Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › e5300 @ 4ghz worth upgrading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

e5300 @ 4ghz worth upgrading? - Page 2

post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStranger? View Post
a q8200 is a very good chip,pick one up leave it stock then grab a new mobo later down the road and start overclocking.
I'd take the Q6600 any day over that along with many other members.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 31
In my opinion, if you are a hardcore gamer and only do gaming and just enjoy the gaming experience its better you upgrade your processor. But you play games as a vocational activity, I'd suggest saving up for sometime and get a newer motherboard, cpu and ram. I know it may not be the best options for you at this moment in time.

Frankly speaking, I just made a move from my e7300 @ 4.0Ghz to i5 2500k @3.8Ghz am I was surprised to see no significant difference in my work performance or gaming performance. It is very possible that there is a difference technically. I play Crysis 2, GTA 4, Dirt 2, NFS HP and some other games, maybe there is an increase in fps by about 20% but its not noticeable. This is just my opinion. If you can only upgrade just the processor, q6600 is much better option. Hope this helps.
post #13 of 31
i would say get the q6600. use your mobo and see how far you can push it. If you are not happy, then upgrade your mobo
post #14 of 31
try and get a Q9 for cheap, and obviously you need to upgrade the mobo
Ivy-E Defined
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.5ghz w/ 1.336v RAMPAGE IV FORMULA GTX 980 Jetstream  G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 6TB (Storage) Corsair H80i w/ 2 x SP120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VG278HE  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 - Brown Cherry MX Switch - Green LED Corsair AX860  Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ Window  Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Overclockers Medium Mouse Mat KRK ROKITS Fiio E10K  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy-E Defined
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.5ghz w/ 1.336v RAMPAGE IV FORMULA GTX 980 Jetstream  G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 6TB (Storage) Corsair H80i w/ 2 x SP120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VG278HE  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 - Brown Cherry MX Switch - Green LED Corsair AX860  Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ Window  Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Overclockers Medium Mouse Mat KRK ROKITS Fiio E10K  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan92 View Post
try and get a Q9 for cheap, and obviously you need to upgrade the mobo
Don't they go for $170+ (US) compared to a Q6600 $80+ (US)
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly12 View Post
In my opinion, if you are a hardcore gamer and only do gaming and just enjoy the gaming experience its better you upgrade your processor. But you play games as a vocational activity, I'd suggest saving up for sometime and get a newer motherboard, cpu and ram. I know it may not be the best options for you at this moment in time.

Frankly speaking, I just made a move from my e7300 @ 4.0Ghz to i5 2500k @3.8Ghz am I was surprised to see no significant difference in my work performance or gaming performance. It is very possible that there is a difference technically. I play Crysis 2, GTA 4, Dirt 2, NFS HP and some other games, maybe there is an increase in fps by about 20% but its not noticeable. This is just my opinion. If you can only upgrade just the processor, q6600 is much better option. Hope this helps.
yes, thats spot on mainly although at this moment in time, a complete upgrade is out of the question, my partner's youngest plays a few games as you mentioned and the e5300 copes fine, could be better on games like TF2, and GTA though, and future core demanding games swell which is what brought the q6600 to my attention.

so my choice really is the q6600, a new 1080p monitor, although this isn't exactly a necessary item as my cheap tv does me fine , or as a few people have suggested... both the q6600 and a more decent motherboard.
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
Don't they go for $170+ (US) compared to a Q6600 $80+ (US)
thanks for all the help but I've decided to take the plunge and get together £300 and use my current case and psu and ram and get a asus p8p67 board or I'm looking at a few more for under £120 , and an i5 2500k processor

just gotta get rid of my iPad 2 now... any recommendations on a decent sandy bridge mobo, as i mention above, that seemed an O.K one but my pc knowledge is limited due to my last " proper " involvement was 2003 area using an 1999 athlon
its just there seems to be so many models and prices and half the time i can't see the difference...
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelelf View Post
thanks for all the help but I've decided to take the plunge and get together £300 and use my current case and psu and ram and get a asus p8p67 board or I'm looking at a few more for under £120 , and an i5 2500k processor

just gotta get rid of my iPad 2 now... any recommendations on a decent sandy bridge mobo, as i mention above, that seemed an O.K one but my pc knowledge is limited due to my last " proper " involvement was 2003 area using an 1999 athlon
its just there seems to be so many models and prices and half the time i can't see the difference...
That is a much better decision. You can sell your CPU and mobo for about $70 (US) to recoup some costs. Asus is the king of 1155 right now. The asus p8p67 board is a good board. It has XFire support but not SLI; for that you would want the pro. The gigabyte boards are good too but lack UFI.

Also check the voltage on your ram. It should be 1.65 volts or lower for 1155.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post
That is a much better decision. You can sell your CPU and mobo for about $70 (US) to recoup some costs. Asus is the king of 1155 right now. The asus p8p67 board is a good board. It has XFire support but not SLI; for that you would want the pro. The gigabyte boards are good too but lack UFI.

Also check the voltage on your ram. It should be 1.65 volts or lower for 1155.
thanks for that, was doing some research on eli and fire/crossfire and all the other names and versions! honestly.. i prefer ATI cards anyway, and 2 GPU's is the most ill ever want...
so the p8p67 board, £127 from buyer, pro Rev 3 , thats around my budget and i seem to like asus for some reason.. but that seems the best board for around £150.

forgot about the ram, i got it on the cheap and its 1.5V but i could get £30 for those and invest in some ocz ram as i wouldn't mind some decent ram this time.

so the asus p8p67 pros sorted and the processor, now its time to research a new GPU, although i may stick with my 4870 although I'm worried that may bottleneck..
are p67 the best chipset to go with? i like the sound of the z68 boards, also from asus/asrock..
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
cheap gaming rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e5300 GA-G41MT-ES2l gigabyte HD 4870 2x 2gb kingston 1333mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
300GB sata , 80gb sata 19in tv ( :( ) Windows 7 ultimate 64bit Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelelf View Post
thanks for that, was doing some research on eli and fire/crossfire and all the other names and versions! honestly.. i prefer ATI cards anyway, and 2 GPU's is the most ill ever want...
so the p8p67 board, £127 from buyer, pro Rev 3 , thats around my budget and i seem to like asus for some reason.. but that seems the best board for around £150.

forgot about the ram, i got it on the cheap and its 1.5V but i could get £30 for those and invest in some ocz ram as i wouldn't mind some decent ram this time.

so the asus p8p67 pros sorted and the processor, now its time to research a new GPU, although i may stick with my 4870 although I'm worried that may bottleneck..
are p67 the best chipset to go with? i like the sound of the z68 boards, also from asus/asrock..
The ram is fine and with 1.5v I would just keep it. The next upgrade I am doing which is 1155 I will get a Z68 board. It is like a $10-15 price difference between some boards. It will have a higher resale value later on.

Keep the 4870 for now. It will be a bottleneck in some games but I think it will be enough for you resolution. Is it 512mb or 1 gb?
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › e5300 @ 4ghz worth upgrading?