New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LAN Switch?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I'm setting up a home LAN in the near future and I may be looking for something that isn't possible.

I am a n00b to networking but I am learning.

I want a 10/100/1000 switch and I have no idea what the difference between 10/100/1000 + 1000 or just 10/100/1000 is. I also want it to be managed, which I also have no idea what it is, but it certainly sounds cool. And I am on a budget of $300 or less. I know I know, I'm dumb but at least I know what I want (sorta)!

I was looking at the D-Link xStack DGS-3200-10 as it seems to be the only switch that offers what I was looking for that I could find - at least on Newegg.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? I need at least 8 ports and I didn't want to go too high, because I don't need that many and I figured it would be more expensive, and then I would want the best 10, 12, 16, or 24 port router.

Any help?
post #2 of 7
10/100/1000 simply means all ports can operate at 10mbps, 100mbps or 1000mbps (also called Gigabit). Typically, 10/100/1000 + 1000 means that there is an uplink port that is separate from the rest of the switch and runs at Gigabit speed. Any switch worth a damn is going to be able to auto-set the port speed based on what you plug into it.

Managed means that you have either a console (i.e. command line/terminal) interface or a web interface to configure the switch for advanced functions such as VLANs, firewall rules, etc. For the most part, managed switches are completely unnecessary in a home environment, except if you want to learn/hone your networking skills, or have a real need to separate the network segments (for example, if you work from home and don't want any network cross over).

I don't have any specific suggestions in mind at the moment, and can't look any up right now (about to leave for work) but from my personal experience stay away from D-Link products. Some people love them, but I've never had anything but issues with even the most simple of unmanaged switches from them.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.0 GHz 1.22 Vcore Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 260 216SP G.SKILL PI 3x2gb DDR3 1600 @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb Seagates RAID 0, 1x 500gb non-RAID Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS 24'' VH242H / Spectre 24'' WS Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 300R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.0 GHz 1.22 Vcore Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 260 216SP G.SKILL PI 3x2gb DDR3 1600 @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb Seagates RAID 0, 1x 500gb non-RAID Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS 24'' VH242H / Spectre 24'' WS Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 300R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
10/100/1000 simply means all ports can operate at 10mbps, 100mbps or 1000mbps (also called Gigabit). Typically, 10/100/1000 + 1000 means that there is an uplink port that is separate from the rest of the switch and runs at Gigabit speed. Any switch worth a damn is going to be able to auto-set the port speed based on what you plug into it.

Managed means that you have either a console (i.e. command line/terminal) interface or a web interface to configure the switch for advanced functions such as VLANs, firewall rules, etc. For the most part, managed switches are completely unnecessary in a home environment, except if you want to learn/hone your networking skills, or have a real need to separate the network segments (for example, if you work from home and don't want any network cross over).

I don't have any specific suggestions in mind at the moment, and can't look any up right now (about to leave for work) but from my personal experience stay away from D-Link products. Some people love them, but I've never had anything but issues with even the most simple of unmanaged switches from them.
Quite honestly, I agree with your opinion on D-Link. I figured I would give them a second chance since that was YEARS ago when we were running poop for cable but their routers were pathetic cheap pieces of plastic junk.

I am going for my A+ certification in the next couple of weeks. Once I fail and retake them and pass I will then go for my Network+, so I definitely consider this an investment, especially since I will use it and learn from it. This is one of the reasons I seek a managed switch.

As for 10/100/1000 + 1000, what is so good about having a Gb uplink? Do the 10/100/1000 have uplinks but not Gb? What is an uplink? Haha. In a few months hopefully I'll be a genius.

No problem about the time constraint, just give me a recommendation when you can. I'll be looking too but it's tough when I'm not sure what the terminology quite means and what to expect for a price.

EDIT: I will be looking to order one by tomorrow or Monday though.
post #4 of 7
What turbo said..
Darth
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 C1 @ 3.40 Evga 790i FTW 2x EVGA GTX 560 8GB Sector 5 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 2 Hitachi 2TB  Segate 1TB ASUS 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit Samsung 2333HD ThermalTake Meka Gunit  Antec EW 750w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
HAF 932 Black Edition Logitech Performance MX EVGA Performance Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
Darth
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 C1 @ 3.40 Evga 790i FTW 2x EVGA GTX 560 8GB Sector 5 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 2 Hitachi 2TB  Segate 1TB ASUS 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit Samsung 2333HD ThermalTake Meka Gunit  Antec EW 750w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
HAF 932 Black Edition Logitech Performance MX EVGA Performance Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
Quite honestly, I agree with your opinion on D-Link. I figured I would give them a second chance since that was YEARS ago when we were running poop for cable but their routers were pathetic cheap pieces of plastic junk.

I am going for my A+ certification in the next couple of weeks. Once I fail and retake them and pass I will then go for my Network+, so I definitely consider this an investment, especially since I will use it and learn from it. This is one of the reasons I seek a managed switch.

As for 10/100/1000 + 1000, what is so good about having a Gb uplink? Do the 10/100/1000 have uplinks but not Gb? What is an uplink? Haha. In a few months hopefully I'll be a genius.

No problem about the time constraint, just give me a recommendation when you can. I'll be looking too but it's tough when I'm not sure what the terminology quite means and what to expect for a price.

EDIT: I will be looking to order one by tomorrow or Monday though.
When a switch says its 10/100/1000 that means every port on the switch is capable of running gigabit. However, the numbering conventions is what causes some to say 10/100/1000 + 1000 for a separate uplink port.

What I mean is you'll see some switches called "5 port gigabit switch" which is true because there are 5 gigabit-capable ports, however you have to use one as an uplink port so that devices on the other 4 can contact devices/servers/the Internet which aren't connected to the same switch. I.E. it's really only a 4-port switch because you only have 4 open ports. The naming convention of 10/100/1000 + 1000 for, say, a "8 port gigabit switch" would mean there is one uplink port at gigabit speed and another 8 ports that other devices can be plugged into.

An uplink port is simply a port that connects to either another switch or a router which then provides Internet access. Meaning an uplink port is a port that connects the switch to other devices the same way the switch connects the devices connected to it (the switch) to each other.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.0 GHz 1.22 Vcore Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 260 216SP G.SKILL PI 3x2gb DDR3 1600 @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb Seagates RAID 0, 1x 500gb non-RAID Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS 24'' VH242H / Spectre 24'' WS Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 300R 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 @ 4.0 GHz 1.22 Vcore Asus Rampage II Gene GTX 260 216SP G.SKILL PI 3x2gb DDR3 1600 @ 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x 500gb Seagates RAID 0, 1x 500gb non-RAID Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS 24'' VH242H / Spectre 24'' WS Corsair 750TX 
Case
Corsair 300R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Great! Thanks.

Any suggestions for which brand or model to get?

I really like Cisco stuff but I can't find one with 10/100/1000 for under $300.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post
Great! Thanks.

Any suggestions for which brand or model to get?

I really like Cisco stuff but I can't find one with 10/100/1000 for under $300.
The is probably the best deal going. I have heard of (although haven't experience it) some heat issues with these but price/features is unreal. I have some pci slot coolers setup to blow air into the side of mine (case of the switch is ridiculous to open).

GL and happy learning.
Project Unamed
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 - 3913B269 Foxxconn Bloodrage Sapphire 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 BIOS 6GB G-Skill Trident 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x OCZ Vertex 2 160GB in RAID 0 Samsung Swiftech H2O-320 W7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 24" AL2423Wdr Acer 24" P243W DAS Model S & Cherry My 7000 Seasonic 860wt Platinum+ 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
In progress R.A.T. 7 Creative Titanium HD Fiio E9 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AH-D2000 AKG Q701 Grado SR225i Audio-Technica ATH-A900 
Audio
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
e5700 HD6670 Ceton InfiniTV 4 4GB G-Skill DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
60 GB Agility 3 (OS Drive) Hitachi 3TB (TV Buffer and Recording) LG Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseAudioAudio
58" Samsung Plasma DH101 Polk CS2 (Center) Polk Monitor 70 (FL/FR) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Monitor 60 (RL/RR) Polk Monitor 40 (Surround L/R) Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Onkyo HT-RC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9550 G51VX nVidea 260m 4GB DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120 GB Agility 3 (OS/Programs Drive) 320GB 7200rpm (VM and Data Drive) Windows 7 Ultimate 1920 x 1080 (came with 1366 x 768) 
Case
Ventilated Bottom of Laptop Housing 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Unamed
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 - 3913B269 Foxxconn Bloodrage Sapphire 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 BIOS 6GB G-Skill Trident 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x OCZ Vertex 2 160GB in RAID 0 Samsung Swiftech H2O-320 W7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 24" AL2423Wdr Acer 24" P243W DAS Model S & Cherry My 7000 Seasonic 860wt Platinum+ 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
In progress R.A.T. 7 Creative Titanium HD Fiio E9 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AH-D2000 AKG Q701 Grado SR225i Audio-Technica ATH-A900 
Audio
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
e5700 HD6670 Ceton InfiniTV 4 4GB G-Skill DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
60 GB Agility 3 (OS Drive) Hitachi 3TB (TV Buffer and Recording) LG Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorCaseAudioAudio
58" Samsung Plasma DH101 Polk CS2 (Center) Polk Monitor 70 (FL/FR) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Polk Monitor 60 (RL/RR) Polk Monitor 40 (Surround L/R) Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Onkyo HT-RC360 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9550 G51VX nVidea 260m 4GB DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
120 GB Agility 3 (OS/Programs Drive) 320GB 7200rpm (VM and Data Drive) Windows 7 Ultimate 1920 x 1080 (came with 1366 x 768) 
Case
Ventilated Bottom of Laptop Housing 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security