Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a monitor upgrade.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a monitor upgrade.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey all.
Right now I'm running 1080p on a Samsung SyncMaster 550A. Great monitor, not a single complaint about it. But I want a monitor to take advantage of the 2560x1600 resolution my graphics card provides.

Is there anything out there in this resolution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or should I just sit tight with what I have right now?
post #2 of 6
A 2560x1600 monitor is prohibitively expensive right now, $1000 at the very least. Sit tight with 1080p, its not a bad res by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to put your cards to the test however, you could pick up two more screens and do an eyefinity setup running 5670x1080 for much less money
Edited by pangolinman - 8/2/11 at 1:54am
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolinman View Post
A 2560x1600 monitor is prohibitively expensive right now, $1000 at the very least. Sit tight with 1080p, its not a bad res by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to put your cards to the test however, you could pick up two more screens and do an eyefinity setup running 5670x1080
Believe me, that thought has crossed my mind
Originally I was going to get an Apple Cinema Display for my Macbook Pro, and run it to my new rig because of the mini-display ports present in the HD 6970. However, the monitors have been updated yet again to only be connected via thunderbolt -_-
post #4 of 6
As mentioned, +2 monitors for eyefinity/ 120Hz for 3D support (Not sure how AMD 3D works though)/ get a PX2370 (awesome gaming monitor)/ IPS panel for color reproduction.

Not much point going for 2560x1600 to be honest.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6500 @ stock MSI H110i Pro AC Asus GTX 1070 Gaming Strix OC 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1Tb Hitachi 5400RPM 2.5" HDD Intel 540s 240Gb SSD Noctua L9i Windows 10 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
PX2370 Filco Ninja Brown Switches Silverstone 500W SFX-L Gold Silverstone RVZ02 (Non-Windowed) 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Bose Companion II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6500 @ stock MSI H110i Pro AC Asus GTX 1070 Gaming Strix OC 16Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1Tb Hitachi 5400RPM 2.5" HDD Intel 540s 240Gb SSD Noctua L9i Windows 10 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
PX2370 Filco Ninja Brown Switches Silverstone 500W SFX-L Gold Silverstone RVZ02 (Non-Windowed) 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Bose Companion II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaiFanatic View Post
Believe me, that thought has crossed my mind
Originally I was going to get an Apple Cinema Display for my Macbook Pro, and run it to my new rig because of the mini-display ports present in the HD 6970. However, the monitors have been updated yet again to only be connected via thunderbolt -_-
Also, the apple cinema display has a 12ms response time that to us PC users, would be truly atrocious. Higher response time is an issue with an IPS monitor vs a TN paneled monitor, but that is just too much. The HP and Dell 30 inchers both have better response times, better color reproduction, and non-ubergloss finish (Its like starting straight into a mirror on the Mac display).

I have never had the pleasure of seeing a real eyefinity setup, but i would imagine the peripheral view would add more to immersion than a single ultra high res monitor. Plus, triple screens would be better for multitasking.

The downsides are no IPS (which is beautiful), and no ultrahigh resolution, but i think the sheer amount of pixels on a 5670x1080 eyefinity setup, combined with a quick input more than makes up for it.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolinman View Post
Also, the apple cinema display has a 12ms response time that to us PC users, would be truly atrocious. Higher response time is an issue with an IPS monitor vs a TN paneled monitor, but that is just too much. The HP and Dell 30 inchers both have better response times, better color reproduction, and non-ubergloss finish (Its like starting straight into a mirror on the Mac display).

I have never had the pleasure of seeing a real eyefinity setup, but i would imagine the peripheral view would add more to immersion than a single ultra high res monitor. Plus, triple screens would be better for multitasking.

The downsides are no IPS (which is beautiful), and no ultrahigh resolution, but i think the sheer amount of pixels on a 5670x1080 eyefinity setup, combined with a quick input more than makes up for it.
Hmm, never thought of that. I was aware that the response time might be longer, but I had no idea it was 12ms. I should really step up my research game

My newest MB Pro has the matte screen, and I love it. My other one has the glossy finish, and it can be a pain when sitting outdoors or in an overly lit classroom.

So, all this having been said, what's the best bang for my buck in this regard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a monitor upgrade.