Overclock.net banner

What 3GB GTX 580? EVGA OR MSI?

2K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  8564dan 
#1 ·
Hi guys, so my next upgrade is going to be a 3GB 580. (Before you ask, i do need 3GB for 3D rendering and future monitor upgrade
)

Im not sure what one to get. Do i wait for the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition or go with EVGA?

My only concern with the MSI lightning is that it exhasusts heat into the case...i dont know if i want that really.

Anyone have any input that could help with my decision?

Thanks

EDIT: What are the stock clock speeds of a 3GB 580? Do the EVGA and MSI ones come overclocked slightly?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm running 2 of the MSI cards with Twin Frozr coolers and even OC'd they never exceed 65*c. Though honestly, comparing the Lightning Xtreme to the reference EVGA is like comparing apples to oranges. The Lightning Xtreme is in a class of it's own, it has superior cooling and superior components, allowing to oc much higher than a reference EVGA card. Here's a screenshot of my cards temp under load, as you can see they've been loaded for a while.

#5 ·
Heat in the case is not an issue at all with MSI if you have decent case airflow to vent it. You are only talking about 1 card when there are people running 2+ in SLI running on air. Not to mention that the Twin Frozr III runs the card up to 20 degrees cooler than the EVGA.

But with EVGA you get a lifetime warranty. It really depends on what you want. If you don't plan to OC the card at all and will not likely do SLI then EVGA might be the better choice for you. (MSI has features specifically built into the card for massive OC that EVGA does not have)

#6 ·
Do you plan on going SLI? What is your slot spacing layout? If you do plan on doing sli and they will be next to each other then go with the EVGA - otherwise if you aren't or have proper slot placement then go with the MSI as its far superior

#7 ·
I say go MSI

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by appleg33k85
View Post

Do you plan on going SLI? What is your slot spacing layout? If you do plan on doing sli and they will be next to each other then go with the EVGA - otherwise if you aren't or have proper slot placement then go with the MSI as its far superior

I hear this a lot, it's simply not true unless you have a case with poor cooling performance. See my post above, I'm running 2 Twin Frozr 580's that are OC'd and my temps are lower than a lot of the posts I see of people running 2 reference cards. My board isn't anything special, it has standard spacing.
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD65--G3-.html

#12 ·
Thanks alot guys. Im thinking about going sli eventually but i will be comparing with kepler by the time i consider it so i may or may not....depends how kepler performs!

My mobo and case is as in my sig so i dont think i will have any issues with airflow or space. I liking the MSI atm. Just want to ask though, is it already slighlty OC when bought?

#13 ·
Ive just watched a video and saw that the power connectors are 2x 8 pin? I thought it was 1x 8 pin and 1x 6 pin...maybe thats the 1.5GB 580? Thats aweome though as my current card is 2x 8 pin so i dont have to flaf aabout with the psu connectors. Just simple swap

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaCena
View Post

I'd go with the EVGA one. The GTX 580 3GB is a card you will most likely keep for a very long time, so you'll be glad you have a Lifetime Warranty if anything ever happens to it.

Lightning Xtreme is a 3GB card too. The regular Lightning is 1.5GB.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8564dan
View Post

Ive just watched a video and saw that the power connectors are 2x 8 pin? I thought it was 1x 8 pin and 1x 6 pin...maybe thats the 1.5GB 580? Thats aweome though as my current card is 2x 8 pin so i dont have to flaf aabout with the psu connectors. Just simple swap

Most of the non-reference cards are 2x 8 pin.

#16 ·
Quote:

View Post

My mobo and case is as in my sig so i dont think i will have any issues with airflow or space. I liking the MSI atm. Just want to ask though, is it already slighlty OC when bought?

You should be fine with the HAF 932, it is similar to the HAF-X that I run with no issues. Yes, the Lightning comes overclocked from the factory and it is very easy to overclock more if you so desire.

#18 ·
Thanks guys. Should I use stock CPU clocks when installing?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

#20 ·
As someone who has owned 5 EVGA cards, and 3 evga mobo's my vote goes to MSI due to evga's quality control. Ive had 2 DOA cards, 1 DOA mobo, and my GTX580 only lasted 6 months. Granted their rma department took them every time for a exchange, but ive always had to pay shipping and wait a week for something that shoun't have happened in the first place and ive begged them for them to send me shipping labels.

#21 ·
Quote:

View Post

EDIT: What are the stock clock speeds of a 3GB 580? Do the EVGA and MSI ones come overclocked slightly?

The reference clocks are 772mhz on the core and 2004mhz for the memory. The 3gb EVGA card has reference clocks. The MSI card is clocked at 832mhz on the core and 2100mhz on the memory.

#22 ·
MSI since you'll probably end up selling it in a year or two. With EVGA, the buy wouldn't have a warranty, but they would with MSI.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riou
View Post

Lightning Xtreme is a 3GB card too. The regular Lightning is 1.5GB.

I didn't say it wasn't.
I was suggesting the EVGA card over the MSI one because of EVGA's lifetime warranty. Having a great warranty on a high-end card is a top priority, in my opinion. You'll essentially have a free ride to a "GTX 680" if your GTX 580 ever craps out on you.

#24 ·
Thanks very much for your input! Im gonna wait til MSI is released over here then
smile.gif

#25 ·
Look at this vid from 3:24

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shCN5IE3dms&feature=related[/ame]

Are these things for the v-check points really needed? I dont quite understand how you would use them and why you would use them?

One more question: Will my CPU bottleneck it? I doubt it will but would like some opinions. Im trying my best to hold out for ivy bridge
smile.gif

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCena;14403898
I was suggesting the EVGA card over the MSI one because of EVGA's lifetime warranty. Having a great warranty on a high-end card is a top priority, in my opinion.
Most high end buyers won't keep a card past 2 years, so they'd be selling the card with a 1 year warranty left with MSI. With EVGA, the buyer has nothing but the hopes and prayers that the seller is still able to be contacted and willing to help if all shipping involved is paid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.