Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Crossfire 6950's Flashed to 6970's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crossfire 6950's Flashed to 6970's? - Page 3

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
I have two reference 6950s, both of them unlocked without issue or instability.

I cannot comment on samples I do not have except to say that it seems the vast majority of reference 6950s unlock successfully.
I also have 2 ref cards (one XFX one true reference) both unlocked and flashed 6970 bios and works fine

Id like to see proof of someone having problems with unlocking if theres a thread about it, just saying
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.8 Asus P8P67 WS rev 2x6950 unlocked 8GB Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Force 3 120GB + 1TB WD Windows 7 3x HP 25 inch 2509M Steel Series 6GV2 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec 750 Corsair 600T SE White Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @4.8 Asus P8P67 WS rev 2x6950 unlocked 8GB Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Force 3 120GB + 1TB WD Windows 7 3x HP 25 inch 2509M Steel Series 6GV2 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec 750 Corsair 600T SE White Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Memory ICs on both are rated for the same voltage and the 6970 has looser timings than the 6950.

At any given clock speed, the 6970 BIOS is likely less stressful on the ICs than the 6950 BIOS.

Don't want to risk your memory? Back off on the memory clock.
Where did you get that? Never found anything about that one the internet.
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Where did you get that? Never found anything about that one the internet.
Timings DON'T get tighter as the frequency goes up ya know.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
Timings DON'T get tighter as the frequency goes up ya know.
I know that, what i wanna know, is where he found out that the HD6970 and HD 6950 have the same voltage on the memory chips, and also the loose timmings of the hd 6970.

Just wanna know where he found that info, 'cause i went on the hynix web site ( memory manufacturer) and read the info on these memory chips and didnt find what are the timmings and voltages on these chips.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
DO NOT FLASH TO HD6970 BIOS
DO NOT FLASH TO HD6970 BIOS

it will mess with memory timmings and voltage since they are different memory chips on the 6950 and 6970.

What you can do is: unlock the shaders only, it will maintain the stock settings sides from the shaders unlock, after that you overclock to hd 6970 speeds or even more.
Erick this charade of yours is getting old. This isn't the first thread you have crapped up spreading this rumor. I'll be happy to dispel it again for you if I need to. You obviously borrowed someone else's soapbox to stand on here, and that was a mistake. If you want to go around telling people something is dangerous, make sure you have some proof and can back it up. Otherwise you may as well be shouting about the dangers of chocolate milk.

Keep reading, and I'll try to fully address the whole issue for you all, as I know some people have bricked their cards. But please show me some proof the ram timings are different. And as for memory timings not being good to mess with, what are any of you talking about. Hundreds of people including myself tighten the ram timings of our sig rig. Did you mean to argue that messing with the Hynix ram used on these GPU's isn't good to try and tighten? If so post some proof.

People will flash their BIOS for the same reason they pump more volts into their CPU. To snag the most performance you can out of any given component. You, Erick, have every right to voice your opinion, even if it is wrong. I may not agree with you, but I would certainly defend your right to say it. However in this case, I'm not debating opinions. I'm arguing facts. And the facts are that you can tighten memory without causing damage. Just like you can overvolt it. Within reason ofc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhemmens View Post
Source?



Then hows about you provide proof that every non-reference card will unlock?
Not sure if your trolling or really this poorly misinformed. Note sure if your really that foolish or simply that brave to offer your opinions without evidence as fact. Just to be generous I'll assume the latter in both cases.


I won't offer my opinion on anything however, just facts. Let me lay it all out for you since you decided not to google for yourself and save us this hassle.

Here's the original post from TPU, showing how to unlock the GPU and at the bottom there is this nifty poll about unlock success to failure ratio. You should probably give it a gander as you will clearly note it shows 696 cards polled. Of those 696 polled only 23 failed to unlock and work as a 6970.

In case you didn't want to do the math, I did it for you. that's over a 96% success rate
You'll note I put that in bold and such to make sure you got it. I don't want anyone else confused by bad posts and misinformation.


I'd also like to go ahead and mention that a 6970 has 1536 shaders. Now please direct your attention to the fact that my 6950 according to GPUZ also has, wait for it, the same number!




The point in showing the above? Just to go ahead and address as much of the myth surrounding the 6950 unlock as possible. A 6950 when flashed to a 6970 BIOS with unlocked shaders, is in essence a 6970 as they perform identically.




Now you may argue that's just one poll. It doesn't prove anything. Fair enough I concede that point, and the driver's have matured some. Let's mosey on over to a thread right here on OCN further showing the correct answer.

6950: Shaders Unlocked vs Full Unlocked Tested

My point is simple for the OP and all the naysayers in the thread. A 6950 flashed will perform identically to a 6970 at the same clocks. A 6970 BIOS isn't going to screw with the 6950 RAM. And even though they are different HYNIX modules a 6950's ram timings aren't tightened when utilizing a 6970 BIOS. If you say I am wrong throw up some proof and I will repeal my post. I'm not looking for opinions, but fact.

Way to go tsm106 for staying the course.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] i7 930, 4.4ghz @ 1.27V [Asus] Rampage III Extreme [Sapphire] 2X 6950's Flashed to 6970's @950/1425 [G.SKILL] Ripjaws X Series 12GB DDR3 @ 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] 2X C300's in Raid0 & [Samsung] 2X 1TB F3 [Hewlett-Packard] DVD-RW [Microsoft] Windows 7 64-bit [Asus] 3X 23" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Microsoft] Sidewinder X6 [Kingwin] Lazer LZ-1000 [Xigmatek] Elysium (Being Modded) [Microsoft] Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
[XTrac] Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 37
Re-read the statement.

Quote:
Then hows about you provide proof that every non-reference card will unlock?
Any facts you have provided are for reference cards.

Can you prove every non-reference card will unlock? Nope.

Is it a fact that some reference cards will not unlock? Yes.
Is it a fact that some non-reference cards will not unlock? Yes.

Is it a fact some non-reference cards are completely locked? Yes.

I quote:

Quote:
It seems the ASIC on our test sample has the shaders properly locked, so a BIOS mod is not possible.
MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr II 2 GB by techPowerUp.
Edited by Willhemmens - 8/2/11 at 1:50pm
post #27 of 37
Haha, now you're making up your own argument.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
Haha, now you're making up your own argument.
Making up my own argument? You've yet to prove all non-reference cards are unlockable.

I've been able to prove some non-reference cards are locked.

Who's going now?

As said above, way to go tsm106 for staying the course.
Edited by Willhemmens - 8/2/11 at 1:46pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhemmens View Post
Making up my own argument? You've yet to prove all non-reference cards are unlockable.

I've been able to prove some non-reference cards are locked.

Who's going now?

As said above, way to go tsm106 for staying the course.
You haven't proved jack.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
You haven't proved jack.
Oh wait, perhaps you should read my post a couple posts up.

I quote:


"Is it a fact some non-reference cards are completely locked? Yes.

I quote:

Quote:
It seems the ASIC on our test sample has the shaders properly locked, so a BIOS mod is not possible.
MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr II 2 GB by techPowerUp."

And here's another source:

Quote:
Now one point we have to mention - with the first revision of the reference models you could flash in a R6970 BIOS into a R6950 graphics card, and get extra shader processors enabled. That trick won't work here as this card is not reference. However, we do wonder a little what would happen if you'd flash an MSI R6970 Twin Frozr II BIOS into this product
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC review by Guru3D

So, you were saying?
Edited by Willhemmens - 8/2/11 at 1:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Crossfire 6950's Flashed to 6970's?