Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › I think I have coil whine... what do I do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I have coil whine... what do I do? - Page 3

post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
well if I play games it doesn't really tax my cpu (playing wow its like 40% cpu usage, TF2 is like 25%, lol is like 30-40%) much but it seems to stop the noise.

do you think the noise is there cuz the i3 uses less power than i5 2500k or i7 2600k? this is an OC board so maybe MSI was thinking I'd buy this board and run an i5 @ like 4.8ghz or something lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Z77 sabertooth HD Radeon 6870 CF Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb 
Power
Corsair 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Z77 sabertooth HD Radeon 6870 CF Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb 
Power
Corsair 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 39
it could just be that in an idle state.. there is 'buzz' due to the lower wattage requirement [which is actually harder for power circuitry to produce, than a higher load].
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
well if I play games it doesn't really tax my cpu (playing wow its like 40% cpu usage, TF2 is like 25%, lol is like 30-40%) much but it seems to stop the noise.

do you think the noise is there cuz the i3 uses less power than i5 2500k or i7 2600k? this is an OC board so maybe MSI was thinking I'd buy this board and run an i5 @ like 4.8ghz or something lol.
Then it is mostly definitely your motherboard VRM's. Since putting a load on it make the whine go away. And no the whine is not there because of it's lower TDP of the i3, it's the motherboard. A bad luck of the draw I guess. And now you may say this board is for overclocking(and advertised) but I certainly wouldn't for the lack of power-phases.
post #24 of 39
Thread Starter 
all rite well i've put in a rma request. lets see how this goes.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Z77 sabertooth HD Radeon 6870 CF Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb 
Power
Corsair 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus Z77 sabertooth HD Radeon 6870 CF Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb 
Power
Corsair 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 39

I saw this thread and it had me wondering about a noise my PC makes. (What I believe to be the PSU.)

Whenever I first start Furmark it makes this high pitched fluttering whine. Could that be coil whine? Or is it something totally different; my video card?

It only happens for the first few seconds and only when I have my video card overclocked. When I run it stock it doesn't happen.

*Rendering a video to upload to Youtube so you can hear the sound.

Edit:


@26 seconds is when I run the test again after removing the overclock, no noise.


Edited by Khaotik55 - 7/30/11 at 2:18pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaotik55 View Post
I saw this thread and it had me wondering about a noise my PC makes. (What I believe to be the PSU.)

Whenever I first start Furmark it makes this high pitched fluttering whine. Could that be coil whine? Or is it something totally different; my video card?

It only happens for the first few seconds and only when I have my video card overclocked. When I run it stock it doesn't happen.

*Rendering a video to upload to Youtube so you can hear the sound.
If it's only furmark, its most likely your GPU since that is the only thing being stressed.

Edit: Now that I hear it, that doesnt sound anything like coil whine since coil whine is constant. I dont know what that is
Edited by SkippyDogg - 7/30/11 at 2:22pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyDogg View Post
If it's only furmark, its most likely your GPU since that is the only thing being stressed.

Edit: Now that I hear it, that doesnt sound anything like coil whine since coil whine is constant. I dont know what that is


Very well could be. My video card is strange; every time I increase the speed of the fan from 20-60 all the way to 100 my FPS drops for a second or two. As if the fan is drawing power away from the rest of the card causing performance drops.

Also, sorry for hi-jacking your thread OP. I thought it was the same issue.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaotik55 View Post
Very well could be. My video card is strange; every time I increase the speed of the fan from 20-60 all the way to 100 my FPS drops for a second or two. As if the fan is drawing power away from the rest of the card causing performance drops.

Also, sorry for hi-jacking your thread OP. I thought it was the same issue.
Have you tried setting it to auto fan speed?
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyDogg View Post
Have you tried setting it to auto fan speed?
Sometimes I forget to turn the fan up to accommodate my overclock and it'll reach 91C during gaming causing the fan to come on to prevent damage. My FPS will drop even when I'm not controlling it myself.

As soon as the fan gets more power suddenly it always happens. Not to much of a problem to be honest as it only happens when I goof up.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyDogg View Post
Hmm possibly GPU......try and put your ear next to it see if it is?
My EVGA card has done that since I got it (under load).
mothra
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asus P8Z68 Dlx Asus GTX570 DCUII Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD LG Blu-Ray Burner Win 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 24" LCD (1920x1200) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microshaft Corsair AX750 Silverstone FT02B-W Microshaft 
Mouse Pad
WOWpad 
  hide details  
Reply
mothra
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Asus P8Z68 Dlx Asus GTX570 DCUII Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 16GB (4x4) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD LG Blu-Ray Burner Win 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 24" LCD (1920x1200) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microshaft Corsair AX750 Silverstone FT02B-W Microshaft 
Mouse Pad
WOWpad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › I think I have coil whine... what do I do?