I agree with the recommendation for APC as a general brand, and for the 1500v model.
I use 4 of these at work, 2 are the XS model, and 2 RS models. The XS models are older and have a little better reserve, but the RS models are supposed to do a better job of regulating the power. The XS's are in our equipment room and back up all our communication stuff, and the RS's are under my desk, feeding my PC's.
I also have read several bad reviews of APC products, but like anything made, there will be the occaisional lemon. I figure, like any other product, 90% of the people that buy them are happy, and go about their way. The other 10% consists of 2 types: people that not only like the product but will take time to tell others about it, and the majority of folks that actually have a problem and need somewhere to vent.
As usual, YMMV but I don't think you can go wrong with APC.
Just my 2c worth...hope it helps,