Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › (Solved)Need help choosing... (AM3+)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(Solved)Need help choosing... (AM3+)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm deciding on a Mobo for my upcoming build. I need something that I can overclock my CPU easily with one that supports at least 3 way SLI/Crossfire.
Here are my current choices:

Gigabyte UD7.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128508


Gigabyte UD5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128509


Asus Crosshair V Formula.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131735

Asus Sabertooth.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131736


+ rep for those who actually give me suggestions.

Edit2: I guess I should of added my case will be the IN WIN Dragon Rider.
Edited by Paratrooper1n0 - 8/1/11 at 12:48pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
I'm deciding on a Mobo for my upcoming build. I need something that I can overclock my CPU easily with one that supports at least 3 way SLI/Crossfire.
Here are my current choices:

Gigabyte UD7.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128508

Gigabyte UD5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128509

Asus Crosshair V Formula.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131735

Asus Sabertooth.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131736
No 3 GPU, unless 8 slot expasion case.
Between UD7 and UD5, no need for UD7, UD5 has everything UD7 has, less 1 pci-e. Unlees you want 4 GPU, but you stated 3 GPU so... Also to have 4 GPU with UD7 you would need 8 expasion slot case.

The real choise problem goes down to UD5 VS CH5F, personally i prefer the CH5F (got one), since it has more power plugs in the motherboard ( more stable power, when overclocking 3 GPUs and Bulldozer ), and it looks nicer. Both should perform almost the same.

The CH5F does have a better network controller (intel).

The UD5 is a bit cheaper than the CH5F, but for like 20$ i would go CH5F.

EDIT: did you already buy a 990fx Mobo?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ This mobo can suport 3 GPU, but need a 8 expansion slot case.

If you already have a mobo, stick with it. And maybe, change case/mod case?

Edited by Erick - 8/1/11 at 11:57am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The CH5F does have a better network controller (intel).

The UD5 is a bit cheaper than the CH5F, but for like 20$ i would go CH5F.
^This, and the fact that Asus uefi is great and I have never had a problem with Asus support, and lets not forget ROG.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Between UD7 and UD5, no need for UD7, UD5 has everything UD7 has, less 1 pci-e. Unlees you want 4 GPU, but you stated 3 GPU so... Also to have 4 GPU with UD7 you would need 8 expasion slot case.

The real choise problem goes down to UD5 VS CH5F, personally i prefer the CH5F (got one), since it has more power plugs in the motherboard ( more stable power, when overclocking 3 GPUs and Bulldozer ), and it looks nicer. Both should perform almost the same.

The CH5F does have a better network controller (intel).

The UD5 is a bit cheaper than the CH5F, but for like 20$ i would go CH5F.

EDIT: did you already buy a 990fx Mobo?

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ This mobo can suport 3 GPU, but need a 8 expansion slot case.

If you already have a mobo, stick with it. And maybe, change case/mod case?
That build was for a friend, but since I built it I take responsibility for the build and any RMA's.
I will be getting the Dragon Rider Case for sure. And I now have scratched UD7 off the list. Though I wouldn't mind quad, I find it impractical.
post #5 of 14
Oh, and the best thing, UEFI and like a gazilion bios tweaking options with CH5F and rog forums, which guys from asus help people out, in case of doubt and problems!

Gigabyte boards dont have UEFI bios.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hmm. It's tempting, very tempting. Well I think I've made my decision.
post #7 of 14
The Asus Sabertooth would be the better mobo over the Giga-byte ones. So far I love my Sabertooth mobo.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
Hmm. It's tempting, very tempting. Well I think I've made my decision.
Share?


Edit2: NVM just saw OP edited first post.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
The Asus Sabertooth would be the better mobo over the Giga-byte ones. So far I love my Sabertooth mobo.
Sabertooh, not good for 3 GPU's, need 8 slot case, and last card runs at x4.
Edited by Erick - 8/1/11 at 12:56pm
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post


Share?


Edit2: NVM saw OP edited first post.

Edit:
Sabertooh, not good for 3 GPU's, need 8 slot case, and last card runs at x4.
The CH5F. Also, the IN WIN Dragon Rider has 8 Expansion Slots.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Edit:
Sabertooh, not good for 3 GPU's, need 8 slot case, and last card runs at x4.
No. Sabertooth is x16,x8,x8 for the tri sli/cf not x16,x8,x4.
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › (Solved)Need help choosing... (AM3+)