So I've been busy moving and whatnot, so I haven't had much time to work on the project. I'm also waiting on a blade for the table saw for the plywood.
I decided to not trust Home Depot to make the precise cuts, and instead had them just cut the 4 sheets into 4 pieces each.
First I thought I could get away with using a circular saw for the majority of the cuts, but it seems like a table saw will be easier/more accurate.
I ended up building a very crappy support rig since I don't own any proper saw-cutting work area dealy-ma-bob or saw horses.
Since I didn't have a proper area to even MAKE the jig to cut the plywood, it itself came out crooked, unlevel, and unsquare. Oh well, it worked for a couple practice cuts, but I hope I don't have to use it much lol.
I tested out some stains on the plywood to see what I'd end up going with. First picture is "red" mahogany (looks quite brown to me), second is golden oak. I like them both. Not sure which I'll go with but I'm leaning towards the mahogany.
The left sample in both pictures was done using a rag, the 2nd sample was done with a brush. The brush came out darker because there was more stain on the brush than the rag.
Random shot of the table saw. It's in the living room because there's no way in hell I'm working outside in the 115 degree sun. Oddly enough the blade on the table is for the circular saw, and cuts TOO thin. Odd problem to have. The spreader knife on the table saw causes the wood to stop while feeding through. So I had to remove it and the bladeguard. I hope the new blade coming tomorrow won't have this issue. Never thought I'd complain about TOO thin of a kerf.
Ok, so since I have yet to really show how the keyboard tray will work.. here goes some pictures to illustrate.
First of all, the slides for the tray:
They are fully extendable 24" slides rated at 100lbs, so hopefully they hold. The wood for the keyboard tray itself will be ~36" wide x 24" deep.
My step dad helped me work on the actual framing of the keyboard tray rig in his garage. We took a trip to the metal shop and after I cut all the pieces he welded it up. He admits he isn't the best welder, but I could careless, the apparatus itself will mostly be not visible. If you refer to the drawing in my OP you can see the pieces of wood near the center of the desk will cover the metal up on the front.
Anyways, the tray itself was designed by he and I to be height adjustable from floor to table top. The slides themselves mount to a angle piece of aluminum, while the other side of it mounts to the square tube that will slide up and down the legs of the apparatus. The wood from the keyboard tray will sit on top of the angle piece of aluminum.
Slides mounted to the aluminum ^^
I managed to get the slides as close as I could to the edge of the aluminum. It was a bear making sure the holes for the slides were drilled just perfectly. Surprised I managed to pull it off.
Pics of the entire apparatus with sliding posts on legs:
Slide rails mounted to sliding square steel tubing:
Random piece of wood put on top of slides to illustrate keyboard tray:
In the last picture you can see the sliding post sitting part way up the legs
In retrospect I REALLY regret painting the apparatus. I should have just left it plain steel. I just wanted to guard it from corrosion and hide the welds a little better. The problem is that the legs weren't perfectly square so the sliding tube part scratched the hell out of the paint on the legs. I still have to bend the legs a little because it doesn't slide up and down smooth. I'm just afraid because I've bent them a little before and broke the welds, and it had to be redone. Plus with thicker welds now in each corner, it's harder to use a speed square to see if it is infact.. square, so I have to do it by eye.
That's it for now... sorry for the long boring post.