Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › A question about Skyrim!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A question about Skyrim!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
A really simple question for you guys!
If I've never played an Oblivion game (inb4blasphemy), will I understand anything that is going on in Skyrim or will I be completely lost?

The game looks amazing. I want it, but at the same time, if I need to play earlier games, I'll have to put it off.
Sandy Goodness
(17 items)
 
Sandy Mininess
(14 items)
 
Simply the best
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 3.7GHz Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (RAID 0) XSPC Rasa RX360 (CPU) 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 x64 Professional ArchLinux x64 Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Das S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X650 Coolermaster HAF X Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Something slow and mobile No idea The best Leaking 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Not nearly enough for my CP It's removable! Linux - ta best!!!1!!! Bigger than yours 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mine has twenty eight keys A battery derrr Fat and blocky They scare elephants 
Mouse Pad
Useless 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Goodness
(17 items)
 
Sandy Mininess
(14 items)
 
Simply the best
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 3.7GHz Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (RAID 0) XSPC Rasa RX360 (CPU) 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 x64 Professional ArchLinux x64 Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Das S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X650 Coolermaster HAF X Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Something slow and mobile No idea The best Leaking 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Not nearly enough for my CP It's removable! Linux - ta best!!!1!!! Bigger than yours 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mine has twenty eight keys A battery derrr Fat and blocky They scare elephants 
Mouse Pad
Useless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
I played Oblivion without any prior ES experience and was fine. To be honest, Oblivion's main storyline wasn't even that memorable - the exploring and guilds were the fun part, and it didn't have any standout characters like other games. Basically I would say Skyrim will be just as enjoyable whether or not you've played the previous games.
Edited by t-ramp - 8/10/11 at 11:11am
post #3 of 13
Every Elder Scroll games starts with the basic story lines. So no you will not be lost.
Edited by dixson01974 - 8/10/11 at 12:14pm
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
I think in order to answer your question we must look at the current trend in the video game market. The current generation of games is mainly pointed towards console users. Having said that, a safe assumption can be made that those who prefer to play consoles, at least the majority, don't use a computer as their primary means of entertainment.

This assumption then leads to the posit that since they don't have a computer that serves as a primary means of entertainment, that they really don't know what they're missing. This then allows us to hypothesize that probably the user in question is not familiar with traditional gaming and the community surrounding it.

Very interestingly, most producers now recognize this and have realized the only way to gain even more money is to open up their product to a wider audience. They want their $60 from the Jock sporting Dr. Dre Beats, and the girl who checks her blackberry every half a nanosecond for that one BBM/text as well. And consequently, after referring to this IQ DISTRIBUTION CHART , we can see that to gain a wider audience, it needs to appeal to all the IQs listed. Of course here we take IQ as a general quotient of a person's intelligence and not the international standard for the same.

Lastly, we can make the conclusion that in order to appeal to more people, the game needs to be accessible to people not necessarily initiated in long standing lore, as well those peoples' friends such that they can be standing in the room drinking a soda, and never have played a game before and still say "Oh man that looks interesting, can i try killing that monster?".

So to answer your question, no you don't need to have played Oblivion to understand Skyrim. But if you had played oblivion and spent hours in Tamriel, then you would enjoy the new game approximately 103 times more.
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Fantastic news! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razultull View Post
I think in order to answer your question we must look at the current trend in the video game market. The current generation of games is mainly pointed towards console users. Having said that, a safe assumption can be made that those who prefer to play consoles, at least the majority, don't use a computer as their primary means of entertainment.

This assumption then leads to the posit that since they don't have a computer that serves as a primary means of entertainment, that they really don't know what they're missing. This then allows us to hypothesize that probably the user in question is not familiar with traditional gaming and the community surrounding it.

Very interestingly, most producers now recognize this and have realized the only way to gain even more money is to open up their product to a wider audience. They want their $60 from the Jock sporting Dr. Dre Beats, and the girl who checks her blackberry every half a nanosecond for that one BBM/text as well. And consequently, after referring to this IQ DISTRIBUTION CHART , we can see that to gain a wider audience, it needs to appeal to all the IQs listed. Of course here we take IQ as a general quotient of a person's intelligence and not the international standard for the same.

Lastly, we can make the conclusion that in order to appeal to more people, the game needs to be accessible to people not necessarily initiated in long standing lore, as well those peoples' friends such that they can be standing in the room drinking a soda, and never have played a game before and still say "Oh man that looks interesting, can i try killing that monster?".

So to answer your question, no you don't need to have played Oblivion to understand Skyrim. But if you had played oblivion and spent hours in Tamriel, then you would enjoy the new game approximately 103 times more.
You are amazing.
Edited by Dilyn - 8/10/11 at 11:18am
Sandy Goodness
(17 items)
 
Sandy Mininess
(14 items)
 
Simply the best
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 3.7GHz Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (RAID 0) XSPC Rasa RX360 (CPU) 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 x64 Professional ArchLinux x64 Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Das S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X650 Coolermaster HAF X Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Something slow and mobile No idea The best Leaking 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Not nearly enough for my CP It's removable! Linux - ta best!!!1!!! Bigger than yours 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mine has twenty eight keys A battery derrr Fat and blocky They scare elephants 
Mouse Pad
Useless 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Goodness
(17 items)
 
Sandy Mininess
(14 items)
 
Simply the best
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 3.7GHz Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (RAID 0) XSPC Rasa RX360 (CPU) 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 x64 Professional ArchLinux x64 Dell UltraSharp U2312HM Das S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X650 Coolermaster HAF X Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Something slow and mobile No idea The best Leaking 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Not nearly enough for my CP It's removable! Linux - ta best!!!1!!! Bigger than yours 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Mine has twenty eight keys A battery derrr Fat and blocky They scare elephants 
Mouse Pad
Useless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razultull View Post
So to answer your question, no you don't need to have played Oblivion to understand Skyrim. But if you had played oblivion and spent hours in Tamriel, then you would enjoy the new game approximately 103 times more.
Well, I dare say Skyrim is going to be about the same experience as Oblivion with a few twists. Having played Oblivion just gives one a better idea of what that experience is like.
post #7 of 13
Although you don't need past experience, I recommend you grab a copy of TES III: Morrowind and play through that. Bethesda is trying to recreate that experience with Skyrim because morrowind and oblivion were very different in a lot of ways.
SCTDF
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO GTX 480 G.Skill 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Callisto Deluxe  WD Green 1TB Samsung H-50 w/ AP-14's push-pull 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 Asus VH236H X2 Logitech G15 PC Power & Cooling 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 300 Illusion MODDED Logitech G700 Razer Tron  Creative SB Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
SCTDF
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO GTX 480 G.Skill 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Callisto Deluxe  WD Green 1TB Samsung H-50 w/ AP-14's push-pull 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 x64 Asus VH236H X2 Logitech G15 PC Power & Cooling 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 300 Illusion MODDED Logitech G700 Razer Tron  Creative SB Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp View Post
Well, I dare say Skyrim is going to be about the same experience as Oblivion with a few twists. Having played Oblivion just gives one a better idea of what that experience is like.
That's hardly what i'm implying. If you're initiated in anything, may it be an author, a band, or a video game series, you tend to look forward to the new material that said artist is going to release. Not only that but if you actually like the new material, then the enjoyment is increased because you are familiar with the (lore in this case)material and have spent time with it over the years and seen the ideas and applications evolve and mature or in some cases change for the worse.

While i feel jealous that he will be experiencing the elder scrolls universe for the first time, i will nonetheless be sad that he probably won't have time to go through the previous games so close to release.
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
Bernard
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 3.71 Ghz | 1.17v Rampage III Extreme EVGA GTX 580 Corsair Dominators GTX 6gb 1925MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
64Gb C300 SATA 6 Gb/s, 2 x 320 Gb F4's RAID 0 ASUS 24x -_- Windows 7 Home(Who needs ultimate?!) ASUS VH226H 21.5 Inch 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000 + Custom Sleeving NZXT Tempest Evo Razer Naga NONE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebro View Post
Although you don't need past experience, I recommend you grab a copy of TES III: Morrowind and play through that. Bethesda is trying to recreate that experience with Skyrim because morrowind and oblivion were very different in a lot of ways.
Yeah I played Morrowind and Oblivion, Oblivion I actually played first. They are both good games and you should try them, I didn't have a copy of oblivion on my pc, so during the steam summer sale I actually picked it up for $7. I can't remember if morrowind is on steam or not, but I assume it would be. I didn't have any prior knowledge to the Elder Scrolls series before I played Oblivion and I was still able to understand what was going on.
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig v2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 EVGA GTX 780 2 x 8gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
Western Digital 2tb Black 7200RPM Samsung 120GB SSD Windows 7 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razultull View Post
That's hardly what i'm implying. If you're initiated in anything, may it be an author, a band, or a video game series, you tend to look forward to the new material that said artist is going to release. Not only that but if you actually like the new material, then the enjoyment is increased because you are familiar with the (lore in this case)material and have spent time with it over the years.
Of course. I didn't mean to sound like there's no point playing Oblivion just because Skyrim will likely feel a lot like it. I guess my feeling is that there isn't a whole lot in Oblivion that would endear somebody to the Elder Scrolls more so than Skyrim. Along with that, I also think that jumping back to Morrowind isn't a bad idea to get a better feeling of the roots of the series.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › A question about Skyrim!