Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms] Ubisoft: Our Always-Online DRM is a Success
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Toms] Ubisoft: Our Always-Online DRM is a Success - Page 4

post #31 of 117
lol didn't know they kept using it after ac2
First Sys Eva
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-930 @ 4.015Ghz Rampage III Extreme ATI XFX 5970 BE 3 X 2GB [2000Mhz] G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 1TB 7200RPM LG 24x DVDRW Win7 X64 DELL U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Corsair 1000HX CM HAF 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
First Sys Eva
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-930 @ 4.015Ghz Rampage III Extreme ATI XFX 5970 BE 3 X 2GB [2000Mhz] G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 1TB 7200RPM LG 24x DVDRW Win7 X64 DELL U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Corsair 1000HX CM HAF 932 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 117
This kind of DRM is the result of an unfortunate situation. It would be great if people could be trusted. That is to say, if everyone had unimpeachable moral integrity, DRM would be unnecessary. As we all know, that is not the case. There will always people who steal, cheat, and pirate and because of that companies are forced to take steps to protect their property -- intellectual property, in this case. Setting aside the effectiveness of the various versions of DRM we've seen over the years, companies would be remiss if they did not try to protect their property from piracy.

So, who do we blame for the current situation? The companies? No, they're simply trying to protect what is theirs. Software developers spend millions on new products in the hope that, when they finally go on sale at the end of a development cycle, they will be profitable. In other words, they are taking an entrepreneurial risk at a great cost. So, who is left to blame? Paying customers? No again. Paying customers are the ones who encourage developers to create new and innovative products. It is their money that is the incentive for progress and improvement.

Who's left, then? Pirates. Pirates are unscrupulous leeches of little or no moral character. They want something for nothing, and they're willing to break the law to get it. They refuse to acknowledge the hard work, sacrifice, and risk that goes into the development of new products. THEY and nobody else are the cause of our unfortunate DRM situation. So, the next time you find yourself shaking your head or palming your face at the latest DRM efforts by the likes of Ubisoft, remember that you have pirates to thank for them.
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 117
Quote:
Who's left, then? Pirates. Pirates are unscrupulous leeches of little or no moral character. They want something for nothing, and they're willing to break the law to get it. They refuse to acknowledge the hard work, sacrifice, and risk that goes into the development of new products. THEY and nobody else are the cause of our unfortunate DRM situation. So, the next time you find yourself shaking your head or palming your face at the latest DRM efforts by the likes of Ubisoft, remember that you have pirates to thank for them
You can't be saying that on OCN, pirates are heroes and freedom fighters in this community, you know publishers are really evil and are only trying to keep us down right ?

But then they will cry and ask why we only get console ports, and proceed to pirate the next game because "it was a console port", or "it didn't take advantage of my hardware", or the best reason "it wasn't worth my money".
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2danimm View Post
lol didn't know they kept using it after ac2
I didnt know they did this at all until yesterday. I have a lot of free time now, and was thinking of playing the AC games. Glad I found out before I bought any.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post
You can't be saying that on OCN, pirates are heroes and freedom fighters in this community, you know publishers are really evil and are only trying to keep us down right ?

But then they will cry and ask why we only get console ports, and proceed to pirate the next game because "it was a console port", or "it didn't take advantage of my hardware", or the best reason "it wasn't worth my money".
The one I like the best is, "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so it's OK to pirate it." Like I'll walk past a watch store in the mall and steal a Tag Heuer because I wasn't going to buy it anyway!
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 117
The Assassins Creed series are the only games from Ubisoft that I play, and DRM or not I'll play the next AC game.
post #37 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
The one I like the best is, "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so it's OK to pirate it." Like I'll walk past a watch store in the mall and steal a Tag Heuer because I wasn't going to buy it anyway!
Don't even try to compare piracy to theft, 3 differnt guys will write a small book just to demonstrate to you that no harm was done, it's just copyright infrigement and all is well in the world.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K Asus Z97 Pro Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X 16GB GSkil 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001 Seagate 3TB 3000DM001 Plextor PX891SA NH-C12P 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Iiyama XB2783HSU Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000 Corsair TX750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Lancool K62 Logitech G500 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerS_`Archduke` View Post
This kind of DRM is the result of an unfortunate situation. It would be great if people could be trusted. That is to say, if everyone had unimpeachable moral integrity, DRM would be unnecessary. As we all know, that is not the case. There will always people who steal, cheat, and pirate and because of that companies are forced to take steps to protect their property -- intellectual property, in this case. Setting aside the effectiveness of the various versions of DRM we've seen over the years, companies would be remiss if they did not try to protect their property from piracy.

So, who do we blame for the current situation? The companies? No, they're simply trying to protect what is theirs. Software developers spend millions on new products in the hope that, when they finally go on sale at the end of a development cycle, they will be profitable. In other words, they are taking an entrepreneurial risk at a great cost. So, who is left to blame? Paying customers? No again. Paying customers are the ones who encourage developers to create new and innovative products. It is their money that is the incentive for progress and improvement.

Who's left, then? Pirates. Pirates are unscrupulous leeches of little or no moral character. They want something for nothing, and they're willing to break the law to get it. They refuse to acknowledge the hard work, sacrifice, and risk that goes into the development of new products. THEY and nobody else are the cause of our unfortunate DRM situation. So, the next time you find yourself shaking your head or palming your face at the latest DRM efforts by the likes of Ubisoft, remember that you have pirates to thank for them.
Its funny because you're also proving them as saints ; the same people that brought you $10 Disk Locked Content(DLC) , overpriced map packs , online passes , $150 collectors edition games and a buggy and unpolished product.

In the end these companies will follow the same footsteps of the music industry , their own greed will plague their demise - not the pirates.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 1100T @>4Ghz CH Formula IV CF 5850 Winova 2x4GB @ 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Seagate 500GB Acer S243HL 24" Seasonic 850w SF-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 117
A Success? Ha! That's funny because i seem to recall their servers going down and a lot of AC2 players losing their Saves. >_<
~Main~
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4.2Ghz EVGA 780i 2 Nvidia GTX470's SLI 4 Gig Dominator's 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3 x 22 VW226T-TAA Corsair 750tx 
Case
TJ07 :D 
  hide details  
Reply
~Main~
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4.2Ghz EVGA 780i 2 Nvidia GTX470's SLI 4 Gig Dominator's 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD Black 750GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3 x 22 VW226T-TAA Corsair 750tx 
Case
TJ07 :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia233 View Post
Its funny because you're also proving them as saints ; the same people that brought you $10 Disk Locked Content(DLC) , overpriced map packs , online passes , $150 collectors edition games and a buggy and unpolished product.

In the end these companies will follow the same footsteps of the music industry , their own greed will plague their demise - not the pirates.
With no offense intended, your post betrays a general ignorance about business.

First of all, when you go into business, your objective is to make money. This is especially true if the company is publicly traded. In that case the company's management is bound by the 'fiduciary obligation.' That obligation is to maximize shareholder wealth and if the company's management doesn't live up to that obligation, they are neglecting their primary duty.

Second, all of the things you mentioned in your first "paragraph" are products. Businesses offer products to the market in the hopes that people will buy them. If those products are successful, the company will offer them again. The reason downloadable content (whether on the disk or not), paid subscriptions, and collectors' editions exist is because people buy them.

As for buggy, unpolished products, you are judging those products based on your own criteria. While games like Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, for that matter) might be less technically robust than others, they are still successful because they have something unique to offer the market. There is no deception or dishonesty in those kinds of products. With the proliferation of review websites, there should be no surprises when buying a piece of software, particularly a game. If you think a game is over-priced, or doesn't live up to your standards, don't buy it. I don't think that's too hard a concept.

On the topic of greed: Who is being more greedy in the case of software piracy? The company that spends its time and money developing the product and then brings it to market in the hopes that they will make a profit? Or is it the pirate? The one who wants to benefit from the hard work and ingenuity of the developer without paying for the product? I think the answer is obvious.
Edited by SlayerS_`Archduke` - 8/25/11 at 9:24pm
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 950 ASUS Rampage III Formula EVGA GeForce GTX 480 2-Way SLI  6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M4 128GB SATA III LG DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 w/ Shin Etsu 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2361 SteelSeries 7g 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Kingwin Lazer LZ-1000 Corsair Graphite Series 600T WHITE Logitech G500 SteelSeries 4HD 
AudioAudio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms] Ubisoft: Our Always-Online DRM is a Success