Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Best GPU for these games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best GPU for these games

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
First thread

Planning to make my first PC. Processor will be i5 2500k and the resolution I will be playing at is 1080p. I'm not interested in SLI or Crossfire, only looking for a single GPU. Games I'm interested in are battlefield 3, crysis, crysis 2, skyrim mainly. I'd also like to play these games at highest settings. 30 FPS or above would be preferred.

GPUs I've been looking at are the GTX 560ti, GTX 570, Radeon 6950 and Radeon 6970. I know that the 6970 and 570 should be able to play these games at max with 30fps or above but would the 560ti and 6950 be able to? If they can I'd rather spend less.

And also would an Nvidia or AMD card be better for the games I want to play? I don't know much about the different features as I'm only soon going to build my first PC and I'm quite new to the whole PC thing.

Hope I'm not missing any info, since I'm a newbie.

All help appreciated, thanks
post #2 of 7
At resolutions 1920x1200 and lower, you want to go Nvidia. Most AMD cards will have higher ram but that would be no use for resolutions below that. Nvidia cards generally OC better as well with the new Fermi tech. The only exception is if you can get a 6950 that unlocks it's shaders to performance at 6970 levels, then that would be the better option.

Its hard to say for BF3 and Skyrim what the requirements are. But a 560ti will play current Gen games at 30 fps or higher. But since you are not pplanning on SLi I highly recommend going for a 570. The 570 TF3 goes for $320 on Amazon right now.
Return to PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.5ghz @ vcore 1.34 (24/7) Sandy Bridge i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Deluxe ASUS GTX 580 DCII G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 1.25v 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 64gb Samsung F3 1tb Hyper 212+  Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW266h Dell u2312HM CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds Corsair HX 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t SE Razer Deathadder Steelseries 4D Asus Xonar DX  
  hide details  
Reply
Return to PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.5ghz @ vcore 1.34 (24/7) Sandy Bridge i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Deluxe ASUS GTX 580 DCII G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 1.25v 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 64gb Samsung F3 1tb Hyper 212+  Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW266h Dell u2312HM CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds Corsair HX 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t SE Razer Deathadder Steelseries 4D Asus Xonar DX  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
At resolutions 1920x1200 and lower, you want to go Nvidia. Most AMD cards will have higher ram but that would be no use for resolutions below that. Nvidia cards generally OC better as well with the new Fermi tech. The only exception is if you can get a 6950 that unlocks it's shaders to performance at 6970 levels, then that would be the better option.

Its hard to say for BF3 and Skyrim what the requirements are. But a 560ti will play current Gen games at 30 fps or higher. But since you are not pplanning on SLi I highly recommend going for a 570. The 570 TF3 goes for $320 on Amazon right now.
Unfortunately I'm from the UK. Getting a reference 6950 is near impossible these days from reading around the web. I doubt I'd have a chance at all in the UK of getting one

Would you recommend the 570 msi twin frozr iii? Any other alternatives?

Edit: And are there any features in these games that would benefit an Nvidia or AMD card? I don't know much about the various features but I hear a lot about things like tesselation, physx etc.
Edited by NoctisXIII - 8/11/11 at 2:08pm
post #4 of 7
I would say buy the fastest gpus you can afford if you're not interested in sli or crossfire. The 570 twin would be an excellent card.
 
Test Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS P5N-T EVGA GT 430 Patriot PDC24G6400ELK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB LG Blu Ray/HD DVD Enzotech SCW-REV.A Swiftech MCR320-QP-K x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows7 Proffesional 64bit Acer 23" LCD Logitech G15 Corsair GS600 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom White Custom Mods Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 EVO Calibre GTX 480 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 2 LG DVD What ever is being tested Windows 7 professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" Generic High Power Astro PT 700w Antec 900/TBD 
MouseMouse Pad
ooold Microsoft POS Wood 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 SLI GTX Titans Samsung Green 30nm 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 3 240GB raid0 WD Caviar Black 1TB Dual Loop Water Cooling Windows7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian 27" 1440p Acer 23" 1080p Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mech Enermax Max Revo 1350 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enermax Fulmo GT Razer Naga EVGA Titan pad Logitec 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Test Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS P5N-T EVGA GT 430 Patriot PDC24G6400ELK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB LG Blu Ray/HD DVD Enzotech SCW-REV.A Swiftech MCR320-QP-K x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows7 Proffesional 64bit Acer 23" LCD Logitech G15 Corsair GS600 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom White Custom Mods Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 EVO Calibre GTX 480 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 2 LG DVD What ever is being tested Windows 7 professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" Generic High Power Astro PT 700w Antec 900/TBD 
MouseMouse Pad
ooold Microsoft POS Wood 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 SLI GTX Titans Samsung Green 30nm 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 3 240GB raid0 WD Caviar Black 1TB Dual Loop Water Cooling Windows7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian 27" 1440p Acer 23" 1080p Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mech Enermax Max Revo 1350 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enermax Fulmo GT Razer Naga EVGA Titan pad Logitec 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoctisXIII View Post
Unfortunately I'm from the UK. Getting a reference 6950 is near impossible these days from reading around the web. I doubt I'd have a chance at all in the UK of getting one

Would you recommend the 570 msi twin frozr iii? Any other alternatives?
If that's the case, I would definitely go Nvidia. Since you're in the UK its hard for me to talk about price/performance ratio but I'll try to put it in perspective of US prices.

Take this into consideration: in the US you will find 560ti's from $200-$250, 570's from $270-$350. The lower end of the spectrum represents cards that are mostly reference design (for people who use watercooling). If you are using air to cool your system, you will find most of the cards in the middle of those ranges. The high end represents the best cooling + perks. In the end, you are paying roughly $70-$100 more for 5-10% increase in performance.

The 570 Twin Frozr III is on the high end of the scale because it has excellent cooling and OC ability. But I mainly recommended it because its cheap on Amazon for US. A twin Frozr II is also highly recommend (cheaper). So I would recommend finding a 570 FROZR II or III and either one should be more then capable of playing next gen games.

If you don't want to spend as much, any 570 from Asus, EVGA, MSI should be just fine.
Return to PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.5ghz @ vcore 1.34 (24/7) Sandy Bridge i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Deluxe ASUS GTX 580 DCII G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 1.25v 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 64gb Samsung F3 1tb Hyper 212+  Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW266h Dell u2312HM CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds Corsair HX 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t SE Razer Deathadder Steelseries 4D Asus Xonar DX  
  hide details  
Reply
Return to PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.5ghz @ vcore 1.34 (24/7) Sandy Bridge i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Deluxe ASUS GTX 580 DCII G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 1.25v 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 64gb Samsung F3 1tb Hyper 212+  Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus VW266h Dell u2312HM CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds Corsair HX 650w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600t SE Razer Deathadder Steelseries 4D Asus Xonar DX  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
If that's the case, I would definitely go Nvidia. Since you're in the UK its hard for me to talk about price/performance ratio but I'll try to put it in perspective of US prices.

Take this into consideration: in the US you will find 560ti's from $200-$250, 570's from $270-$350. The lower end of the spectrum represents cards that are mostly reference design (for people who use watercooling). If you are using air to cool your system, you will find most of the cards in the middle of those ranges. The high end represents the best cooling + perks. In the end, you are paying roughly $70-$100 more for 5-10% increase in performance.

The 570 Twin Frozr III is on the high end of the scale because it has excellent cooling and OC ability. But I mainly recommended it because its cheap on Amazon for US. A twin Frozr II is also highly recommend (cheaper). So I would recommend finding a 570 FROZR II or III and either one should be more then capable of playing next gen games.

If you don't want to spend as much, any 570 from Asus, EVGA, MSI should be just fine.
Lol sorry, somehow I didn't read TF3 as Twin Frozr III, some reason that abbreviation always gets me.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
So I guess 570 it is then. Thanks for the help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Best GPU for these games