Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › I would like to go to water. I need extreme guidance though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I would like to go to water. I need extreme guidance though.

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, im highly considering water cooling my CPU. However i have no idea where to start. My system is as in my sig. I dont want to spend much either. I have read that the RAZA kits are good bang for buck kits? I would really appreciate some help and advice on where to start and what to do. For example i have no idea as to where eveything would go in the case?? At an even more n00b point...i dont even understand the parts of a water cooling setup needed.

I have attached the temps im getting at half hour of prime 95. I know i should reapply thermal compound and reinstall the HSF but then i thought....why not give water a try? LEAKS is a worry for me though. I did think about going for the Corsair H80...will the RAZA beat it by much? Or should i go with the H80 as im not experienced enough with water?

Would i still leave the same fans in the case as they are? Or do i need to adjust all that aswell?

Sorry for the longwinded post however the thought of a watercooled setup has always intrigued me and i think i just want to try it. Any help on the above questions would be great. I have highlighed the key points

Many thanks guys. Hope you can help me!
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 19
corsair H80's are find if you only ever want to cool your CPU... if you ever want anything more + better results the RASA kits are what you need. There are several many threads of people starting systems and it would be best to look there before I give the 30 minute lecture on what is watercooling lol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t MSI 990FXA-GD80 MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr II (4) 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 64GB SSD + WD 2TB 5400 + WD 1TB 7200 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 23" LCD Backlit LED Rosewill 700W 
Case
Lian-Li Lancool k63 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t MSI 990FXA-GD80 MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr II (4) 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 64GB SSD + WD 2TB 5400 + WD 1TB 7200 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 23" LCD Backlit LED Rosewill 700W 
Case
Lian-Li Lancool k63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
If you are new to watercooling then the RASA kit will be perfect for you. It comes with everything you need. It will take you a while to figure it out your first time but once you do it gets much easier to maintain. If you are ONLY cooling your cpu and dont plan on your GPU then the get the RS240 or RX240 kit (RX has thicker Rads than the RS which means better cooling). If you plan on adding your GPU to the loop then your will want the RS360 or RX360 kit.

You would mount the radiator on top of your case and remove the 230mm fan on top. The res/pump would go in your 5.25in bays and your cpu block goes without saying. The HAF 932 can fit an RX360 on top without problems which is the biggest rad the kit offers.

They can be found at jab-tech.com or frozencpu.com.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlexandria View Post
corsair H80's are find if you only ever want to cool your CPU... if you ever want anything more + better results the RASA kits are what you need. There are several many threads of people starting systems and it would be best to look there before I give the 30 minute lecture on what is watercooling lol
Thanks...i would love a link to those threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
If you are new to watercooling then the RASA kit will be perfect for you. It comes with everything you need. It will take you a while to figure it out your first time but once you do it gets much easier to maintain. If you are ONLY cooling your cpu and dont plan on your GPU then the get the RS240 or RX240 kit (RX has thicker Rads than the RS which means better cooling). If you plan on adding your GPU to the loop then your will want the RS360 or RX360 kit.

You would mount the radiator on top of your case and remove the 230mm fan on top. The res/pump would go in your 5.25in bays and your cpu block goes without saying. The HAF 932 can fit an RX360 on top without problems which is the biggest rad the kit offers.

They can be found at jab-tech.com or frozencpu.com.
Many thanks. Im not sure about the gpu. Is it much more difficult to involve that in the loop? Also, mounting the res/pump in the 5.25inch bays...does that mean i would need to move my two optical drives down underneath it?
If i remove the 230mm fan on top and replace with the rad, wouldnt that affect my case airflow? Any links to any pics where the HAF 932 uses this pic?
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 19
I'd go h80 honestly. I have no interest in maintaining a water loop. The rasa kit will cool better but its not worth the hassle imo...
post #6 of 19
Gotta weigh the pros and cons of each system.

For my since I'm a DIY guy and want the best bang for buck I went with a RASA RS240 for my initial setup and going to attach an RX120 sometime in the near future for my GPU. That's why the RASA kit was perfect for me. Took me 2 full weeks to decide whether to go H100 or RASA 240.

Here are my points in decision making:

RASA kit.
Customizable (Upgradable)
I don't mind maintenance.
I keep things quiet.

Corsair H80/100
Maintenance free
Plug and Play

The only point that sold me on getting a RASA kit was the custom part to cool other parts of the PC.

If I only needed to cool my CPU I'd go with the H100/H80...

If I needed to cool my GPU and CPU I'd go with the RASA kit.

Ask yourself if you really NEED to go underwater...I did.

Like I said took me a full 2 weeks of debating with myself. But that's just me.
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 19
I realise all chips are different but I can stay in the low 60'sC with a i7-930@3.6 with a Megahalems in a HAF 932. Your temps are high enough to suspect a HSF mounting issue or a voltage issue with your overclock,that is unless it is 95F ambient.Good thing is you probably will uncover the problem when you go water (unless it is due to a incorrect voltage with your overclock).

EDIT: yes you are up there with the voltage (I see 1.32) you get that voltage down to 1.28V or so the difference will be dramatic.I don't even need 1.32v for 4.05GHz.

EDIT: I use the Black Ice 360 radiator (the thick,dense fin design one) and would not consider any thing else,even for just the cpu, but then my use is 24/7 folding.Everything depends on the use.I tried one i7-930 rig with the Swiftech stackable 3x120 and it is not even a fair contest compared to the Black Ice.
Edited by PCCstudent - 8/2/11 at 2:41pm
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
WC Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930@4.05GHz ASUS P6X58D-Preminum XFX GeForce 275 896mb 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 150gb Raptor LightScan Win 7 64-bit Acer 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Corsair HX620W Antec 1200 several various 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Many thanks. Im not sure about the gpu. Is it much more difficult to involve that in the loop? Also, mounting the res/pump in the 5.25inch bays...does that mean i would need to move my two optical drives down underneath it?
If i remove the 230mm fan on top and replace with the rad, wouldnt that affect my case airflow? Any links to any pics where the HAF 932 uses this pic?
If you get a 360mm rad then you will only have room for 1 optical drive under your res/pump. If you get a 240mm rad then you will have room to put your res/pump under your optical drives. Adding a GPU is not hard, once you do it you will get the hang of the process. Just browse the watercooling section and you will have all you need there.

As far as air flow goes, it depends on if you decide to upgrade your fans or not. If you stick with the stock rasa kit fans, then yes you will lose a bit of air flow. Not to worry because your cpu will be at such low temps anyways and your gpu will be fine.

You can see a pic on my albums of my old haf 932 setup that has my 360mm coolgate rad mounted on top.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hmm ok thanks guys. Is the H80 much better than air?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
If you get a 360mm rad then you will only have room for 1 optical drive under your res/pump. If you get a 240mm rad then you will have room to put your res/pump under your optical drives. Adding a GPU is not hard, once you do it you will get the hang of the process. Just browse the watercooling section and you will have all you need there.

As far as air flow goes, it depends on if you decide to upgrade your fans or not. If you stick with the stock rasa kit fans, then yes you will lose a bit of air flow. Not to worry because your cpu will be at such low temps anyways and your gpu will be fine.

You can see a pic on my albums of my old haf 932 setup that has my 360mm coolgate rad mounted on top.
I love that pic in your album. It looks awesome. Does the radiator come with 3 fans at the top or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent View Post
I realise all chips are different but I can stay in the low 60'sC with a i7-930@3.6 with a Megahalems in a HAF 932. Your temps are high enough to suspect a HSF mounting issue or a voltage issue with your overclock,that is unless it is 95F ambient.Good thing is you probably will uncover the problem when you go water (unless it is due to a incorrect voltage with your overclock).

EDIT: yes you are up there with the voltage (I see 1.32) you get that voltage down to 1.28V or so the difference will be dramatic.I don't even need 1.32v for 4.05GHz.

EDIT: I use the Black Ice 360 radiator (the thick,dense fin design one) and would not consider any thing else,even for just the cpu, but then my use is 24/7 folding.Everything depends on the use.I tried one i7-930 rig with the Swiftech stackable 3x120 and it is not even a fair contest compared to the Black Ice.
The thing with my OC is that it was done by the company i bought the PC from. I have looked in the BIOS and im not sure if they have done it in the "best" way. I cant see the multiplier.....it seems they have set it to auto? If thats possible? Im going to make another thread with pics for people to see.


How do you "maintain" a WC setup?

Do you think that if i went with the H80, it would be much better than my current cooling?


EDIT: Would shin etsu g751 thermal compound be ok for the water block and cpu?

Is the RASA kit quiet?

Edited by 8564dan - 8/3/11 at 3:00am
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › I would like to go to water. I need extreme guidance though.