Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Will MSI accept an overclocked card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will MSI accept an overclocked card? - Page 4

post #31 of 40
Over clocking a card shouldn't void the warranty. IF you highered the voltage from stock or flahsed it to an unapproved vendor BIOS, your a done deal.

Video card vendors can test the card when they receive it even if it's dead btw and know exactly where it was last before it fried.

EVGA cards over clocked dosen't void the warranty in the slightest, they encourage it. However if you fry it due to over voltage or unapproved BIOS flash they didn't release, there's no turning back if you can't get it back to stock voltage or approved BIOS before sending it back.

Also vendors won't pick up the shipping to send it to them and return your dead card.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Over clocking comes with risks, it should go without saying. On Overclock.net we can't help but over clock, but should do so knowing the consequences.

Look at the bright side, it's time for an upgrade.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post
Over clocking a card shouldn't void the warranty. IF you highered the voltage from stock or flahsed it to an unapproved vendor BIOS, your a done deal.

Video card vendors can test the card when they receive it even if it's dead btw and know exactly where it was last before it fried.

EVGA cards over clocked dosen't void the warranty in the slightest, they encourage it. However if you fry it due to over voltage or unapproved BIOS flash they didn't release, there's no turning back if you can't get it back to stock voltage or approved BIOS before sending it back.

Also vendors won't pick up the shipping to send it to them and return your dead card.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Over clocking comes with risks, it should go without saying. On Overclock.net we can't help but over clock, but should do so knowing the consequences.

Look at the bright side, it's time for an upgrade.
Haha, the funny thing is I just bought it . I was a little uninformed and probably didn't do enough research, I thought it was a good match with my i5-2500k. Now I'm looking at the MSI Lightning GTX 580 (although in hindsight maybe I should switch to EVGA).

I didn't change the voltage above what MSI Afterburner would let me, are you sure the warranty is voided? Your answer seems to conflict with what most people are saying, do you have experience with MSI's RMA department?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuntu View Post
Haha, the funny thing is I just bought it . I was a little uninformed and probably didn't do enough research, I thought it was a good match with my i5-2500k. Now I'm looking at the MSI Lightning GTX 580 (although in hindsight maybe I should switch to EVGA).

I didn't change the voltage above what MSI Afterburner would let me, are you sure the warranty is voided? Your answer seems to conflict with what most people are saying, do you have experience with MSI's RMA department?
EVGA has one of the best RMA processes.....however even they won't accept a card if it's been over volted but not returned to stock voltage. Vendors don't mind owners pushing over clocks as long as they don't over volt or flash a BIOS that wasn't approved by them. Even though they make the software tool to over volt it. Not fair if you ask me since they give you the tool to do it, it still comes with the risk should you undertake it.

They have a way to test it after your return it to find the specs on last setting.

I've read countless RMA stories on EVGA and OCN web sites. I've never had to RMA so it's not first hand expeirence.

Seems they don't mind as long as it's not proven you went against warranty policy.

EVGA even allows for after market cooling as long as when you return it, you put it back to original.

Seems MSI is the same way.

MSI Warranty

"The product MUST be returned to MSI in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed prior to sending in the product for repair or replacement.

Products returned with customer-induced damage (including, but not limited to physical damage) will be charged for out of warranty repair fee."

So in short as you can see any modified condition. It's possible if they can fix it they might request a repair fee.

I would ask that you post back once you get your final result from this and update us on it's final decision by MSI. Good luck buddy.

Edited to add: BTW the GTX 580 is a great card. Any vendor really. It's just my preference to go EVGA for reference cards. MSI & Asus makes great non-reference cards in my opinion.

I chose reference as I prefer the hot air exhaust being blown out the rear air flow bracket keeping ambient temps inside case cooler in general as opposed to being dumped into my case even if the non-reference GPU itself run 15C cooler with slightly better over clock.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Nope, overclocking voids your warranty.
Sadly, this. :/
Mjolnir
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock Z77E-ITX Radeon HD 6850 Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 128GB SATA III SSD Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX PSU 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Mjolnir
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock Z77E-ITX Radeon HD 6850 Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 128GB SATA III SSD Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX PSU 
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post
EVGA has one of the best RMA processes.....however even they won't accept a card if it's been over volted but not returned to stock voltage. Vendors don't mind owners pushing over clocks as long as they don't over volt or flash a BIOS that wasn't approved by them. Even though they make the software tool to over volt it. Not fair if you ask me since they give you the tool to do it, it still comes with the risk should you undertake it.

They have a way to test it after your return it to find the specs on last setting.

I've read countless RMA stories on EVGA and OCN web sites. I've never had to RMA so it's not first hand expeirence.

Seems they don't mind as long as it's not proven you went against warranty policy.

EVGA even allows for after market cooling as long as when you return it, you put it back to original.

Seems MSI is the same way.

MSI Warranty

"The product MUST be returned to MSI in the original factory configuration and condition. All aftermarket modifications must be reversed prior to sending in the product for repair or replacement.

Products returned with customer-induced damage (including, but not limited to physical damage) will be charged for out of warranty repair fee."

So in short as you can see any modified condition. It's possible if they can fix it they might request a repair fee.

I would ask that you post back once you get your final result from this and update us on it's final decision by MSI. Good luck buddy.

Edited to add: BTW the GTX 580 is a great card. Any vendor really. It's just my preference to go EVGA for reference cards. MSI & Asus makes great non-reference cards in my opinion.

I chose reference as I prefer the hot air exhaust being blown out the rear air flow bracket keeping ambient temps inside case cooler in general as opposed to being dumped into my case even if the non-reference GPU itself run 15C cooler with slightly better over clock.
I hope you're wrong haha...

The only reason I even want to go with the MSI Lightning is because it's so much cooler. I haven't had the best luck with heat as you can tell. I also only have average airflow in my case so it might be worth the extra money to get the MSI Lightning. Although if MSI doesn't RMA my card I might rage and go with EVGA
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 40
Thread Starter 
I just ordered the 580 lightning off of newegg, no turning back now . If I get my 460 back, what do you think I can sell it for on ebay/craigslist? Also... would anyone be interested in a RMA'ed 460 cyclone ? I have the packaging and everything intact.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 40
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to let everyone know that they accepted the RMA and it is being shipped to me right now . In hindsight, I don't know how they wouldn't have accepted it since it was a software overclock - so absolutely no way to tell if it was overclocked or not.

Since I now have the MSI Lightning, I'll be selling the GTX 460 once it gets here. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz MSI P67A-GD65 MSI Lightning GTX 580 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x 2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Corsair Enthusiast 750TX v2 Antec Sonata Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuntu View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that they accepted the RMA and it is being shipped to me right now . In hindsight, I don't know how they wouldn't have accepted it since it was a software overclock - so absolutely no way to tell if it was overclocked or not.

Since I now have the MSI Lightning, I'll be selling the GTX 460 once it gets here. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying it.
Right on buddy - glad to hear your outcome was in your favor

Enjoy the hell out of that Lightning. It's a great non-reference card. Your going to love the performance. See ya around OCN.

PS. Come over to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 500 Series Owners Club and join up. It's a great place for a lot of reasons. Take care.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 40
Unless you flash the bios they are entitled to RMA the card since they can't prove you OCed it. The card is dead, now it's on them to figure out what happened. You're just a tech illiterate customer who barely knows how to turn on a computer, you expect a product to perform up to specifications, you'll never buy something from them again, you'll post your negative experiences all over the internet etc etc, tons of stuff you can throw at them and in 90% of cases it works.

Next time don't use OCCT, it stresses the GPU way too much. Just let it run a few rounds of 3D Mark 2011 and Heaven 2.5 (max settings). If it doesn't crash/artifact go play Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 for an hour, that's the final stability test. Lately I was bumping up my OC and I found that the card (at unstable clocks) would pass one in 3 tests, sometimes even 2 in 3 but never a whole hour of gaming.
Edited by Wulfgar - 8/23/11 at 9:41pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
This.

0 way for them to know.
That

Unless you BIOS flashed it to higher clocks (like my 275) they wont know, so just tell them you were using it to play BFBC2 and because of their passive fan profile the fan didnt spin up quick enough and it overheated

When i BIOS flashed my 275 i put in a more aggressive fan profile because default fan profiles let the card melt before rising a %.
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Oppress This!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 X4 B55BE @ 3.7 ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 GTX 470 + GTX 275 SOC 4gb Crucial Ballistix T 1600 6-8-6-20-24 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD640AAHLS + Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM + 2x150gb VRapt HP IDE + LG SATA Win 7 x64 ult 15" 1024x768 Dell (visually impaired) 
PowerCase
XFX XXX 650w (green fan) Antec 300 (Heavily Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Will MSI accept an overclocked card?