Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › My RAID 0 results, first time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My RAID 0 results, first time

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Ok so I'm relatively new to this, but I've had a pair of Intel 320 series 40GB SSD's in RAID 0 for a while now and I decided to benchmark them with Atto:

atto_bmark.JPG

I picked up another 320 series 120GB SSD yesterday because I am constantly running out of space on this setup. My plans are to re-install Windows 7 on this new drive and take the 40GB drives and use one as a bitlocker volume for secure data storage, and the other for some of my games.

I am almost willing to bet however that I won't see the same type of performance in comparison the the RAID 0 setup? I can't afford another SSD anytime soon, so I'm kinda stuck with what I have frown.gif
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by digilink;14484963 
Ok so I'm relatively new to this, but I've had a pair of Intel 320 series 40GB SSD's in RAID 0 for a while now and I decided to benchmark them with Atto:

atto_bmark.JPG

I picked up another 320 series 120GB SSD yesterday because I am constantly running out of space on this setup. My plans are to re-install Windows 7 on this new drive and take the 40GB drives and use one as a bitlocker volume for secure data storage, and the other for some of my games.

I am almost willing to bet however that I won't see the same type of performance in comparison the the RAID 0 setup? I can't afford another SSD anytime soon, so I'm kinda stuck with what I have frown.gif

Sorry if I sound rude, but I can't really spot a question in your post.
What exactly is the point in your post? -- It speaks for itself that one SSD will not outmatch a RAID-0 configuration of two SSD's. Unless those two SSD's are of significantly lower quality.
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Sorry if I sound rude, but I can't really spot a question in your post.
What exactly is the point in your post?

No rudeness detected smile.gif I'm famous for writing random babblings. You more or less answered my question though. The question I had however was would I be better off with a pair of SSD's in RAID 0 or a standalone drive.
Quote:
It speaks for itself that one SSD will not outmatch a RAID-0 configuration of two SSD's. Unless those two SSD's are of significantly lower quality.

I suspected that to be the case so I may be taking a performance hit by doing this. I could buy another 120gb at some point in the future, but they are just so darn expensive. I need the space however, and I gain the benefit of being able to move some of my games to an SSD so that's an increase in performance alone in a sense. They are currently sitting on a 1TB SATA drive at the moment.

I'm going to get started on this here shortly and I'll post my new benchmark after I move everything over to the new drive.
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by digilink;14485040 
No rudeness detected smile.gif I'm famous for writing random babblings. You more or less answered my question though. The question I had however was would I be better off with a pair of SSD's in RAID 0 or a standalone drive.



I suspected that to be the case so I may be taking a performance hit by doing this. I could buy another 120gb at some point in the future, but they are just so darn expensive. I need the space however, and I gain the benefit of being able to move some of my games to an SSD so that's an increase in performance alone in a sense. They are currently sitting on a 1TB SATA drive at the moment.

I'm going to get started on this here shortly and I'll post my new benchmark after I move everything over to the new drive.

Roger that, I see.

It seems you bought the same drive model with higher capacity, usually, higher capacity SSD's run a bit fast, but it shouldn't surpass the speed of the RAID-0 setup.

In that case, I would run Windows and all the critical applications and games on the RAID-0 and less critical but important games on the 120GB, I am, in principle, against storing data on an SSD, since frequent writes seem to wear off the drive faster, if it's important enough data to be encrypted, it's important enough to store it on a conventional harddrive.

Might I also suggest TrueCrypt, as a perfect alternative to BitLocker?
You can hide your data in virtual partitions quite easily and more secure than what BitLocker is able to provide you.
It seems that when somebody retrieves your Windows details, it's a matter of time before they reach your data.

With TrueCrypt this data is hidden, and there's no way of retrieving it without the proper keys. You can even protect the complete system with an added BIOS password, this encrypts your drives completely.

You can download TrueCrypt here: http://www.truecrypt.org/
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Might I also suggest TrueCrypt, as a perfect alternative to BitLocker?
You can hide your data in virtual partitions quite easily and more secure than what BitLocker is able to provide you.
It seems that when somebody retrieves your Windows details, it's a matter of time before they reach your data.

With TrueCrypt this data is hidden, and there's no way of retrieving it without the proper keys. You can even protect the complete system with an added BIOS password, this encrypts your drives completely.

You can download TrueCrypt here: http://www.truecrypt.org/

+1 for TrueCrypt!!! I'm a big TrueCrypt fan and have been using it for years, but wanted to play around with Bit Locker so that's my motivation. I've not used Bit Locker yet.

I'm up on the 120gb drive and it is indeed slower, but satisfiable enough me thinks:

atto_bench2.JPG

I'm going to try both TrueCrypt and Bit Locker and use whichever one is most convenient wink.gif In the end, any true sensitive data I have (which is not a lot, mainly just personal info) is already protected in a TrueCrypt container and stored on an Ironkey flash drive, redundancy certainly can't hurt hehe.
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
digilink-PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1035T ASUS Formula IV XFX 6970 2GB of RAM 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 40GB Intel SSD's in RAID 0, 1 TB drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit/Ubuntu Linux 10.10 2x ASUS VH242H Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 850W Thermaltake Level 10 GT Logitech G70 A freebie :D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › My RAID 0 results, first time