Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Wired] Mach 20 Missile Ready for Ultimate Test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Wired] Mach 20 Missile Ready for Ultimate Test - Page 6

post #51 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post
That is why I said multiple missles and also referred to the effect after impact. The shock waves is what will be bad...not the energy of impact. A nuclear blast is mostly heat damage and will not cause much shock to the ground. This is going to be a like a hammer coming down...not much damage under the head of the hammer...but anything in the area gets shook up pretty good.

regardless, it will be a lot of damage that could only come from a massive scale bombing run or else a nuke. A bombing run requires our pilots to fly there which limits the areas of operation and runs the risk of the planes getting shot down before they deliver their payload. A nuke...well, you should know the bad sides of dropping a nuke.
A nuclear blast isn't just heat damage.... there's a massive shock wave and EM pulse.

Energy dispiated into the ground is wasted energy against cities. You want the area of damage to be widespread which would mean energy transfer. i.e. An explosion in the air does more widespread damage that an explosion underground. The only time you want energy focused into the ground is "bunkerbuster" type weapons.

The US does not always need to risk a pilot anymore. We have UAVs and cruise missles.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
A nuclear blast isn't just heat damage.... there's a massive shock wave and EM pulse.

Energy dispiated into the ground is wasted energy against cities. You want the area of damage to be widespread which would mean energy transfer. i.e. An explosion in the air does more widespread damage that an explosion underground. The only time you want energy focused into the ground is "bunkerbuster" type weapons.

The US does not always need to risk a pilot anymore. We have UAVs and cruise missles.
Duck, do you know what the max range of this missile is?
Epic Build! 0.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
{Intel i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz w/ HT} {Asus Rampage III Extreme} {Zotac AMP! + EVGA GTX 480 SLI @ 800/1600/1900} {G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GB DDR3 1605Mhz @ 7-8-7-20-1N} 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
{OCZ Agility 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, F4 2TB RAID1} {Asus DVD+/- RW} {Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit} {Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p} 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
{Logitech G15} {Corsair HX 1000W} {CoolerMaster HAF-X} {Logitech G700} 
Mouse Pad
{Razer Goliathus - Speed} 
  hide details  
Reply
Epic Build! 0.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
{Intel i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz w/ HT} {Asus Rampage III Extreme} {Zotac AMP! + EVGA GTX 480 SLI @ 800/1600/1900} {G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GB DDR3 1605Mhz @ 7-8-7-20-1N} 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
{OCZ Agility 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, F4 2TB RAID1} {Asus DVD+/- RW} {Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit} {Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p} 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
{Logitech G15} {Corsair HX 1000W} {CoolerMaster HAF-X} {Logitech G700} 
Mouse Pad
{Razer Goliathus - Speed} 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post
That is why I said multiple missles and also referred to the effect after impact. The shock waves is what will be bad...not the energy of impact. A nuclear blast is mostly heat damage and will not cause much shock to the ground. This is going to be a like a hammer coming down...not much damage under the head of the hammer...but anything in the area gets shook up pretty good.

regardless, it will be a lot of damage that could only come from a massive scale bombing run or else a nuke. A bombing run requires our pilots to fly there which limits the areas of operation and runs the risk of the planes getting shot down before they deliver their payload. A nuke...well, you should know the bad sides of dropping a nuke.
Kinetic kill vehicles will be used mostly for tactical neutralization of stationary miltary installations. A missile such as this can significantly decrease the time needed for a first strike. Precision disarmament of a country's military is a lot more effective at winning a war.

The most destructive part of a nuclear explosion is the shockwave. Kinetic weapons use shrapnel to take out its target.
Lil Burninator
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K ASUS Gryphon CF R9 290Xs Samsung 4x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 1TB 2x 240s | 360 | MPC35X | Mostly BP W7 Pre x64 XL2720T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
K70 AX1200 CaseLabs S5 + Ped G700/Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Vespula WA7 + KRK RP6s + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
Lil Burninator
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K ASUS Gryphon CF R9 290Xs Samsung 4x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 1TB 2x 240s | 360 | MPC35X | Mostly BP W7 Pre x64 XL2720T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
K70 AX1200 CaseLabs S5 + Ped G700/Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Vespula WA7 + KRK RP6s + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Duck, do you know what the max range of this missile is?
The technologies are classified under "Prompt Global Strike”.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeing Red View Post
The most destructive part of a nuclear explosion is the shockwave. Kinetic weapons use shrapnel to take out its target.
Kinetic weapons use their bodes to take out targets. Generally, they don't want to fragment to form shrapnel but rely on a single (or cluster) of solid objects. i.e. Shooting a really strong spear really really fast.
Edited by DuckieHo - 8/10/11 at 11:50am
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
The technologies are classified under "Prompt Global Strikeâ€.
awww >.<

Well ok that's still good enough to know I guess.


Thanks Duckling!
Epic Build! 0.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
{Intel i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz w/ HT} {Asus Rampage III Extreme} {Zotac AMP! + EVGA GTX 480 SLI @ 800/1600/1900} {G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GB DDR3 1605Mhz @ 7-8-7-20-1N} 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
{OCZ Agility 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, F4 2TB RAID1} {Asus DVD+/- RW} {Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit} {Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p} 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
{Logitech G15} {Corsair HX 1000W} {CoolerMaster HAF-X} {Logitech G700} 
Mouse Pad
{Razer Goliathus - Speed} 
  hide details  
Reply
Epic Build! 0.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
{Intel i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz w/ HT} {Asus Rampage III Extreme} {Zotac AMP! + EVGA GTX 480 SLI @ 800/1600/1900} {G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GB DDR3 1605Mhz @ 7-8-7-20-1N} 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
{OCZ Agility 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, F4 2TB RAID1} {Asus DVD+/- RW} {Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit} {Asus VH242H 23.6" 1080p} 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
{Logitech G15} {Corsair HX 1000W} {CoolerMaster HAF-X} {Logitech G700} 
Mouse Pad
{Razer Goliathus - Speed} 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 82
But you are missing the point...this could still cause massive damage...far more than a cruise missle...and be able to hit dead center Asia if needed. Without killing almost every person on the planet. Which is what any nuclear launch would do.

I still think this thing hitting the ground would cause actual siesmic activity through the surface of the ground and causing a gound shock wave that would topple any building in a fair area. Only way to tell would probably to have it hit land and watch a seismograph.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 82
Anywhere in the world in under 30 minutes... Wonder if any missile defense system could defend against this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post
I still think this thing hitting the ground would cause actual siesmic activity through the surface of the ground and causing a gound shock wave that would topple any building in a fair area. Only way to tell would probably to have it hit land and watch a seismograph.
If doesn't have enough mass to transfer that much energy. Meteorites don't even have that much kinetic energy and they have much more mass and velocity(10-70km/s) than this missile.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 8/10/11 at 12:11pm
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Kinetic weapons use their bodes to take out targets. Generally, they don't want to fragment to form shrapnel but rely on a single (or cluster) of solid objects. i.e. Shooting a really strong spear really really fast.
It depends on the target. Targets such as bunkers would require a singular penetrating mass. There are other designs using several segmented rods for a larger area of effect which would be used on targets such as convoys.
Lil Burninator
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K ASUS Gryphon CF R9 290Xs Samsung 4x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 1TB 2x 240s | 360 | MPC35X | Mostly BP W7 Pre x64 XL2720T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
K70 AX1200 CaseLabs S5 + Ped G700/Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Vespula WA7 + KRK RP6s + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
Lil Burninator
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K ASUS Gryphon CF R9 290Xs Samsung 4x4GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 1TB 2x 240s | 360 | MPC35X | Mostly BP W7 Pre x64 XL2720T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
K70 AX1200 CaseLabs S5 + Ped G700/Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Vespula WA7 + KRK RP6s + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkylad View Post
I have my doubts about this article. Why would the pentagon release information on a missile that can be delivered in 30 minutes unless they had either a defense against it or it was obsolete already?

Still neato.
This was meant as a deterant. If a country knows that it can be attacked within a hour of declaring war theres a very good chance that they wont.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
athlon II x2 2.8:2500k cheapo giabyte:AsRock Extreme3 z68 gigabyte Super overclock 470 880/1760/1800 4 GB "value" ram: G.Skill 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Caviar Black 500GB XP Asus 24" XFX 750W 
Case
690 II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
athlon II x2 2.8:2500k cheapo giabyte:AsRock Extreme3 z68 gigabyte Super overclock 470 880/1760/1800 4 GB "value" ram: G.Skill 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Caviar Black 500GB XP Asus 24" XFX 750W 
Case
690 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 855211 View Post
This was meant as a deterant. If a country knows that it can be attacked within a hour of declaring war theres a very good chance that they wont.
even more so if you can hit any of their troops that are starting to be mobilised within an hour - you could take out their subs while they were being fuelled before they leave ports etc, which wouldn't be possible with other tech.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Wired] Mach 20 Missile Ready for Ultimate Test