Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM - Page 33

post #321 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtbr View Post
But why do some of you feel the entitlement to use another third party competitors digital distribution platform? I don't understand this mentality. EA is in the business of making money, they want people to use Origin, this is how they do it. Why go through STEAM and give them a slice of the pie when you can do it yourself and build a customer base at the same time? This isnt a democracy, you have no "right" to buy a video game through whatever digital distribution you want.
They're selling it through retail, which takes a bigger slice than Steam does so it's more than JUST about money, it's about them building up Origin to be a competitor to Steam.

Last I checked this is a capitalist democracy, which means I, as the buyer, have the ultimate power in the form of my cash and there are tons of reasons, some petty, some not, why I can choose to buy or not to buy a product. If need be, i can waste my time in the futile effort of putting pressure on a company to come out with a product that suits my tastes.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #322 of 403
So long they don't have a 20friend limit in Origin like BF:BC2 did, then I will give it a shot.
Also the 1-2year rule for the game they have needs to go also. I paid for the game, it should be mine, and I should be able to download it. FOREVER. 8gigs of upload for them is probably like 4cents. Game costs 60bucks, normally 10 is console fee, 7 is shipping and packaging, so right there I can download it like 400 times and they wont lose money compared to a console port.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 evga FTW SLI sapphire ati 5870 reference 2x2gb kingston hyperx 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.75TB over 3 drives Sony 22x DVDRW windows7 pro 64bit Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech g110 Corsair 750w non-modular LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 evga FTW SLI sapphire ati 5870 reference 2x2gb kingston hyperx 2000mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.75TB over 3 drives Sony 22x DVDRW windows7 pro 64bit Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech g110 Corsair 750w non-modular LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 logitech g500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #323 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
So long they don't have a 20friend limit in Origin like BF:BC2 did, then I will give it a shot.
Also the 1-2year rule for the game they have needs to go also. I paid for the game, it should be mine, and I should be able to download it. FOREVER. 8gigs of upload for them is probably like 4cents. Game costs 60bucks, normally 10 is console fee, 7 is shipping and packaging, so right there I can download it like 400 times and they wont lose money compared to a console port.
Except, the game isn't yours, the license to use the software is yours.
Although, I don't agree with their 1 - 2 year limit (is there?) you can't demand to simply redownload it when you wish.
You simply purchase a right to use the license, that doesn't entitle you to the way of distributing. Besides, since you own the license and we live in a digital age, there are many, many, many other sources you can easily retrieve a copy of the game from. Mind you, I still don't approve of their decision, if it is present, simply stating part fact and opinion here.

Just so much as you can't go back to Gamestop after two years demanding a new CD because you lost/destroyed the last one.
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #324 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulThief View Post
Except, the game isn't yours, the license to use the software is yours.
Although, I don't agree with their 1 - 2 year limit (is there?) you can't demand to simply redownload it when you wish.
You simply purchase a right to use the license, that doesn't entitle you to the way of distributing. Besides, since you own the license and we live in a digital age, there are many, many, many other sources you can easily retrieve a copy of the game from. Mind you, I still don't approve of their decision, if it is present, simply stating part fact and opinion here.

Just so much as you can't go back to Gamestop after two years demanding a new CD because you lost/destroyed the last one.
The EULA stating that we 'license' a game is a faux one and courts have recently said as much since we're not required to return our product, nor do we get any support for a new cd/dvd during our time of 'leasing'.

Basically our purchasing of games has all of the pitfalls of both licensing AND owning and almost none of the benefits of either. Eventually shrink wrap EULAs that circumvent US laws regarding fair use and other protectionist measures will be struck down.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 8/9/11 at 11:15am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #325 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post

They're selling it through retail, which takes a bigger slice than Steam does so it's more than JUST about money, it's about them building up Origin to be a competitor to Steam.

Seems EAs problem is the way steam handles DLC, since retail stores do not sell dlc they never get a cut of it, however I believe all games that are on steam have to have their dlc on steam as well, something which EA doesnt like at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julabask View Post
I don't get how any of this is proving your point or making EA look any better to any one of us. If they want to disrespect, and restrict their customers fine, they will get less. Remember the law of any customer support in buisness anywhere, is that "the customer is always right" no matter what the buisness believes otherwise the customer will alway rebel.
Except you guys are not customers cause you already said you are not buying the game, the people who buy this game despite it not being steam are the customers and are entitled to support from EA not you. Releasing a game on a competitors client is not customer support and thats what this thread is about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtarmanrob View Post
If the main concern is EA screwing up the origin service and losing or removing your download, surely then the retail hard copy would remove this issue?
This /end thread
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #326 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Obviously it isn't if someone doesn't grasp the point after 5 pages.



This is actually pretty mild and there's a point behind it. Normally though its people yelling "OMG FAIL!" for 20 pages because a direct x version isn't being used or b/c they can't zoom in to count the stripes on a bee.



They're selling it through retail, which takes a bigger slice than Steam does so it's more than JUST about money, it's about them building up Origin to be a competitor to Steam.

Last I checked this is a capitalist democracy, which means I, as the buyer, have the ultimate power in the form of my cash and there are tons of reasons, some petty, some not, why I can choose to buy or not to buy a product. If need be, i can waste my time in the futile effort of putting pressure on a company to come out with a product that suits my tastes.
I don't know if you didn't read my post or felt like reiterating what I said but ok. Vote with your wallet don't buy it. I know you all will though.
post #327 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post
This /end thread
Wrong, why do we have to deal with a physical disk and keep track of it when steam keeps it all in one place, never deleted. I have lost track of how many games I have lost while moving. Since I started using steam I never lost a game or cd key. I have it ready to play with a click of button. Don't need to worry about updating the game either because I know everything is up to date.

The issue here that a lot of people don't want to switch over is because they invest so much into steam. Not just games but also friends. Now you have two clients to manage games and friends in. Which is fine, but what if every company did this? want their own "steam" service. Now everyone will be managing 8 different clients for their games and friends.

I am not saying they shouldn't have started origin, all I am saying is give the customers the option to choose which download service they want to use. The EA/Steam issue isn't because steam doesn't want to cooperate with them, you would be stupid to think so. EA doesn't want steam to have its games because it knows steam is will get majorities of the sale and won't boost origin success. Which is fine, as long as you come out saying that, not pointing fingers and saying steam does not want to cooperate with us.
K Series
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.1 GTX 970  GSkillz 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
M500 128GB Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung 23" EDGE 750W 
Case
Fractal R4 
  hide details  
Reply
K Series
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.1 GTX 970  GSkillz 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
M500 128GB Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung 23" EDGE 750W 
Case
Fractal R4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #328 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post
This /end thread
Lol no. Have fun reinstalling your games when you format. You don't have to do that with Steam. You don't even need to use the Steam backup. Just move the Steam directory to new computer. Steam will auto populate the registry and reinstall games automagically.

That's the main advantage Steam has for me over any other download service like Direct2Drive, GFWL, etc. No one ever talks about it though.

Steam is the future for people who use SSD for boot drives also. Putting Steam on external drive is also much easier.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 750 4.01ghz at 1.27v MSI P55 GD-80 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB + EVGA 9800GT Physx G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial 128gb Real SSD, WD Black 500gb, 750gb LG DVD combo Windows 7 Ultimate 64 / Arch Linux x64 22" Acer 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Corsair 600t 
  hide details  
Reply
post #329 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulThief View Post
But, since DICE is part of EA, how will your trust towards EA improve if it's released on STEAM.

If EA decides to close the master server, regardless, if it's on STEAM you're screwed anyway. Regardless of what distributor is being used, you will still have to deal with EA, one way or another.

The only comment that holds any merrits is the fact you prefer STEAM for convenience, that's your right, and not debatable.
Simply refusing to purchase a game because of a switch in your preferred distributor seems very weird to us, who don't see a distributor as a selling point for a game.

You haven't been reading the last posts, have you ?


I'll recap my own posts and others' posts so far:

You have to make a distinction here: some people will not buy it at all, others admit the possibility, but will do it at retail, thus avoiding Origin as a digital store.

1. You can still buy it at retail, and use Origin solely as an activation method; that way they cannot legally (otherwise it would be a fraud) count a retail sale as a digital sale; and you still get to support DICE, while at the same time:

a) Not have the eventual problem of EA not giving you your game if you were to buy it digitally through Origin, like has happened to Pionnerisloud;

b) Not having the problem of them revoking any download right or claiming expiring licensing rights, because you have a hard copy of the game;

c) you don't have any download problems - related to downloading itself or language related, or even currency related (charging you in Euros even though you might be in South America, for example) if you are in / working in another country;


2. If it were to come to Steam, you'd have the additional benefits:

a) EA would improve their reputation by not forcing you to buy DLC's through Origin, which in the cases I meant above in 1. c) might actually mean the difference between being able to buy them or not;

b) Steam lets you download games without a time limit or whenever they update their content delivery engine; they don't remove games like EA;

c) Steam will not close your account if you don't use it for two years like Origin. That would be the same as saying that if you chose to ride a bicycle for two years, the car company will collect you car because you haven't used it. I even admit them disabling your account after that period, with you paying a fee to reestablish it, but like it is now you lose your games! How on earth is that even remotely fair ? If I buy a retail copy of a game I'll have it forever.


As to your argument of EA closing the master server, I suppose BF3 wil have dedicated servers for online gaming right ? And even if you or a third party can't host your own servers, this problem of deactivating servers after a few years is not exclusive to EA and is really not the main reason for not trusting them because if there is enough audience playing the game, they will keep the servers running; anyway you will always be able to play single player.


The problem with your argument is that you are referring to this as merely a switch in distributor, which in fact it is not; as EA say themselves, they want to build an ongoing direct relationship with their customers.

This it not the same thing as you going to a retail store and buying a retail copy and never going back to that store again. So, if EA wants to establish an ongoing direct relationship with you, they better prove themselves trustworthy.

And to my best knowledge, they are off to a horrible start. Origin is still in Beta and nobody knows if it will be ready by the time they release BF3. How are you supposed to so willingly trust a company with EA's track record like this ?
Edited by tpi2007 - 8/9/11 at 12:41pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 750 Ti TF Gaming 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 1TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
Reply
post #330 of 403
I think this has gone on long enough. Let's get this off the front page and home page already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM