Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Just some games for Linux.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just some games for Linux. - Page 3

post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
troll less please

arrogance comes from ignorance, most linux users that knock windows still use both on a daily basis, most windows users that knock linux maybe used linux for a month several years ago and had a bad time because they couldnt figure out how to use a command line
If we own these games (quake,etc) through Steam can we download the Linux version legally from somewhere? (without using Steam which would require Wine)
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapengu View Post
What is the point? Half of these games all run on the cube engine. There is hardly an advantage of running linux instead of windows.

The only reason i can think of to run linux is on older PC's that cant handle newer Operating Systems and Programs.
Greetz
I'm going to assume you actually think this is true and not trolling. So..o.o.o

Did you know.....?

1) Linux can be substantially more secure on all levels.

2) Freedom from Spyware affects all levels of function, including games. Less wasted time in maintenance means more time actually gaming.

3) Linux runs many games better

A) Online - Linux's TCP/IP stack is vastly superior to XP's (still the most common desktop OpSys) and considerably superior to Win7's. Example: Even with the added layer of Wine I get an average of 106ms latency on Win7 Ult 64 but only ~50ms with Linux in WoW. With native the difference is nothing short of compelling.

B) Software - Linux, being Open Source, including native game configuration is fully available to the use for tweaking and optimization. We don't even need to mention The Registry (and Linux's lack of any such monstrosity), do we?

C) Hardware - Microsoft forbids not only you and I from access to the kernel but also other Corporations such as in those that need to make drivers. Not too long ago reviewers stated that they considered nVidia's Linux driver to be superior to their Windows driver probably because of unlimited access.

OTOH all drivers and hardware can benefit from Linux's ability to reduce not only network latency but ALL latency such as the time between you hitting a key or mouse button and the time it actually causes action. In Windows that is commonly in excess of 19msec whereas a "stock" Linux kernel does the same action in less than 10msec. A low latency, realtime kernel, which can be built by anyone or simply downloaded and installed as a menued option, can edge 1msec !!!

Believe me you can feel this! It can be a huge edge against other players who are constrained by essentially reacting to the past. I'm swimming in water...you're swimming in syrup.

3) There is actually much more, but I have to ask you, isn't that enough?
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Pat__ View Post
If we own these games (quake,etc) through Steam can we download the Linux version legally from somewhere? (without using Steam which would require Wine)
yes you will need data from steam however, so if you have it installed on a different partition such as a windows partition, you can copy over the .pak or .pk3 files

the installer itself will install the engine, the executable file to run the game, and do all the nitty gritty, id software engines are (for the most part) open source and freely distributable, the game content however is not and thats why you will need your .pak or .pk3 files

quake3 and up all have really nice installers, games before that may require you to compile them however
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
yes you will need data from steam however, so if you have it installed on a different partition such as a windows partition, you can copy over the .pak or .pk3 files

the installer itself will install the engine, the executable file to run the game, and do all the nitty gritty, id software engines are (for the most part) open source and freely distributable, the game content however is not and thats why you will need your .pak or .pk3 files

quake3 and up all have really nice installers, games before that may require you to compile them however
Awesome! Thank you for the great info
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Lala
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-750 @ 3.00GHz Intel DP55WB Sapphire HD 5870 @ 950/1200 1.212V Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333.3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black, 1TB WD Green Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung P2370H Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 
Case
Thermaltake M9 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 83
I've never played it but apparently there's but a lot of talk about HoN on GNU/Linux.

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/download.php
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
2) Freedom from Spyware affects all levels of function, including games. Less wasted time in maintenance means more time actually gaming.
To be fair, that's only security through obscurity. There's nothing in the Linux architecture than prevents people from installing "helper" apps that serve up advertising and send user data to ad companies, aside from not being user friendly enough for the idiots that usually install spyware. Windows is just as safe from spyware as Linux. Windows on my PC is just as free from spyware as Arch on my laptop, and has been for the past 4 years.




Oh, and TC:E is a great game. I only stopped played it when CoD4 came out, but its still a better game than Black Ops.



Also Runescape isn't a native Linux game. Its a native Java game. WoW running in Wine is more "native" than Runescape.

The only real MMO with a native Linux client is Tibia, but good luck running it on Intel's graphics drivers.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 83
to be fair to windows, they are getting better on the security side although still have a ways to go...

however, there is a lot more to the security of linux than security through obscurity ill leave it at that as we could probably all reply with a full page of info if we really tried, but it would be getting a bit side tracked

ive been meaning to try urban terror out... maybe ill give it a crack some day again, im really a quake player not a cod or cs player so its difficult for me to take those kinds of games seriously :/
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
however, there is a lot more to the security of linux than security through obscurity ill leave it at that as we could probably all reply with a full page of info if we really tried, but it would be getting a bit side tracked

Linux is only as secure as the person that's using it, and somehow I doubt a person that would install spyware on their system would think twice about providing that same spyware with the root password.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod View Post
to be fair to windows, they are getting better on the security side although still have a ways to go...

however, there is a lot more to the security of linux than security through obscurity ill leave it at that as we could probably all reply with a full page of info if we really tried, but it would be getting a bit side tracked

ive been meaning to try urban terror out... maybe ill give it a crack some day again, im really a quake player not a cod or cs player so its difficult for me to take those kinds of games seriously :/
agreed windows has done a lot in the last few releases to improve security, but it is still a single user system built with multi-user hacks and a security later added on as an after thought . i do believe most expeirenced linux users could write a book on how linux is a 1001 ways more secure...but they all forget the one random variable...end user...like nathris said a lot of ppl would hand over root access to a program who'd ask for it, cause that is how it is windows...even with UAC on, i've seen people click "okay" without even reading what it said or they weren't installing or doing anything that would've warranted a UAC action...

but this is a linux game thread...we are so good at trolling off topic

like some one mentioned about rage, they weren't sure if it was going to get a linux port...even if it doesn't...i would def reinstall windows just for that game, as i'm a huge idSoftware fanboi...been since the mid 90's, i've purchased all their games blindly without reading a single review, the only one i regretted was quake4...but that wasn't done by idSoftware

these last several years without much coming out of idSoftware has been really disheartening, hopefully rage is worth the wait.
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by transhour View Post
agreed windows has done a lot in the last few releases to improve security, but it is still a single user system built with multi-user hacks and a security later added on as an after thought . i do believe most expeirenced linux users could write a book on how linux is a 1001 ways more secure...but they all forget the one random variable...end user...like nathris said a lot of ppl would hand over root access to a program who'd ask for it, cause that is how it is windows...even with UAC on, i've seen people click "okay" without even reading what it said or they weren't installing or doing anything that would've warranted a UAC action...

but this is a linux game thread...we are so good at trolling off topic

like some one mentioned about rage, they weren't sure if it was going to get a linux port...even if it doesn't...i would def reinstall windows just for that game, as i'm a huge idSoftware fanboi...been since the mid 90's, i've purchased all their games blindly without reading a single review, the only one i regretted was quake4...but that wasn't done by idSoftware

these last several years without much coming out of idSoftware has been really disheartening, hopefully rage is worth the wait.
quake4 gets a lot of flak, but its really not a bad game

the reason quake4 didnt do so well is because of a lot of tiny differences from q3a, people liked q3a and the tiny differences (such as view height taking into consideration that feet do exist, and crouch sliding) bugged them to not like it :/ not to mention, the game was REALLY pushed to be a main stream competitive game, raven released it with a lot of bugs that were patched out but people got tired of the bugs b4 the patches came out

really, if you check out some quake4 CTF online, or some 1v1 its really cool hard to find players these days do to the blind opinion of many towards the game... but still possible

i quite like every single quake game for its own uniqueness and q4 is no exception they are all amazing games
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Kinda meh now...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PhII 940 BE asus M4N82 Deluxe 2x 8800gts(g92) 2x 1g ocz ddr2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
/dev/sd[abc] /dev/sr0 WinXP/Linux 22in acer 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
950w rosewill timebomb Antec 900 (2small) Voodoo Deathadder (RED!) X-Trac Pads Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Just some games for Linux.