Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Is Linux really a viable fully featured desktop OS?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Linux really a viable fully featured desktop OS? - Page 12  

post #111 of 126
Not a fully featured desktop OS???

LMAO


Well, I guess we will have to NARROWLY define "desktop OS".

I guess if we decide that to be a "fully featured desktop OS" it must run every game out there, have high powered AutoCAD software, and have hundreds of thousands of dollars of software sitting on the shelf waiting for someone that needs it.

On the other hand, if we look at what the AVERAGE user of a PC needs, we can see that the vast majority of people use their PC to read email, surf the web, write papers, design spreadsheets and play media.

Guess what? Linux does that. The PLAIN fact is that Linux in the form of Ubuntu and Mint is a near exact replacement for Windows for the large chunk of home users, the ones who just want a computer to WORK. If we designed a skin to make all the control locations (window buttons, "Start" menu, ect...) in a Linux distro match Windows I promise you, the average user would not notice a difference. Someone else pointed it out earlier, we did not all instantly know how to use Windows either. The first time anyone fires up a Windows machine they don't know the Control Panel is the main settings area, or that it is in the START menu, or the little windows symbol now on the bottom left. No one uses Windows the first time and knows that CTL-ALT-DEL brings up the task manager. So if we all had to LEARN Windows, why is it a negative to need to learn a LITTLE bit about Linux to use it??? Should we also argue how an automatic is better than a standard transmission because it's easier to use? Is ease of use the new standard in "better"? LOL

In every thread like this, the driving force behind someone's dissatisfaction with Linux never stems from something a standard desktop OS does....it ALWAYS stems from some odd configuration or crazy setup that doesn't work out of the box. I am having trouble running a blu-ray theater setup through Linux........but that's something I want to do, not many other people do that.......so it does not upset me that I will have to work out a solution. Everything else I use my PCs for Ubuntu does flawlessly.

Another thing I love is the circular logic that Linux is inferior because companies do not provide software for it, and that is why people don't use it. Guess what, companies design software for a profit, if people refuse to use Linux then companies see no point in coding a program for it.

So is Linux a fully featured desktop OS?? It most certainly is. It's also the only desktop OS that does not require you to majorly overhaul your computer every 3 years just to run an OS. My 9 year old laptop runs Ubuntu with advanced Compiz effects and Unity faster than it ran Windows XP.
post #112 of 126
IMO as soon it can play all windows based games and not just openGL ones thats when I see it as a fully feature desktop os. But then its main point is that its free well most of the distros.

Tho its the only reason why I dont use it as my main os as it doesnt play all games and I do not wanna fool with WineHQ emulation which is not perfect and also doesnt work atleast for me for non openGL games.
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
Super Abrams Tank
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H XFX HD7950 DD Samsung 30nm 2x4GB DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD 2x500GB LG Blu ray HD-dvd combo DVD-rw drive Cooler Master V6GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Samsung 2343 Logitech K320 Silverstone ST750EF 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Desk keyboard tray Audio-GD NFB-12 
Audio
Audio-Techinca A900x 
  hide details  
post #113 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidMonkey View Post
<snip>
People want to drive a car without learning how it works too... and that costs them more to have someone else do their maintenance. Thats their choice... wasting money is better to them, its the cost of blissful ignorance. <snip>
Greetz
Absolutely agreed. There is far too much to know for one person to know it all so we all make choices as to what's most important to us. If that wasn't common there'd be few specialists and we'd all be in trouble and/or considerably more primitive. That's not even to mention that all of us would wisely not enjoy letting someone who "changed a tire once" tune the engine or replace a transmission.

Additionally, and to continue a good analogy, if someone else maintains your car you've likely opted for reliable, basic transportation and there is a need for that. However if one of those drivers opts to take the family SUV to the race track and drive around yelling "Brumm..Brummmm!" and confiding to the pit crews that he really wanted a set of headers but it was too hard to install, he'd likely be wise to expect some ummmm less than salutory responses.
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
NewMain
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 - 3550 Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 760  4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate SATA 2TB x 2  Plextor PX-891SAW CM-Hyper N520 Slackware 14, Studio KUbuntu, OpenSuSe 12.3, Wi... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32" Vizio HDTV + DLP Logitech Wireless Corsair HX-850 Antec Sonata I 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Razer DeathAdder 2013 dual ESI Juli@ CoolGear ExtSata Enclosure w/ Optical and 3TB S... 
  hide details  
post #114 of 126
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Not a fully featured desktop OS???

LMAO


Well, I guess we will have to NARROWLY define "desktop OS".

I guess if we decide that to be a "fully featured desktop OS" it must run every game out there, have high powered AutoCAD software, and have hundreds of thousands of dollars of software sitting on the shelf waiting for someone that needs it.

On the other hand, if we look at what the AVERAGE user of a PC needs, we can see that the vast majority of people use their PC to read email, surf the web, write papers, design spreadsheets and play media.

Guess what? Linux does that. The PLAIN fact is that Linux in the form of Ubuntu and Mint is a near exact replacement for Windows for the large chunk of home users, the ones who just want a computer to WORK. If we designed a skin to make all the control locations (window buttons, "Start" menu, ect...) in a Linux distro match Windows I promise you, the average user would not notice a difference. Someone else pointed it out earlier, we did not all instantly know how to use Windows either. The first time anyone fires up a Windows machine they don't know the Control Panel is the main settings area, or that it is in the START menu, or the little windows symbol now on the bottom left. No one uses Windows the first time and knows that CTL-ALT-DEL brings up the task manager. So if we all had to LEARN Windows, why is it a negative to need to learn a LITTLE bit about Linux to use it??? Should we also argue how an automatic is better than a standard transmission because it's easier to use? Is ease of use the new standard in "better"? LOL

In every thread like this, the driving force behind someone's dissatisfaction with Linux never stems from something a standard desktop OS does....it ALWAYS stems from some odd configuration or crazy setup that doesn't work out of the box. I am having trouble running a blu-ray theater setup through Linux........but that's something I want to do, not many other people do that.......so it does not upset me that I will have to work out a solution. Everything else I use my PCs for Ubuntu does flawlessly.

Another thing I love is the circular logic that Linux is inferior because companies do not provide software for it, and that is why people don't use it. Guess what, companies design software for a profit, if people refuse to use Linux then companies see no point in coding a program for it.

So is Linux a fully featured desktop OS?? It most certainly is. It's also the only desktop OS that does not require you to majorly overhaul your computer every 3 years just to run an OS. My 9 year old laptop runs Ubuntu with advanced Compiz effects and Unity faster than it ran Windows XP.
You are narowly defining the fully featured desktop as what the average user wants. I a defining it as something that can do ANYTHING a desktop user could want. Linux can do a lot but there are too many things it cannot do with out bandaid fixes.

You basically just said everything I've been saying.

1. The extra work is not the problem, nor is the learning curb and it is more rewarding.
2. Linux works great on certain older hardware and things like laptops, mobile, servers and super computers as well as people who need to save the money.
3. In terms of desktop needs it works well for word processing, non drm music and internet browsing things. The things your average no enthusiast would want.
4. It cannot do a lot of things (high end graphics work, netflix streaming, blu ray [the last two are getting more popular]) while Windows can do almost anything any desktop user advanced or regular would want.


What I don't get it how people can say a lack of quality apps is not a problem because it's not Linux's fault it's developers. Yes if more people used Linux it would not be a problem, but that is not the reality we live in. I would have to stop doing all the things I want that Linux can't do, or simply dual boot an use it 10% of the time for no reason to make some sort of statement of support to developers.


Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Edited by cavallino - 8/15/11 at 11:14am
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
post #115 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
You are narowly defining the fully featured desktop as what the average user wants. I a defining it as something that can do ANYTHING a desktop user could want.
We must use a different dictionary. To me "narrow" means addressing only a small selection of something. My definition is as wide as it can get, or do you also assert that a vast majority of computer users play PC games and run 3 sound cards? you're definition is not what anything a desktop user could want, it's what a small minority of desktop users need.

you're right, Windows is like a swiss army knife, one the size of a skyscraper, inside there is a tool for pretty much anything. That's great for the person that wants a screwdriver designed to remove a proprietary valve cover bolt from a 1922 Model T. Unfortunately, the screwdriver to remove a standard phillips head is buried beneath all the other crap and when you use it it sometimes strips out the head. But hey, that one out of a million people that needs that ONE configuration is set for life........

If we went out and asked 100 PC users what they do on their computers, i ASSURE you that at least 70% would say;

1) Surf the web
2) Email
3) Play music
4) Word processing/spreadsheets

Linux does all of that without any "bandaids"......


As I said before, this is pointless.......you have a narrow, specific need for your OS to perform, Linux doesn't do that (without a small amount of work on your part), you don't feel like you should have to, so you prefer Windows.

Fine.

This does NOT mean that Linux is a useless OS and not as "good" as Windows. It means it does not work for YOU. For me this is not a problem, I will use Linux, you can use Windows, the Earth continues to spin.

But, for some reason, you seem set in the notion that you have to convince me (and everyone else) why Linux sucks and Windows is superior.

I've said my piece, I've offered my opinion on your proposed topic (which has devolved into the classic "Which OS is better" back and forth through accident or design), I have no need to argue a point I consider moot any further.

post #116 of 126
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
We must use a different dictionary. To me "narrow" means addressing only a small selection of something. My definition is as wide as it can get, or do you also assert that a vast majority of computer users play PC games and run 3 sound cards? you're definition is not what anything a desktop user could want, it's what a small minority of desktop users need.

you're right, Windows is like a swiss army knife, one the size of a skyscraper, inside there is a tool for pretty much anything. That's great for the person that wants a screwdriver designed to remove a proprietary valve cover bolt from a 1922 Model T. Unfortunately, the screwdriver to remove a standard phillips head is buried beneath all the other crap and when you use it it sometimes strips out the head. But hey, that one out of a million people that needs that ONE configuration is set for life........

If we went out and asked 100 PC users what they do on their computers, i ASSURE you that at least 70% would say;

1) Surf the web
2) Email
3) Play music
4) Word processing/spreadsheets

Linux does all of that without any "bandaids"......


As I said before, this is pointless.......you have a narrow, specific need for your OS to perform, Linux doesn't do that (without a small amount of work on your part), you don't feel like you should have to, so you prefer Windows.

Fine.

This does NOT mean that Linux is a useless OS and not as "good" as Windows. It means it does not work for YOU. For me this is not a problem, I will use Linux, you can use Windows, the Earth continues to spin.

But, for some reason, you seem set in the notion that you have to convince me (and everyone else) why Linux sucks and Windows is superior.

I've said my piece, I've offered my opinion on your proposed topic (which has devolved into the classic "Which OS is better" back and forth through accident or design), I have no need to argue a point I consider moot any further.

1. I said games were not important
2. I never said anything about three sound cards that was someone else in fact I said hardware was not really an issue.
3. If it requires so little work. Please show me how I can run Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, (or apps that are nearly as good)stream netflix and watch blu ray without resorting to using wine or a VM. Those are hardly bizarre fringe activities
4. I am not trying to convince anyone merely stating my view point and people are attacking it saying I don't know what I am doing because Linux is better or that using anything other than libre office, chrome and thunderbird is irrelevant because that's what most people do. I have said many times that I prefer Linux for many many other uses and admited it is the better OS and I actually really like it. Yet people like yourself don't read most of what I said and think I am merely a windows troll.

I never said it wouldn't work for you or the next person just that it can't do everything.
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
post #117 of 126
this is my problem with this thread cava. i know you've been using linux for a long time, even have chatted and helped each other out from time to time. the problem i have with this thread, or even your views, they seem incomplete. let me eleborate a bit more here.

firstly, i'm like a few others here, i don't quite understand the obsessive need of others to come here to let us know they are giving up linux for windows. when i gave up windows, i didn't post in the windows board or other windows based forum's, letting them all know that i quit. even if i had, it would've been an extremely long post, pointing out what i thought was wrong with windows, and why i thought linux was better.

now you touched upon the why, but you didn't go into any detail of it. you left it with generic terms that typical window users use, that really can't be argued with due to their abstract nature or personal "feel" to them.

i do agree with you about netflix. it ticks me off that i can watch netflix streaming on my touch, my xbox and my wii but not my pc cause i didn't choose to use windows...i know the wii and touch doesn't use silverlight, why must i be forced to use it to watch in on pc? where is their dedicated application for linux/windows/mac os x. even their android app, doesn't use silverlight, i'm pretty sure they are all html5 in some form or another. personally, i've written to netflix on countless occassions to let them know how displeased i am with their choice. its all you can really do, but the last thing i'm going to do is let netflix dictate what OS i'm using.

in all reality, there isn't any "legal" way to watch bluray or even dvd's on linux, but i'm a revolutionary and believe those "drm's" and technologies violate my fair use rights as a consumer. now you can get bluray's to play in linux, actually quite easily these days compared to a few years back. i can not tell you how to do it here, as it "violates" ocn's "TOS", and i've been warned before talking about it.

so i think it would go an extremely long way if you'd go into a bit more detail as to why gimp,digikam, inkscape are "not as good" as their adobe counterparts (i'm assuming those are the "OSS" alternatives you are speaking of), instead of just stating they aren't. when you say generic things such as that, you give the impression that "you tried them for 5 minutes and since they aren't exactly laid out like adobe's, you hated them"

just my two cents.
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
Bazinga Punk
(12 items)
 
ooh shiny!
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon 3440 AsRock P55 extreme Evga 8800 GT 512 MB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Blue Antec Khuler 620 Ubuntu 11.10 Asus vw264H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GIGABYTE KM7600 CORSAIR TX 650 Cooler Master 590 GIGABYTE GM-M6800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 6500 Gigabyte z170xp-SLI Nvidia 970gtx Corsair 16gb ddr4 2666mhz  
Hard DriveOS
250gb Samsung Evo 850 Windows 10 & Ubuntu 15.10 
  hide details  
post #118 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by admflameberg View Post
IMO as soon it can play all windows based games and not just openGL ones thats when I see it as a fully feature desktop os. But then its main point is that its free well most of the distros.

Tho its the only reason why I dont use it as my main os as it doesnt play all games and I do not wanna fool with WineHQ emulation which is not perfect and also doesnt work atleast for me for non openGL games.
Linux could run all Windows games if the game developers took the time to port it over. Yes, this is hard as they would need to use OpenGL, as Linux cannot run DirectX unless Microsoft decides to release it for Linux which they never will. It is not impossible though, I have seen it done.
Black_Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz Asus P8P67 PRO EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 & 640GB Western Digital Black ASUS DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 Professional x64 & Slackware64 13.37 CHIMEI 22" 1680x1050 
PowerCase
Corsair 750W CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Black_Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz Asus P8P67 PRO EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Agility 3 & 640GB Western Digital Black ASUS DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 Professional x64 & Slackware64 13.37 CHIMEI 22" 1680x1050 
PowerCase
Corsair 750W CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
post #119 of 126
There's a big misconception in this thread about OSes in general.

You can't say that Linux can't run games. You can't say that Linux can't run CAD software. Linux can run anything you program for it.

Those are the key words right there. It's not that Linux can't do what you want it to do, because it can. Speaking about the OS on it's own, it is better than Windows in more ways than it is worse. The only major drawback is that it doesn't have the same support from developers when it comes to "desktop" type programs, and "desktop" type hardware. You might have trouble getting your sound card to work properly, but you'll never have trouble with a RAID card. You might not be able to play the latest video game on it, but you'll be able to get full TOE working much easier than on Windows.

In short: you can't say that Linux isn't as good because it can't do X, Y, and Z. You can only say that you can't do what you want to on it because noone's developed a Linux-compatible program to do it.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
post #120 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Not a fully featured desktop OS???

LMAO


Well, I guess we will have to NARROWLY define "desktop OS".

I guess if we decide that to be a "fully featured desktop OS" it must run every game out there, have high powered AutoCAD software, and have hundreds of thousands of dollars of software sitting on the shelf waiting for someone that needs it.

On the other hand, if we look at what the AVERAGE user of a PC needs, we can see that the vast majority of people use their PC to read email, surf the web, write papers, design spreadsheets and play media.

Guess what? Linux does that. The PLAIN fact is that Linux in the form of Ubuntu and Mint is a near exact replacement for Windows for the large chunk of home users, the ones who just want a computer to WORK. If we designed a skin to make all the control locations (window buttons, "Start" menu, ect...) in a Linux distro match Windows I promise you, the average user would not notice a difference. Someone else pointed it out earlier, we did not all instantly know how to use Windows either. The first time anyone fires up a Windows machine they don't know the Control Panel is the main settings area, or that it is in the START menu, or the little windows symbol now on the bottom left. No one uses Windows the first time and knows that CTL-ALT-DEL brings up the task manager. So if we all had to LEARN Windows, why is it a negative to need to learn a LITTLE bit about Linux to use it??? Should we also argue how an automatic is better than a standard transmission because it's easier to use? Is ease of use the new standard in "better"? LOL

In every thread like this, the driving force behind someone's dissatisfaction with Linux never stems from something a standard desktop OS does....it ALWAYS stems from some odd configuration or crazy setup that doesn't work out of the box. I am having trouble running a blu-ray theater setup through Linux........but that's something I want to do, not many other people do that.......so it does not upset me that I will have to work out a solution. Everything else I use my PCs for Ubuntu does flawlessly.

Another thing I love is the circular logic that Linux is inferior because companies do not provide software for it, and that is why people don't use it. Guess what, companies design software for a profit, if people refuse to use Linux then companies see no point in coding a program for it.

So is Linux a fully featured desktop OS?? It most certainly is. It's also the only desktop OS that does not require you to majorly overhaul your computer every 3 years just to run an OS. My 9 year old laptop runs Ubuntu with advanced Compiz effects and Unity faster than it ran Windows XP.

THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admflameberg View Post
IMO as soon it can play all windows based games and not just openGL ones thats when I see it as a fully feature desktop os. But then its main point is that its free well most of the distros.

Tho its the only reason why I dont use it as my main os as it doesnt play all games and I do not wanna fool with WineHQ emulation which is not perfect and also doesnt work atleast for me for non openGL games.
It can natively play plenty of games that 90% of people who use a desktop play...That is, Farmville, FrontierVille, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
You are narowly defining the fully featured desktop as what the average user wants. I a defining it as something that can do ANYTHING a desktop user could want. Linux can do a lot but there are too many things it cannot do with out bandaid fixes.
The majority of users would use Firefox, emesene/pidgin/amsn/whatever, evolution/thunderbird, any one of the media players and that's it, I wouldn't call it fully featured (Yeah, that would mean it can do anything you'd expect of a desktop...Even Windows doesn't come close for me, it loses out in certain parts where Linux destroys it, eg customization) but it is as good a general use OS as Windows or OS X.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Is Linux really a viable fully featured desktop OS?