Originally Posted by chinesethunda
good updates, i didn't get a chance to see the other one before but now that i see it it looks good. the keyboard tray is coming along well it seems, i wonder if you are able to get ball bearings from hd or something lol
I think I'll get by fine with the 7 in there. They are just the outer bearings, the inner sliding part has like 20 of its own.
Originally Posted by animal0307
You don't have a saw horse? Or in a pinch you could use milk creates.
Oh ya. Looks cool keep it up
No saw horse, or anything tall enough, wide and strong enough to support the top (it's at least 100 lbs).
Originally Posted by nzftw
btw about the lighting...use CCFL's and just extend the wires ( which you will probably need to do anyway ) which will dull the lighting. obviously the more you extend = the dimmer it will become.
Looks great....i love the dark finish!
Hmm.. that is a possibility.
So I just have a tiny update for now.. I may post another one later or tomorrow. I was just so excited about the 'accident' that happened I had to share immediately.
I picked up these 3/4" x 2.5" x 10 ft solid oak boards from HD the other day (pretty expensive.. like $1.20 per foot). I had planned to cut it down to 1.5" and trim the width down to 1/4 or so and use it as the edge banding for the desk top.
They were so long, I had to turn the table saw sidways, and use the keyboard tray frame + scrap wood, because it would have it the wall going through the saw.
My god there was so much sawdust aspirated from the saw after the first cut, it was nuts. It caused the smoke detector to go off. The entire house is now covered in a 1/16" layer of dust.
ANYWAYS, I was deliberating whether to chance the width rip cut. I was either going to split it right in half and use the piece, or chew off little 1/8" chunks at a time until I got the size I wanted. So as I was feeding the wood through the saw, I noticed the "throwaway piece" was rather thin. I immediately got a huge grin on my face because I realized I could use this as solid wood edge banding. I basically cut my own veneer.
So I rinsed and repeated for the other three pieces.
It matches the plywood beautifully, and is super thin at ~1/16" thick.
I also had a friend come over to help me finish routering the cut out hole. It came out quite well. I just need to file down the round corners to make it perfectly square. There was a minor splintering in the top right of the photo, but it's no big deal. I bought some wood putty for the edge banding, so it'll take care of it.
This was the aftermath of the router:
It's almost a comical amount of dust. That isn't even from the tablesawing that I just did.. that made it even worse. It's going to be one hell of a cleanup.
Also random shot of some awesome 1500 grit I got in the mail yesterday to my delight. $17 for a pack of 25 on Amazon! Hardware stores charge like $7 for 3 sheets.
Short break, then I'm going back to work. I'd like to add another coat of poly on the cabinets, and glue on the edge banding to the desk top tonight.