
Audio
Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Spoken like a true tyrant. Who the hell are you (or anyone else for that matter) to decide we need to "change human activity"???
That may have been a slight overreaction to what he was saying...
Perpetual Upgrade
(17 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z97M Gaming Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Swiftech Apogee Black Ice GT Stealth 240 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Windows 10 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS 
Case
Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual Upgrade
(17 items)
 
Server
(17 items)
 
Galago UltraPro
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K MSI Z97M Gaming Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
128GB Crucial M4 (2x) 500GB RAID 0 Swiftech Apogee Black Ice GT Stealth 240 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Corsair K70 Vengence Seasonic X650 Aerocool DS Cube 
MouseAudio
Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 MSI 870A-G54 nVidia 8400GS (2x2GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
(2x4GB) Patriot DDR3-1600 (3x) 320GB RAID 5 (1x) 1TB Backup Storage Coolermaster TX3 
OSPowerOther
Proxmox Hypervisor Antec TruePower 430W HP Smart Array P400 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-4750HQ Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200  (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 90GB Intel mSATA SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
500GB 5400RPM HDD Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Windows 10 14" 1080p ColorPro IPS 
Case
Galago UltraPro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [FOB] New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism