Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › My AMD Phenom x6core gaming issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My AMD Phenom x6core gaming issue - Page 2

post #11 of 37
The M4 boards are last years news, you might as well go with an M5A97 if you are going to try replacing the mobo. The M5s are the latest from ASUS and you will get the 900 series chips along with the UEFI (mouse controlled) BIOS and a nifty auto-overclock feature that actually works quite well.You are also ready for the next generation of AMD CPUs (BD and siblings)with an M5 board . You can see that is what I have (EVO version) and I am quite pleased with it. You may possibly have an issue with swapping your OS to a new mobo, I do not know if ASUS locks the OS to a specific mobo with their retail units. For some reason I suspect they do not do this like Dell and HP do, but I could be wrong. If so you may end up springing for a new non-OEM Win7 for around $75 as well.

I still think there is a chance that this bottleneck/ stall you are experiencing could be memory related. You listed 8 Gb of RAM, but not what speed it runs at or what speed that board can actually handle. I mentioned yesterday about replacing 8 Gb of brand new RAM(1066 speed) in this rig with 4 Gb of 2000 speed RAM and it fixed the one tiny glitch I was experiencing in heavy games. If it is memory speed related, you may end up dropping another $25-$60 to get some faster memory. So, my advice is this: If you have the money and inclination you should get an M5A97 ($100) or EVO ($120). If you have the $, I would also get some fast memory- at the very minimum 1333. This is of course depending on what speed your current memory is, it might be fine. If it is 1066 though, I would bite the bullet and get some fresh stuff. If you do not have some specific need for 8 Gb, you can go with 4, this is plenty for all the games out there. This should run less than $50.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
The M4 boards are last years news, you might as well go with an M5A97 if you are going to try replacing the mobo. The M5s are the latest from ASUS and you will get the 900 series chips along with the UEFI (mouse controlled) BIOS and a nifty auto-overclock feature that actually works quite well.You are also ready for the next generation of AMD CPUs (BD and siblings)with an M5 board . You can see that is what I have (EVO version) and I am quite pleased with it. You may possibly have an issue with swapping your OS to a new mobo, I do not know if ASUS locks the OS to a specific mobo with their retail units. For some reason I suspect they do not do this like Dell and HP do, but I could be wrong. If so you may end up springing for a new non-OEM Win7 for around $75 as well.

I still think there is a chance that this bottleneck/ stall you are experiencing could be memory related. You listed 8 Gb of RAM, but not what speed it runs at or what speed that board can actually handle. I mentioned yesterday about replacing 8 Gb of brand new RAM(1066 speed) in this rig with 4 Gb of 2000 speed RAM and it fixed the one tiny glitch I was experiencing in heavy games. If it is memory speed related, you may end up dropping another $25-$60 to get some faster memory. So, my advice is this: If you have the money and inclination you should get an M5A97 ($100) or EVO ($120). If you have the $, I would also get some fast memory- at the very minimum 1333. This is of course depending on what speed your current memory is, it might be fine. If it is 1066 though, I would bite the bullet and get some fresh stuff. If you do not have some specific need for 8 Gb, you can go with 4, this is plenty for all the games out there. This should run less than $50.
I will get that board, and I'm very sure that I have slower memory...it came stock with the PC as well. Now, I have the stock cooler now on my processor, so I have a couple of questions regarding power, overclocking, and cooling:

If I use the auto-OC feature, will it use a substantially larger amount of power and subsequently result in more heat? If so, what kind of cooler should I get and will my Thermaltake 600W pull this new board, RAM, my video and cooler?
post #13 of 37
You should consider the possibility your 2 generation old processor is just slow.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
You should consider the possibility your 2 generation old processor is just slow.
Guess you missed the point of most of this. The reason I am here asking for help determining what I need to do to speed it up, outside of buying a new processor every 4 months as they continue to release new technology. By replacing an OEM board, that's locked not allowing me to speed up the 2 generation old chip, I am aiming to fix that. I've gotten fantastic advice so far from very helpful people such as Jagged_Steel, making me feel better about the decent chip that I have without having to over pay for something such as an I-5.

Some people (most here on the forums to overclock.com) are aiming to make the best of what they have...stretching their dollar, making an affordable chip match or outperform the over-priced intel you are running. So I'd say allow me my space, here on the AMD forums, and keep smartass comments, such as yours, to yourself.

post #15 of 37
You also asserted you didn't think your CPU should be at 100% load when it definitely should be considering how slow it is.

You talk about stretching your dollar and you bought a pre-built...

Let me put it this way, you can do anything you want to that chip and my "overpriced" Intel will still crush it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
You also asserted you didn't think your CPU should be at 100% load when it definitely should be considering how slow it is.

You talk about stretching your dollar and you bought a pre-built...

Let me put it this way, you can do anything you want to that chip and my "overpriced" Intel will still crush it.
Working for Best Buy has its perks. I'd have never spent the retail price of $980 on this machine. Occasionally, there will be an item tucked away in a corner some where that has it's priced reduced when its been discontinued for 5 months or so. I spent $300 on the machine, I figured it was a good deal..if for nothing else, parts.

I can see why it's running at 100%. Again, the point in having the discussion that I am is to see how I can lift that..and since my machine is locked, I can't at all..even if its only 600mhz. By getting a new board, and perhaps faster RAM, it may fix my issue. The only thing I want it to do is play my game smoothly, not power the back end of my house.
post #17 of 37
Getting a new board and memory will definitley give you a proper base to start from. That is the upside. The downside is that if your CPU speed is the primary problem this may or may not fix it. You would definitley eliminate the possibility that your memory was bottlenecking, but you might still need to up your CPU speed. I am guessing that overclocking that x6 with a stock cooler might cause problems, but I don't have any experience there. I bet someone else around here will know for sure. The solution for this might be to use only 4 or even 2 cores on your x6 and clock the heck out of them. Your stock cooling should handle clocking up a reduced # of cores.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4170 @ 4.86 Ghz ASUS M5A97 EVO 2 x PowerColor AX6790 Crossfire 16GB (4 x 4GB) SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3D @1890 Mhz 8-9-9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD External USB AMD stock cooler Win7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23" DVI Fullsize, solid. OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W CM Praetorian 730 Black 
Mouse
Has red light on bottom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 37
Okay, so you have a $300 computer that can't game.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 1.4v/1.3v BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI GTX 460 SLi 850/1900 1.1v 8gb DDR3 @ 1860 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Pro 1920x1080 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged_Steel View Post
Getting a new board and memory will definitley give you a proper base to start from. That is the upside. The downside is that if your CPU speed is the primary problem this may or may not fix it. You would definitley eliminate the possibility that your memory was bottlenecking, but you might still need to up your CPU speed. I am guessing that overclocking that x6 with a stock cooler might cause problems, but I don't have any experience there. I bet someone else around here will know for sure. The solution for this might be to use only 4 or even 2 cores on your x6 and clock the heck out of them. Your stock cooling should handle clocking up a reduced # of cores.
Jagged Steel, thank you very much for all of your help. Based on what you've said here, it's helped me get an idea on where to go. I may or may not have asked in this thread if there is a good cooler you'd recommend, because I plan on getting one of those as well.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinitroN View Post
If you just wanted to play games smoothly you shouldn't have looked at the 6 cores like retard candy and got the i3-2100 which destroys your processor or any Phenom II in games.

I don't understand how you spend $980 on such a piece of crap.
Are you even reading grassygnome's posts?
Wind Tunnel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570K ASUS P8Z77-V LK ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7970 Diamond AMD Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 620gb WD Caviar Black 2x 1Tb WD Caviar Black  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x DVD Drive Zalman CNPS9700 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Model S Professional Rosewill Lightning 1300W Antec 1200 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Propus 380 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Audio-Technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Wind Tunnel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570K ASUS P8Z77-V LK ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7970 Diamond AMD Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2 620gb WD Caviar Black 2x 1Tb WD Caviar Black  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x DVD Drive Zalman CNPS9700 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Alienware Optx AW2310 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Model S Professional Rosewill Lightning 1300W Antec 1200 Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Mionix Propus 380 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Audio-Technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › My AMD Phenom x6core gaming issue