Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Eurogamer] Blizzard "surprised" by Diablo 3 outrage

17K views 199 replies 113 participants last post by  chia233 
#1 ·
SOURCE

Quote:

Blizzard was surprised by the reaction to the news that upcoming PC game Diablo 3 cannot be played offline.
Earlier this week Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 requires an internet connection to play at all times â€" sparking an outpouring of anger from PC gamers.
"I'm actually kind of surprised in terms of there even being a question in today's age around online play and the requirement around that," Robert Bridenbecker, Vice President of Online Technologies at Blizzard, told MTV Multiplayer.
"We've been doing online gameplay for 15 years now... and with World of Warcraft and our roots in Battle.net and now with Diablo 3, it really is just the nature of how things are going, the nature of the industry.

It seems DRM never came up when they discussed this internally, and were instead focusing on the sanctity of gameplay: no hacks, no dupes, and so on. With online play, they can protect from such things much more easily, apparently.

See less See more
#2 ·
The university I went to had most online gaming blocked from their campus network. Stuff like Diablo 3 can't be played if you lived in the dorms. Made me mad when the Orange Box required Steam because Steam was blocked. I had those games for a good four months before I finally got my PC off-campus to install it all.

I know they're assuming everyone has decent always-connected unblocked broadband, but that's just not the case in the US yet.

#7 ·
They are truly surprised that people are upset that they can't play the single player (which doesn't need to be bot proof) can't be played offline. Where exactly did they have their heads buried or shoved up?

Multiplayer I can completely agree with some fo the things they are doing to make a more secure/fair gaming environment, but D2 has single player which you could play in open bnet (which was unsecure) and multiplayer which you could play in closed bnet. Now how exactly was doing that again rather then this new crap all that challenging?

#10 ·
LOL the only reason it didn't come up because without it they can't have their cake AND eat it too.
With the whole digital marketplace thing going, they want to make sure the items hold their value so they can skim their chunk from the transaction. Why do they even try dancing around the truth, just tell us we can handle it.
My interest declined long long ago and now I simply could care less, I will not have money to spend on virtual items nor will I be interested in competing with others to sell them and that's really what this game will become the way they have it set up. You think people raged before wait 'till you add actual currency value to the stuff it's going to get real ugly and fast.
The fun of games is being sucked out by greed, playing games should not be profitable.
I almost get the feeling as though a huge company is moving into town and everyone is applying for the job with $60 cash and well the risk of losing that $60 is too high so I'll keep it and go apply somewhere else (play a fun stress free game).

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tchernobyl
View Post

SOURCE

It seems DRM never came up when they discussed this internally, and were instead focusing on the sanctity of gameplay: no hacks, no dupes, and so on. With online play, they can protect from such things much more easily, apparently.

Didn't I say that like...//yesterday//?

They overhauled Battle.net for a very good reason and Diablo 3 was one of them.

If you guys think they're going to spend millions of dollars on software dev. and then NOT use Battle.net, you're insane.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masked
View Post

If you guys think they're going to spend millions of dollars on software dev. and then NOT use Battle.net, you're insane.

Oh, I agree, and I'm in favor of it as well. Or rather, I don't mind. I do kinda see the problem with it (no guarantee of a good connection = no playing which is ftl), but...

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerian
View Post

Because you have to pay a game to play it !
Nowadays ALL games are getting cracked whatever the protection is ! If the DRM is able to prevent that, so I'm 100% in favor.

But DRMs can't, and it only hurts the BUYERS not the pirates -_-. I'm in a similar situation with one of the posters above, since my boarding house blocks such ports and this affects me a lot o_O

Also, why should anyone care about cheating in SINGEPLAYER

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masked
View Post

I've seen what blizzard did with their sc2 Battle.net 2.0, and absolute garbage. It is far more inferior than the original.

#18 ·
Quote:

View Post

Because you have to pay a game to play it !
Nowadays ALL games are getting cracked whatever the protection is ! If the DRM is able to prevent that, so I'm 100% in favor.

You actually think this is going to stop the gaming being pirated?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth
View Post

I don't see a problem with this.

This game is purely designed and geared towards being an MMORPG.

Playing offline is completely pointless, unrewarding and not very entertaining in my opinion.

Yeah, even the design looks like cartoon-ish WoW. The original gritty D2 is gone, along with its developers.

#21 ·
Quote:

View Post

I'm in favor of this DRM !

Less cheaters/hackers, more pleasure to play a fair game !

+1, I hate cheaters in games, I'm all for it as long as it gets rid of these guys who ruin the game experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeKlok
View Post

You actually think this is going to stop the gaming being pirated?

I don't care if they pirate/hack the game, as long as they're not doing it on the servers I'm playing on.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SafeKlok
View Post

And you need this in single player because...?

Wait... people actually play Diablo single player?
That sounds horrendously boring.

Also side note for a lot of people, just because a game can be played with 1 person doesn't make it "single player".

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangers_low
View Post

I've seen what blizzard did with their sc2 Battle.net 2.0, and absolute garbage. It is far more inferior than the original.

SC2 at first had problems, yes but, it wasn't because of inferiority...They didn't expect the sheer number of consumers they had.

Much like Google, they didn't anticipate the millions that actually purchased the game...

They've since fixed that (you'd know if you still played) and actually have a very good service going on right now.

The same will be true of D3...Just because something isn't working immediately, doesn't mean it won't eventually...Anyone say the Wright brothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.