Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 2600K - Reasonable settings and temp?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i7 2600K - Reasonable settings and temp? - Page 2

post #11 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;14531862 
Whoa. When you say it was unstable, do you mean not stable enough to run Prime95 Blend for 12 hours, or what do you mean?

Yeap, nothing ever crashed but Prime95 would fail after an hour or two. Don't worry, the chip isn't leaking radioactive goo tongue.gif
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzarix View Post
Yeap, nothing ever crashed but Prime95 would fail after an hour or two. Don't worry, the chip isn't leaking radioactive goo
Radioactive goo. hehe

Well, I just lowered the CPU PLL Voltage to 1.725V. I'll be able to begin a 12-hour Prime95 test in a few hours!
Edited by TwoCables - 8/11/11 at 8:03am
It's a computer!
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Toshiba 3TB P300 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Toshiba 3TB P300 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Radioactive goo. hehe

Well, I just lowered the CPU PLL Voltage to 1.725V. I'll be able to begin a 12-hour Prime95 test in a few hours!
Radioactive goo, lol.

It will be interesting to see your results, I may try 1.40v for the vcore at the very upper limit to see what multiplier I can achieve at the lowest vcore setting after that. Given I'm using offset mode as opposed to fixed mode for the vcore I hope that as the system is idle a lot, or hardly using much CPU a lot of the time, it will help prolong the life of the CPU.

EDIT: I just saw the thread by Juan Jose, very interesting. He also says about decreasing the PLL voltage is possible while keeping system stability. He mentions some other voltages that may be decreasable just like PLL voltage, perhaps some experimentation is worth doing to see if I can cool the CPU slightly more than 73C max. First things first though, I will probably give up to 1.40v on LLC level 3 a try, see what the max multiplier I can get is, then gradually decrease the vcore until I start to see instability and just notch it up one or two from that. The only thing I may have to bear in mind is the max core temperature reached under a Prime95 for 15-30 minutes, as long as I keep it at least below 75-80C.
Edited by Ixel - 8/10/11 at 10:07am
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
Radioactive goo, lol.

It will be interesting to see your results, I may try 1.40v for the vcore at the very upper limit to see what multiplier I can achieve at the lowest vcore setting after that. Given I'm using offset mode as opposed to fixed mode for the vcore I hope that as the system is idle a lot, or hardly using much CPU a lot of the time, it will help prolong the life of the CPU.

EDIT: I just saw the thread by Juan Jose, very interesting. He also says about decreasing the PLL voltage is possible while keeping system stability. He mentions some other voltages that may be decreasable just like PLL voltage, perhaps some experimentation is worth doing to see if I can cool the CPU slightly more than 73C max. First things first though, I will probably give up to 1.40v on LLC level 3 a try, see what the max multiplier I can get is, then gradually decrease the vcore until I start to see instability and just notch it up one or two from that. The only thing I may have to bear in mind is the max core temperature reached under a Prime95 for 15-30 minutes, as long as I keep it at least below 75-80C.
Pretty sound idea, keep us posted on your trials. I've played with lowering the CPU PLL voltage since the very start of my SB overclocking a couple weeks ago. It seems like it keeps my voltage from going higher than my offset +0.004 adittional turbo voltage. Reason why I need the turbo voltage is simply because I cannot turn it off. On Auto it gets very generous with the v while under load after running for a while.
x99 Liquidx
(17 items)
 
Sandy z77 Pro
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k| 4.2Ghz | 1.291v ASRock x99 Professional Fatal1ty / 3.1 EVGA Titan X | EK-FC Copper | EK Backplate 32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3467Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Red 3TB 2.5in HGST 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rasa Dual Bay Reservoir | D5 XSPC RX360 Radiator EK Supremacy EVO | Red XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool UT60 280MM Radiator Windows 10 Pro x64 2 x Dell U2515H @ 75Hz Seasonic 1250XM 
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k | 48x | 1.328v Asrock Fatal1ty z77 Professional Asus DCUII GTX 670 | 2GB | 1254Mhz | 3.48Ghz  8GB Mushkin BL DDR3 | 2133Mhz | 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB  3x Seagate NL35 400GB 7200rpm XSPC Rasa Raystorm Extreme RX360 D5 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 23" 1080p IPS Corsair AX750 80+ Gold NZXT Source 210 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
x99 Liquidx
(17 items)
 
Sandy z77 Pro
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k| 4.2Ghz | 1.291v ASRock x99 Professional Fatal1ty / 3.1 EVGA Titan X | EK-FC Copper | EK Backplate 32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3467Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Red 3TB 2.5in HGST 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rasa Dual Bay Reservoir | D5 XSPC RX360 Radiator EK Supremacy EVO | Red XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool UT60 280MM Radiator Windows 10 Pro x64 2 x Dell U2515H @ 75Hz Seasonic 1250XM 
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k | 48x | 1.328v Asrock Fatal1ty z77 Professional Asus DCUII GTX 670 | 2GB | 1254Mhz | 3.48Ghz  8GB Mushkin BL DDR3 | 2133Mhz | 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB  3x Seagate NL35 400GB 7200rpm XSPC Rasa Raystorm Extreme RX360 D5 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 23" 1080p IPS Corsair AX750 80+ Gold NZXT Source 210 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudX View Post
Pretty sound idea, keep us posted on your trials. I've played with lowering the CPU PLL voltage since the very start of my SB overclocking a couple weeks ago. It seems like it keeps my voltage from going higher than my offset +0.004 adittional turbo voltage. Reason why I need the turbo voltage is simply because I cannot turn it off. On Auto it gets very generous with the v while under load after running for a while.
What PLL did you manage to achieve stable?
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 108
PLL overvoltage is disabled btw. On my 4.7Ghz @ 1.408v sandy stable test it was at 1.75v. I'm at 48x and haven't done a full 12hr test yet. I will try, just had a baby so I have been using the PC when I have time, instead of messing with it. No issues at all just setting to 48x and 1.424v, 1.75pll. I've done a bunch of IBT (like tons) and Solidworks rendering and what not. It helped me bring my vcore down and keep it from jumping around without using the upper 2 LLC settings.
x99 Liquidx
(17 items)
 
Sandy z77 Pro
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k| 4.2Ghz | 1.291v ASRock x99 Professional Fatal1ty / 3.1 EVGA Titan X | EK-FC Copper | EK Backplate 32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3467Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Red 3TB 2.5in HGST 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rasa Dual Bay Reservoir | D5 XSPC RX360 Radiator EK Supremacy EVO | Red XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool UT60 280MM Radiator Windows 10 Pro x64 2 x Dell U2515H @ 75Hz Seasonic 1250XM 
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k | 48x | 1.328v Asrock Fatal1ty z77 Professional Asus DCUII GTX 670 | 2GB | 1254Mhz | 3.48Ghz  8GB Mushkin BL DDR3 | 2133Mhz | 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB  3x Seagate NL35 400GB 7200rpm XSPC Rasa Raystorm Extreme RX360 D5 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 23" 1080p IPS Corsair AX750 80+ Gold NZXT Source 210 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
x99 Liquidx
(17 items)
 
Sandy z77 Pro
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800k| 4.2Ghz | 1.291v ASRock x99 Professional Fatal1ty / 3.1 EVGA Titan X | EK-FC Copper | EK Backplate 32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3467Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB WD Red 3TB 2.5in HGST 500GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rasa Dual Bay Reservoir | D5 XSPC RX360 Radiator EK Supremacy EVO | Red XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Alphacool UT60 280MM Radiator Windows 10 Pro x64 2 x Dell U2515H @ 75Hz Seasonic 1250XM 
Case
Corsair Graphite 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k | 48x | 1.328v Asrock Fatal1ty z77 Professional Asus DCUII GTX 670 | 2GB | 1254Mhz | 3.48Ghz  8GB Mushkin BL DDR3 | 2133Mhz | 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 128GB  3x Seagate NL35 400GB 7200rpm XSPC Rasa Raystorm Extreme RX360 D5 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 23" 1080p IPS Corsair AX750 80+ Gold NZXT Source 210 Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 108
Thread Starter 
An update on the progress.

I've reduced PLL voltage down to the lowest my BIOS allows me without any stability on my previous/current 4.5GHz clock that worked fine (see first post in the thread for more details). The lowest voltage option for PLL is roughly 1.52v.

There were no stability issues with that voltage on my previous/current 4.5GHz clock that worked fine. I am now trying (as I post this) the same PLL voltage with a drop in vcore by -0.010v, which previously crashed me. Also interestingly I don't know if it's me not noticing this before, but when watching the CPU clock I notice a slight .1-.5 variation every second or so in the MHz, I don't remember seeing that before reducing the PLL voltage considerably.

Anyone here on the thread have any interesting findings to add?
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
An update on the progress.

I've reduced PLL voltage down to the lowest my BIOS allows me without any stability on my previous/current 4.5GHz clock that worked fine (see first post in the thread for more details). The lowest voltage option for PLL is roughly 1.52v.

There were no stability issues with that voltage on my previous/current 4.5GHz clock that worked fine. I am now trying (as I post this) the same PLL voltage with a drop in vcore by -0.010v, which previously crashed me. Also interestingly I don't know if it's me not noticing this before, but when watching the CPU clock I notice a slight .1-.5 variation every second or so in the MHz, I don't remember seeing that before reducing the PLL voltage considerably.

Anyone here on the thread have any interesting findings to add?
I've been looking for documents to prove/refute that such small PLL voltages is harmful for the CPU. It's well accepted that too much will kill a faster faster than anything, but I can't really find any info on too little... Intel's SB specifications state that 1.7v is the minimum but doesn't mention if it's detrimental to run a bit less.

1.7v has been working wonders for me but I want to know for sure before experimenting even further with it. PLL voltage is a dangerous thing to screw up.
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzarix View Post
I've been looking for documents to prove/refute that such small PLL voltages is harmful for the CPU. It's well accepted that too much will kill a faster faster than anything, but I can't really find any info on too little... Intel's SB specifications state that 1.7v is the minimum but doesn't mention if it's detrimental to run a bit less.

1.7v has been working wonders for me but I want to know for sure before experimenting even further with it. PLL voltage is a dangerous thing to screw up.
Well on the other thread I made about two hours before this, asking about PLL undervolting, a guy replied saying he had been using something like 1.3v, or w/e it was similar to that, for about 6 months upwards on his i7 9something, no problems at all. Search for threads made by me to find it, it's on this same category board.

EDIT: Additionally I've tried Prime95 for 10 minutes, OCCT for 15 minutes on medium data, and LinX using all memory 5 times, and no instability. I've knocked it down another -0.010v from the previous setting on the vcore, will test that for 30-45 minutes as errors usually occur in that timeframe.
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
Ixevil
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.6GHz (4.7GHz up to 8 th... ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X ASUS Geforce GTX Titan X 
RAMCoolingOSPower
Corsair Vengeance 64GB Kit 2166 Corsair H100i Windows 8.1 Pro Seasonic 1200W Platinum 
Case
Dimastech EasyXL Bench Table 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
Well on the other thread I made about two hours before this, asking about PLL undervolting, a guy replied saying he had been using something like 1.3v, or w/e it was similar to that, for about 6 months upwards on his i7 9something, no problems at all. Search for threads made by me to find it, it's on this same category board.

EDIT: Additionally I've tried Prime95 for 10 minutes, OCCT for 15 minutes on medium data, and LinX using all memory 5 times, and no instability. I've knocked it down another -0.010v from the previous setting on the vcore, will test that for 30-45 minutes as errors usually occur in that timeframe.
It is most likely safe to use such little PLL voltage but I'd like to find a bit more support for it. I don't want to advice people to do something that may be detrimental to their CPU based on the experiences of a few people. The quest continues
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
RyzenWorkStation
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X Asrock X370 Taichi eVGA GTX 1080 Ti 16GB G.SKILL Flare X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Evo 960 Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Define R5 
Mouse
SteelSeries Xai Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › i7 2600K - Reasonable settings and temp?