Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Scorpio Black 320GB or OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for laptop?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scorpio Black 320GB or OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for laptop?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I just ordered a lenovo x120e, which takes forever to come, and I wanted to know if it was better to swap the 250GB it has for a WD Scorpio Black (7,200 rpm) 320GB or an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB?

And is it better to keep the Vertex or the Scorpio Black in my desktop (see sig specs)?

What would you do?

Thanks!
post #2 of 9
Personally, I would put in an SSD, but I would stay away from the Vertex 2. Obviously you will be paying for it in price, but will see massive gains in performance, durability, and even battery life. Also the "skipping" that may happen with traditional hard drives will be gone. Say you are listening to music or watching a video when either riding in a car or subway, or walking aroud, the msuic will often skip or freeze for a second, when the head of the hard drive get shaken. I love my vertex 2 to death, makes everything awesome, but I would recommend the Intel 320 series for your situation. The current Vertex 2s are on a new manufacturing process, and they have been having high failure rates. OCZ switched the process without changing the model number and it caused the failure rates to jump very high. Just check out the reviews on Newegg.

I would recommend the Intel 320 series since they are reasonably priced, have better reliability, come with a 3 or 5 year warranty (I forget), and use less power than the vertex 2. The vertex 2 can use up to 2 watts while seeking, whereas the 320 uses like 150 milliwatts. These both may sound like small numbers, but the intel is using like twelve times less power, which can definately make an improvement on battery life. Plus the intel comes with a migration kit, with everything you need to transfer your files from the old hard drive to the new. It comes with migration software, as well as the cords you need to hook the SSD up to a USB port to transfer the files. The read and write times may be a little slower on this drive, but I think it is still the better choice. It will be way better than a taditional hard drive, thats for sure!

Hope this helps mate

EDIT: It just occured to me that you already own these two drives, and are not looking for advice to buy a new drive... If you are only choosing between the Scorpio black and the vertex 2, I think you should stick with the scorpio, 60GB is way too small to be the only drive in a laptop. Windows will use up half of that and after you put programs and things on, you wont have any room for music, movies or anything. Soo if those are the only choices, then do that, otherwise, if you are willing to drop the cash on a new SSD (a little over 200 for the 120GB Intel 320 series) my prior advice still stands . If your laptop has Sata III (6Gbps) you could check out the 510 series, if you are very concerned about speeds. It has the same perks as the 320, only it will have much faster read and write speeds, as it takes advantage of the greater bandwith of SATA 3. I would say most laptops still dont have this capability, just something to think about! Whoops, didnt realize I wrote this much XD
Edited by Shadow_Foxx - 8/5/11 at 1:10pm
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Foxx View Post
Personally, I would put in an SSD, but I would stay away from the Vertex 2. Obviously you will be paying for it in price, but will see massive gains in performance, durability, and even battery life. Also the "skipping" that may happen with traditional hard drives will be gone. Say you are listening to music or watching a video when either riding in a car or subway, or walking aroud, the msuic will often skip or freeze for a second, when the head of the hard drive get shaken. I love my vertex 2 to death, makes everything awesome, but I would recommend the Intel 320 series for your situation. The current Vertex 2s are on a new manufacturing process, and they have been having high failure rates. OCZ switched the process without changing the model number and it caused the failure rates to jump very high. Just check out the reviews on Newegg.

I would recommend the Intel 320 series since they are reasonably priced, have better reliability, come with a 3 or 5 year warranty (I forget), and use less power than the vertex 2. The vertex 2 can use up to 2 watts while seeking, whereas the 320 uses like 150 milliwatts. These both may sound like small numbers, but the intel is using like twelve times less power, which can definately make an improvement on battery life. Plus the intel comes with a migration kit, with everything you need to transfer your files from the old hard drive to the new. It comes with migration software, as well as the cords you need to hook the SSD up to a USB port to transfer the files. The read and write times may be a little slower on this drive, but I think it is still the better choice. It will be way better than a taditional hard drive, thats for sure!

Hope this helps mate
Thanks! I already have the vertex 2 and it's a good SSD, although I've heard about the high failing rates. :S
Edited by HopeUTKN - 8/5/11 at 1:11pm
post #4 of 9
I was in the exact same situation a month ago. I opted for the SSD over the 7200RPM HDD because of speed, and because SSDs can take bumps better than traditional hard drives. I carry a portable external to hold my media. It works for me, but obviously it depends on your situation. Hope that helps.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8500 E0 @ 4.37GHz 1.328V Gigabyte EP45-UD3P SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 702-1160 G Skill PI 2x2GB/2x1GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 500GB/WD 640GB Black/WD 160GB Blue 2x LG Lightscribe 22x DVD Combos W7 Professional 64bit/Ubuntu Studio 10.04 64bit Asus PW201 20" VA-Type 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Kingwin Mach 1 800W "Afterburner Midnight" CM Centurion 590 Mod Razer Death Adder LH 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series NP+ 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8500 E0 @ 4.37GHz 1.328V Gigabyte EP45-UD3P SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 702-1160 G Skill PI 2x2GB/2x1GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 500GB/WD 640GB Black/WD 160GB Blue 2x LG Lightscribe 22x DVD Combos W7 Professional 64bit/Ubuntu Studio 10.04 64bit Asus PW201 20" VA-Type 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Kingwin Mach 1 800W "Afterburner Midnight" CM Centurion 590 Mod Razer Death Adder LH 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series NP+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeUTKN View Post
Thanks! I already have the vertex 2 and it's a good SSD, although I've heard about the high failing rates. :S
Yea, its too bad, they are great drives... Just a question, why do you have a scorpio in your desktop?
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
I'm using the Vertex 2 as a boot-drive for a HTPC and also in my sig rig. I haven't had a problem with either of them. The one in the HTPC is a year old and the sig rig's I got last December.
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizo View Post
I'm using the Vertex 2 as a boot-drive for a HTPC and also in my sig rig. I haven't had a problem with either of them. The one in the HTPC is a year old and the sig rig's I got last December.
I believe the drives produced with the new process began being phased in around march/april/may, so yours should work great, just like mine
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
POLARIS
(14 items)
 
Red Alert SR-1
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570k 4.5Ghz 1.25v AsRock z77E-ITX XFX Reference 2GB 6950 1015/1500 1.255v 8gb Gskill Trident X 2400 C10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Ek Supreme HF White Acetal/EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Dell U2913WM 2560x1080 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w Caselabs Mercury S3 Logitech G500 Fiio E10k USB DAC 
Audio
Creative Aurvana Live! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955 BE (4.4Ghz @1.52v) NB @ 2870 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 [F4] Dual Reference XFX 2GB 6950s (950/1437) 1.25v 8GB Gskill DDR3 1333 CL7 @1412 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Vertex II 60GB, 2x Caviar Black EK Supreme HF, EK FC 6970 Windows 7 Ultimate Alienware AW2210 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair 650TX Cooler Master Storm Scout Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Ah, that would explain it then. I love the Vertex 2.
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Foxx View Post
Yea, its too bad, they are great drives... Just a question, why do you have a scorpio in your desktop?
Well, why not? it's fun having a small HDD in a big case and btw, I already have the HDD and SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Foxx View Post
I believe the drives produced with the new process began being phased in around march/april/may, so yours should work great, just like mine
I heard there were three generations of the vertex 2 SSDs and that only the first 2 generations were stable (I have second generation).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Scorpio Black 320GB or OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for laptop?