Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › (MSI R6870 HAWK) or (Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Amp)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(MSI R6870 HAWK) or (Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Amp)? - Page 6

post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
Its been knocked down

800mhz @ 92c which I wasn't happy with so settled for 750mhz on stock voltage and 83c

Either way matey its still faster then a 6870 and that's the view of pretty much everyone in this thread. And you've yet to provide any real evdidence supporting the 6870 being faster.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
And he explains anyway Look matey...I've never had stated the 6870 was faster. I was never trying to prove it was faster...just proving it is just as fast during real-time gameplay depending on the game being played. I know the 470 is SLIGHTLY faster and even more faster {depending on the game being played}, I've said it a long time ago. I refer to real-time gameplay...not benchmarking. At the end of the day, the 470 will always be faster but not by much and I'm only referring this comparison to the fastest 6870s by MSI & Sapphire.
It's all good matey Good debate
Edited by drBlahMan - 8/14/11 at 8:56am
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post
And he explains anyway Look matey...I've never had stated the 6870 was faster. I was never trying to prove it was faster...just proving it is just as fast during real-time gameplay depending on the game being played. I know the 470 is SLIGHTLY faster and even more faster {depending on the game being played}, I've said it a long time ago. I refer to real-time gameplay...not benchmarking. At the end of the day, the 470 will always be faster but not by much and I'm only referring this comparison to the fastest 6870s by MSI & Sapphire.
It's all good matey Good debate
The 470 will always cripple the 6870 at higher resolutions and in the minimum frame rate department because of the extra VRAM.

And comparing a pre-overclocked card to a stock card is a joke.

Why not compare the overclocked MSI 6870 to an MSI overclocked GTX 470

And I think the Zotac GTX 470 AMP is pre-overclocked anyway??

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 74
I don't know about always, but if a 470 can trade blows with a 6950/6970 in gaming than I think its reasonable to assume whenever the 6950 beat the 470 the 6870 wouldn't win by as much if at all. Using that same logic you could conclude the whenever the 470 beat the 6950 it would beat the 6870 by more.

There is no reason to discuss perception of experience since that is opinionated and not factual information that can be compared.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 74
Balla the anandtech GPU Bech charts show that a GTX 470 cripples a 6870.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Edited by Rocket Dog - 8/14/11 at 9:49am
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post
And he explains anyway Look matey...I've never had stated the 6870 was faster. I was never trying to prove it was faster...just proving it is just as fast during real-time gameplay depending on the game being played. I know the 470 is SLIGHTLY faster and even more faster {depending on the game being played}, I've said it a long time ago. I refer to real-time gameplay...not benchmarking. At the end of the day, the 470 will always be faster but not by much and I'm only referring this comparison to the fastest 6870s by MSI & Sapphire.
It's all good matey Good debate
Your mastery of the English language astounds me.

You still fail to provide an apples to apples comparison with a MSi Hawk 470 overclocked.

You refer to real-time gameplay yet you just mentioned in the previous statement the 470 is much faster than the 6870 in some games.

But then again this is coming from the dude who claimed the HD 6950 was just as fast as the GTX 570.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
Balla the anandtech GPU Bech charts show that a GTX 470 cripples a 6870.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
What about Crysis Warhead @ 1680x1050 & 2560x1600? Metro 2033 @ 2560x1600? BF2 @ 2560x1600? Stalker? Dirt 2 @ 2560x1600? Wolfenstein? All within 1 to 5 fps difference and you call this the 470 crippling the 6870? Now it's apparent that the 470 is smashing the 6870 in a few games on that chart but using this bench chart to say the 470 destroys the 6870 is a bit premature IMO This is what had always lead me to say the results are different depending on the game being played and resolution being used.

Now if Mr.Noob had stated in the beginning in this thread that he would be using a resolution of 1680x1050 and is only interested in using a single GPU, I would have cleary stated the GTX470 is the better choice without hesitation. But since it's in the air that he might use a larger resolution than that {can't recall if he had stated this}, this makes the 6870 a nice choice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
You refer to real-time gameplay yet you just mentioned in the previous statement the 470 is much faster than the 6870 in some games.
All I will say is your lack of comprehension is forgiven Read my post again slowly and you will see my support for stating the 470 being much faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
I don't know about always, but if a 470 can trade blows with a 6950/6970 in gaming than I think its reasonable to assume whenever the 6950 beat the 470 the 6870 wouldn't win by as much if at all. Using that same logic you could conclude the whenever the 470 beat the 6950 it would beat the 6870 by more.

There is no reason to discuss perception of experience since that is opinionated and not factual information that can be compared.
I can agree with this but we can not disregard the difference of performance when using larger resolutions & the specific game that is being played. All site reviews show this in their comparison...not just for benchmarking but for actual real-time performance as well.
Edited by drBlahMan - 8/14/11 at 1:20pm
post #57 of 74
Have a look at the minimum frame rates on Crysis at high resolutions, 6870 is in single digits compared the 470!

Read the techpowerup review of the MSI hawk 6870 and even that can't beat a stock clocked 5870!!

It's a poor card, There's next to no overclocking headroom, 100Mhz on average which in most cases doesn't amount to much improvement.

If you can find a cheap 6870 then its a decent buy but compared to a GTX 470 its slow.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T 5.5Ghz ASUS Crosshair 4 EXtreme GTX 470 SLI OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600Mhz CL7 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WD Carvier Black 1.2Tb RAID 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 1000w Modular Coolermaster Cosmos S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
Have a look at the minimum frame rates on Crysis at high resolutions, 6870 is in single digits compared the 470!

Read the techpowerup review of the MSI hawk 6870 and even that can't beat a stock clocked 5870!!

It's a poor card, There's next to no overclocking headroom, 100Mhz on average which in most cases doesn't amount to much improvement.

If you can find a cheap 6870 then its a decent buy but compared to a GTX 470 its slow.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
I'll take some time, check out that review, & get back to you.
post #59 of 74
You gotta take into account the fact that most of those benchmarking websites used their old GTX 470 results (back from March 2010) which means crappy drivers and subpar performance in most games.

There have been countless threads on OCN about the 470 (more than any card I think) and it has been proven that it performs as good as a 480/570 @ 800-825MHz both in benchmarks as well as in games. At 900MHz on water it even catches on with the 580. The HD6870 on the other hand, while a powerful card just doesn't have that overclocking headroom.
post #60 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post
All I will say is your lack of comprehension is forgiven Read my post again slowly and you will see my support for stating the 470 being much faster
So now you admit you're wrong about the 6870 being about as fast as the GTX 470? Then why do you keep posting because you were wrong in the first place. Hold on, let me link your original post so you don't try to edit them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post
If you have no luv for physX, I recommend the 6870 Hawk. The 470 Amped is slightly faster...even when both are OC'ed. You're not going to do flips over the performance difference between these 2 gpus. Both gpus are excellent OCers so either way you go, you'll be happy.
Your first say the 470 is only slightly faster then you say you support the assertion the GTX 470 is much faster. Which one is it? Stop dodging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgar View Post
You gotta take into account the fact that most of those benchmarking websites used their old GTX 470 results (back from March 2010) which means crappy drivers and subpar performance in most games.

There have been countless threads on OCN about the 470 (more than any card I think) and it has been proven that it performs as good as a 480/570 @ 800-825MHz both in benchmarks as well as in games. At 900MHz on water it even catches on with the 580. The HD6870 on the other hand, while a powerful card just doesn't have that overclocking headroom.
He's just trying to save face and can't admit he was completely wrong. Then again he did claim the HD 6950 was just as fast as the GTX 570.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › (MSI R6870 HAWK) or (Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Amp)?