Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How does this Overclock work? Possibly help me progress in a way...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How does this Overclock work? Possibly help me progress in a way...

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, i bought this machine (sig rig) prebuilt a while ago and it has an OC on it (which i now regret .... would have done all of it myself now).

Anyway, my temps are freakin too high. When in Prime 95 for half an hour one of the cores reached 90ºC. I am going for a RASA 750 RX240 kit in a few weeks or sooner so i am not going to reinstall the HSF for now. Anyway, i know my voltage is too high. Others have also told me the same. For a 3.6GHz OC i have got 1.32v. I have watched tutorials and read numerous threads but i cant see exactly what the company have done here?

I dont know if its meant to be but i noticed that the CPU ratio setting was set to auto. Now i have watched a video where they dont leave it at auto.

I would be very greatful if someone could help me do one of the following:

-Take the voltage down to 1.28 (I heard 1.28 was a good voltage for this OC).
-Help me get it to 4GHz.....only when i have my WC setup i can do this.

As i regretfully didnt do this OC myself im finding it hard to trace "their" steps therefore could do with a more experienced eye to help me out.

If someone could just explain a little to me about whats actually going on that would be great .

Here are the pics.....let me know if i missed any that!

AI Tweaker





DRAM Timing Control





HW Monitor



Many thanks guys




My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
even on a Noctal which is best air cooler them temps are too high - thermal paste is probs applyed incorrectly - but if you are WC thats all getting taken care of.



4.0 - 200 x 20 and set ram to 1600Mhz core voltage to 1.30

Fequ and multi
CPU ratio = 20
BCLK = 200
DRAM frew = 1600 set after ratio and bclk

uclk and qpi AUTO

Voltages.

CPU - initial 1.3v
DRAM BUS - 1.66 (it will round 1.65 to 1.66)

All other volts to AUTO



Then Prime95 and see if it blue screens if so + the cpu core voltage. Also + cpu core volts if prime terminates a thread with a error.

if not drop the cpu core voltage and then prime again .. you should leave over night to prime, Longer if you can.

also check temps should be 68C ISH on water Quiet Noctua NH-U12 Dual maybe a little more


I have build other 920/930 systems on the p6t and they all like around 1.28 - 1.35 core voltage



Also is that a D0 or C0 stepping, temps and voltage look like C0
Edited by andrewmchugh - 8/6/11 at 8:45am
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Hi guys, i bought this machine (sig rig) prebuilt a while ago and it has an OC on it (which i now regret .... would have done all of it myself now).

Anyway, my temps are freakin too high. When in Prime 95 for half an hour one of the cores reached 90ºC. I am going for a RASA 750 RX240 kit in a few weeks or sooner so i am not going to reinstall the HSF for now. Anyway, i know my voltage is too high. Others have also told me the same. For a 3.6GHz OC i have got 1.32v. I have watched tutorials and read numerous threads but i cant see exactly what the company have done here?

I dont know if its meant to be but i noticed that the CPU ratio setting was set to auto. Now i have watched a video where they dont leave it at auto.

I would be very greatful if someone could help me do one of the following:

-Take the voltage down to 1.28 (I heard 1.28 was a good voltage for this OC).
-Help me get it to 4GHz.....only when i have my WC setup i can do this.
First of all, there is no such thing as good voltage for OC.
But there is a good voltage for YOUR OC set up.
Since every system works/acts differently, there is no set of settings that you can try and work.
You are the only one who can find out what is the best settings for YOUR system.
So you want to make the voltage down to 1.28 then you might have to bring down the clock.
You have to test it and find out how much your cpu can handle with 1.28v.
i5 2500K GTX570HD
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.384V AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) UEFI3.19 EVGA GTX 570HD SC 930/1950 G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 PC12800 2x4GB@1866 9-10-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB, 1x 500GB WD, 2x1TB WD Samsung DL DVD Writer Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Steelseries 6GV2 Rosewill Capstone 650W Corsair 600T White 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries Qck Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
i5 2500K GTX570HD
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.384V AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) UEFI3.19 EVGA GTX 570HD SC 930/1950 G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 PC12800 2x4GB@1866 9-10-9-28 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB, 1x 500GB WD, 2x1TB WD Samsung DL DVD Writer Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VG248QE Steelseries 6GV2 Rosewill Capstone 650W Corsair 600T White 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries Qck Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunagoblin View Post
First of all, there is no such thing as good voltage for OC.
But there is a good voltage for YOUR OC set up.
Since every system works/acts differently, there is no set of settings that you can try and work.
You are the only one who can find out what is the best settings for YOUR system.
So you want to make the voltage down to 1.28 then you might have to bring down the clock.
You have to test it and find out how much your cpu can handle with 1.28v.
yes thats true but 1.3 is a middle of the road voltage on a 4.0 920 its safe and not too low or high and the settings are standard to.. the ram is set correctly ..

I would put money on my "settings working"


At the end of the day chips are all different, Some are Golden cherry picked chips that get very high freqs at a low voltage and low temps .. and then some are dogs, the need tons of voltage, and kick out tons of heat.
Edited by andrewmchugh - 8/6/11 at 8:44am
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post
even on a Noctal which is best air cooler them temps are too high - thermal paste is probs applyed incorrectly - but if you are WC thats all getting taken care of.



4.0 - 200 x 20 and set ram to 1600Mhz core voltage to 1.30

Fequ and multi
CPU ratio = 20
BCLK = 200
DRAM frew = 1600 set after ratio and bclk

uclk and qpi AUTO

Voltages.

CPU - initial 1.3v
DRAM BUS - 1.66 (it will round 1.65 to 1.66)

All other volts to AUTO



Then Prime95 and see if it blue screens if so + the cpu core voltage. Also + cpu core volts if prime terminates a thread with a error.

if not drop the cpu core voltage and then prime again .. you should leave over night to prime, Longer if you can.

also check temps should be 68C ISH on water Quiet Noctua NH-U12 Dual maybe a little more


I have build other 920/930 systems on the p6t and they all like around 1.28 - 1.35 core voltage



Also is that a D0 or C0 stepping, temps and voltage look like C0
Many thanks. I will give this a try. This is my 1st step into OC. Where do i find DRAM bus setting to set to 1.66. Do you understand what the company have done? Why have they set the cpu ratio to auto?

I have been told by a good few that they dont even need 1.32 for 4GHz on this chip.
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Many thanks. I will give this a try. This is my 1st step into OC. Where do i find DRAM bus setting to set to 1.66. Do you understand what the company have done? Why have they set the cpu ratio to auto?
AUTO - Because "The company" are crap please name and shame them

DRAm is on the voltage page, is on your first second screen shot

Quote:
I have been told by a good few that they dont even need 1.32 for 4GHz on this chip
like I said its different on all chips.
Edited by andrewmchugh - 8/6/11 at 9:07am
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
^3
(11 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930K  EVGA x99 Micro EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB Samsung 840 EVO H105 Win 10 ASUS ROG PG279 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky Shine 1 MX-Red Corsair AX 860i  Fractal Design Node 804 Black 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post
AUTO - Because "The company" are crap please name and shame them

DRAm is on the voltage page, is on your first second screen shot

like I said its different on all chips.
Oh ok so the DRAM Bus is the QPI/DRAM Core voltage setting.

It was arbico computers that done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post


Also is that a D0 or C0 stepping, temps and voltage look like C0
What do you mean D0 or C0?
Edited by 8564dan - 8/6/11 at 9:17am
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v Asus P6tD Deluxe ATI 5870 12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 500GB 1TB + 500GB HDD LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW Noctua u12p 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 64Bit Dell u2711 Blackwidow Ultimate EVGA Supernova G2 650w 
CaseMouseAudio
Coolermaster HAF 932 Deathadder 3500dpi KRK Rokit RP6 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How does this Overclock work? Possibly help me progress in a way...