Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM - Page 34

post #331 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham View Post
Lol no. Have fun reinstalling your games when you format. You don't have to do that with Steam. You don't even need to use the Steam backup. Just move the Steam directory to new computer. Steam will auto populate the registry and reinstall games automagically.

That's the main advantage Steam has for me over any other download service like Direct2Drive, GFWL, etc. No one ever talks about it though.

Steam is the future for people who use SSD for boot drives also. Putting Steam on external drive is also much easier.
So you dont want origins but you want DD, then get it off D2D or just deal with origins? All I see from this thread is if its not on steam I am not getting it, it has nothing to do with DD, Origins, EA or BF3. origins allows u to DL the game through them and then turn it off even less intrusive than steam, or u can activate ur retail key on origins.

Steam has done its fairshare of uncalled for bans; 2500 mw2 players if anyone remembers? Or lets not forget how steam advertised for the longest time that MOH purchasers would get a bf3 beta key and that disappeared too.

The simple fact is the people whining want their little icon and hours played to show to everyone and another game to pad their vast steam list, they dont really care much about the actual game. These same people will then go to rant how stupid console trophies and achievements are without looking in the mirror. The way the rest of us see it a company makes a good product we will buy, a company makes a crap product dont buy. I guess you will miss out on some good games due to steam; blizzard games, minecraft, etc or most of you guys are just full of it and will end up buying the game anyways /cough MW2 boycott. I used to be one of these people until I realized how the Battlefield series stomps any valve game into ground imo and how BF3 is offering more PC features than any Valve game in recent memory, my loyalty is to them and PC gaming and not steam.
Edited by sausageson - 8/9/11 at 12:15pm
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #332 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post
Like I said, if it wasn't for Origin, I would buy it in a heart beat. Even if it wasn't on Steam, as long as it wasn't tied to Origin, I would buy it. I don't need or want another game management/download client. It's fine if you don't understand or agree with that sentiment. I am sure it will be a great game so enjoy it when it comes out.
My disagreement doesn't lie where you want to buy from, that your choice. To summarize, if BF3 "was" on Steam, this thread would have a different title, and the comments within it would be about other reasons of why people aren't buying it. It doesn't matter what the reason is, PC gamers will find a reason to not buy or speak negatively about a game. The first AAA FPS that is PC first in years, still cannot rise above the skepticism of the PC community.
Render Bender
(10 items)
 
On The Move
(11 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel X5690 Xeon (12 Cores @ 3.46) Nvidia Titan Xp 64GB 1333MHz ECC DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB x2 - RAID 0 
MonitorCaseAudio
Samsung UN40JU6700 40" 4K Curved Apple Mac Pro 2010 Klipsch 2.1 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Nvidia GeForce 9400M 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Toshiba 500GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Mavericks 10.9 Dell U3011 Rosewill Mech Reds 2010 Unibody 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Multi-Touch Kilpsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Render Bender
(10 items)
 
On The Move
(11 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel X5690 Xeon (12 Cores @ 3.46) Nvidia Titan Xp 64GB 1333MHz ECC DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB x2 - RAID 0 
MonitorCaseAudio
Samsung UN40JU6700 40" 4K Curved Apple Mac Pro 2010 Klipsch 2.1 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Nvidia GeForce 9400M 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Toshiba 500GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Mavericks 10.9 Dell U3011 Rosewill Mech Reds 2010 Unibody 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Multi-Touch Kilpsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #333 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post
My disagreement doesn't lie where you want to buy from, that your choice. To summarize, if BF3 "was" on Steam, this thread would have a different title, and the comments within it would be about other reasons of why people aren't buying it. It doesn't matter what the reason is, PC gamers will find a reason to not buy or speak negatively about a game. The first AAA FPS that is PC first in years, still cannot rise above the skepticism of the PC community.
Rep+ couldnt have put it better myself

PC gamers will always find a reason to whine about a game no matter if the moon was offered to them. Alot of favoritism too for certain companies despite if they churn out mediocre games or not. Anyone remember the Skyrim thread where when they first showed footage the OCN community was remarking how breathtaking it was, however when they said the game wouldnt be full utlizing dx10 and 11 the same people were commenting how ugly the game looked and how it was a console port.
Edited by sausageson - 8/9/11 at 12:20pm
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #334 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post
Seems EAs problem is the way steam handles DLC, since retail stores do not sell dlc they never get a cut of it, however I believe all games that are on steam have to have their dlc on steam as well, something which EA doesnt like at all.
Yet the Sims 3's latest DLC is on Steam....
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #335 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Yet the Sims 3's latest DLC is on Steam....
Is EA using BF3 as a Trojan Horse for Origin? Yes.
Did they copy this tactic from Valve? Yes.
Do people have a choice where they want to buy from? Yes.
Will BF3 be awesome no matter where you buy it from? Yes.

I think that covers everything.
Render Bender
(10 items)
 
On The Move
(11 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel X5690 Xeon (12 Cores @ 3.46) Nvidia Titan Xp 64GB 1333MHz ECC DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB x2 - RAID 0 
MonitorCaseAudio
Samsung UN40JU6700 40" 4K Curved Apple Mac Pro 2010 Klipsch 2.1 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Nvidia GeForce 9400M 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Toshiba 500GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Mavericks 10.9 Dell U3011 Rosewill Mech Reds 2010 Unibody 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Multi-Touch Kilpsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Render Bender
(10 items)
 
On The Move
(11 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel X5690 Xeon (12 Cores @ 3.46) Nvidia Titan Xp 64GB 1333MHz ECC DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB x2 - RAID 0 
MonitorCaseAudio
Samsung UN40JU6700 40" 4K Curved Apple Mac Pro 2010 Klipsch 2.1 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Nvidia GeForce 9400M 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Toshiba 500GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Mavericks 10.9 Dell U3011 Rosewill Mech Reds 2010 Unibody 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Multi-Touch Kilpsch 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #336 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post
Is EA using BF3 as a Trojan Horse for Origin? Yes.
Did they copy this tactic from Valve? Yes.
Do people have a choice where they want to buy from? Yes.
Will BF3 be awesome no matter where you buy it from? Yes.

I think that covers everything.
I'm simply pointing out EA's holes in their reasoning behind pulling stuff from Steam.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #337 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosha69 View Post
I think this has gone on long enough. Let's get this off the front page and home page already.
With all due respect, you don't necessarily have to come in the thread if you don't want but yeah should maybe be moved.

And I appreciate the support sausageson but my comment wasn't intended to "end thread" I was just querying the use of a hard copy, which theoretically does eliminate the problem of EA removing or preventing the digital version of the game.

But it raises the other issue of people not wanting a hard copy to carry around, comes down to convenience. Which I understand, I havnt redownloaded a steam game for a long time since I have nearly every steam title backed up on a separate hdd, the beauty of steam.

But the issue of not trusting/wanting to support EA, and the issue of not wanting to carry around a hard copy, are completely unrelated an shouldn't be mixed up.

At the end of the day, it seems there are 3 sides to this story. People like myself who want this game bad and will get it any way we choose since as long as we have it, it's no big deal, disc, origin, whatever.

You have those that may want the game but refuse to support the providing company.

And you have those that don't really care about the game, they just want it on steam otherwise no big loss to them.

Each side is a separate argument in itself and is why the discussion will never come to an actual end.

I believe it's in a permanent stalemate. Being in the side im on, wanting the game bad enough I'll do whatever is required so I can play, I can understand the second group, they have their reasons, fine.

To me the third group is silly. Just coz it's not on steam it's too hard/not interested/cya later. Those people obviously don't want the game anyway, that's fair enough but say that, don't use steam/origin as an excuse to complain. It's not them it's you.

I guess I see things a bit different regarding retail and digital copies coz for me grown up and playing games meant floppy disc installs and discs and CDs everywhere. It's nice to have that all cleaned up now but no way I'd ever let it stop me getting a game I wanted. Key word want.

And coming from someone who has had drawers and drawers full of discs and crap, seriously, it's not THAT hard ay, especially for ONE game now and then. But thats my take on it and that's the reason why im chosen to preorder the retail copy and be a part of it from day 1, and I can't wait
Dr. Gonzo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Gigabyte X79-UD3 ASUS GTX Titan X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" Tesoro Durandal Silverstone 850w Strider 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec Eleven Hundred Logitech G502 Creative SoundBlaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
Dr. Gonzo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Gigabyte X79-UD3 ASUS GTX Titan X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" Tesoro Durandal Silverstone 850w Strider 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec Eleven Hundred Logitech G502 Creative SoundBlaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #338 of 403
What happened to the days when people judged games from its own merits rather than what its launch program was?

Dx11 support yes

64 players yes

Larger maps for PC yes

Servers yes

Jets yes

Any true Battlefield fan would get this game regardless of what its launch program was, anyone else who doesnt because of the steam issue probably was on the fence in the first place and would have found some other reason to whine. All I can say is your missing out on what looks to be best PC game in years.
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #339 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
You haven't been reading the last posts, have you ?


I'll recap my own posts and others' posts so far:

You have to make a distinction here: some people will not buy it at all, others admit the possibility, but will do it at retail, thus avoiding Origin as a digital store.

1. You can still buy it at retail, and use Origin solely as an activation method; that way they cannot legally (otherwise it would be a fraud) count a retail sale as a digital sale; and you still get to support DICE, while at the same time:

a) Not have the eventual problem of EA not giving you your game if you were to buy it digitally through Origin, like has happened to Pionnerisloud;

b) Not having the problem of them revoking any download right or claiming expiring licensing rights, because you have a hard copy of the game;

c) you don't have any download problems -related to downloading itself or language related, or even currency related (charging you in Euros even though you migh be in South America, for example) if you are in / working in another country;


2. If it were to come to Steam, you'd have the additional benefits:

a) EA would improve their reputation by not forcing you to buy DLC's through Origin, which in the cases I meant above in 1. c) might actually mean the difference between being able to buy them or not;

b) Steam lets you download games without a time limit or whenever they update their content delivery engine; they don't remove games like EA;

c) Steam will not close your account if you don't use it for two years like Origin. That would be the same as saying that if you chose to ride a bicycle for two years, the car company will collect you car because you haven't used it. I even admit them disabling your account after that period, with you paying a fee to reestablish it, but like it is now you lose your games! How on earth is that even remotely fair ? If I buy a retail copy of a game I'll have it forever.


As to your argument of EA closing the master server, I suppose BF3 wil have dedicated servers for online gaming right ? And even if you or a third party can't host your own servers, this problem of deactivating servers after a few years is not exclusive to EA and is really not the main reason for not trusting them because if there is enough audience playing the game, they will keep the servers running; anyway you will always be able to play single player.


The problem with your argument is that you are referring to this as merely a switch in distributor, which in fact it is not; as EA say themselves, they want to build an ongoing direct relationship with their customers.

This it not the same thing as you going to a retail store and buying a retail copy and never going back to that store again. So, if EA wants to establish an ongoing direct relationship with you, they better prove themselves trustworthy.

And to my best knowledge, they are off to a horrible start. Origin is still in Beta and nobody knows if it will be ready by the time they release BF3. How are you supposed to so willingly trust a company with EA's track record like this ?
Okay, let's see you have an Intel processor.
What about this: Intel Scandal or this: Intel Refuses to pay fine

Let's do a simple Google search for "Steam problems":

So, you run hardware produced by a vendor that practically abused its monopoly status, which in turn forced them to pay 1 bn US dollars to AMD.
You run software from a man, who is practically a thief.
And you seem to blame Origin for issues, too. While Steam has litterally thousand upon thousands of users that apparently have issues with it too.

Oh, did you know, that Steam is allowed to remove your account if you hold one game on that particular account? Or if you have no games at all?

Quote:
C. Termination by Valve.

1. In the case of a recurring payment Subscription (e.g., a monthly subscription), in the event that Valve terminates or cancels your Account or a particular Subscription for convenience, Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide a prorated refund of any prepaid Subscription fees paid to Valve.
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.
3. In the case of a free Subscription, Valve may choose to terminate or amend the terms of the Subscription as provided in the "Amendments to this Agreement" section above.
Also Steam doesn't know currency

Also, VAC Ban <--- Oh, did I mention this cannot be reversed, even if you reported your account as compromised?
You can't even request details of the ban itself, if you receive one, you're screwed.

Case in point, get you head out of the sand, every company has a track record that doesn't make them look good.

Have you taken a look at Valve's track record?

And no, it's rediculously stupid that such a trivial thing as releasing a game on Steam will win the respect and trust back from you.
This is really starting to be idiotic and really pathetic.
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #340 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post
What happened to the days when people judged games from its own merits rather than what its launch program was?

Dx11 support yes

64 players yes

Larger maps for PC yes

Servers yes

Jets yes

Any true Battlefield fan would get this game regardless of what its launch program was, anyone else who doesnt because of the steam issue probably was on the fence in the first place and would have found some other reason to whine. All I can say is your missing out on what looks to be best PC game in years.
What if you like BF but hate what EA does?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [KT] You Can't Buy BF3 on STEAM